If you had to pick a time in pioneer life, what time period would it be?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question If you had to pick a time in pioneer life, what time period would it be?

What time period would it be?

Mine would have to be between 1850 - 1915. I think I was born too late. I absolutely love that time period.

How about you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DITTO, thats my time period too. Its such a wide spectrum of life really changing. We can only dream..........

Master Dollar Stretcher MJsLady's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well as long as we could use indoor plumbing any time would do! that is the only modern thing i would really miss

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love reading about that time period. I would want to visit but prob. not stay. I love going to visit murphys landing.
    http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.o...d=22&image=208

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have to say...1870's

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree 1870's I would have like to have been around to see all the changes. Although I think I might have been! Just wish I could remember it. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, thank you! I like my modern conveniences!

When I was a child, we lived pretty much like Little House on the Prairie because when we first moved to our farm we didn't have a well, or septic. We hauled water from the spring, washed our laundry in tubs, took baths in tubs, etc. We milked the cows, made butter, butchered our own hogs... the full deal, not just part of it. Dad even plowed the fields with a horse! It was a lot of work. A LOT OF WORK! I was about 5 when the madness ended (sort of, we still milked the cows and made butter, etc but we now had running water, septic, electricity and a tractor) and to this day I remember how exhausting it was and how we were constantly working! No thank you!

I think it's fun to dream about, but I think it's a lot harder than folks realize.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh... but if I just had to pick... 1890's. It was still pretty rugged in the Ozarks then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd love to live in the Little House on the Prarie days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ever cook on a wood stove?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to agree with you Suki, dreaming and doing are two different things. I love to visit historical sites that show how people lived without modern conveniences but it is not for me. I remember watching a PBS show about how modern people were put in a situation where they had to live as if in the 1800's. It was not easy for them and a real eye opener. They had to build their own house, till the land, build a school for the children. The work never seemed to end. I wish I knew the name of that show, I would love to watch it again.

I love to garden and can, make everything myself and can live very frugally but I also know if my garden fails one year I won't starve and if I am sick I can go to a modern hospital and get treatment. I have the best of both worlds minus the wood stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post
    What time period would it be?

Mine would have to be between 1850 - 1915. I think I was born too late. I absolutely love that time period.

How about you?
    I think that this would be the time period that I would pick also. I tried to unplug the frig. and dh like to have had a stroke over that one. I would probably make him go with me to the outhouse and stand there while I used the facilities but other than that I dont think that I would have a problem. As long as my hair didnt catch on fire or get caught in anything.

We were without power last winter during an ice storm for 7 days and we did not have a problem. We have a spring besides the well for water so we did not have to lug it too far. Yep 1850-1915 would be what I would pick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Julieb, are you thinking of Frontier House? I saw that series on PBS. It was a real eye opener for the kids to lose their electronic world. What struck me at the end of the series, was that many of the participants were sorry to see it end. They had developed a bond through the hardships. That's what I would like about living during that time period....no outside forces (internet, video games, TV, community activities, etc...) dividing my family. I'm very protective of the time we spend together. Even if we're working, it matters to me that we do it together.

How much we enjoy what we have is more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment.---Unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frontier House does sound familiar. I loved that show but missed the last two episodes!! That show was fascinating and I would never have thought of all the things they had to do to live. I wish I could find it to watch again.

I can understand you point of view Samigirl, but I still say I like my indoor plumbing, refrigerator, computer and modern medicine. As far as outside influences on the kids well we don't have any kids so I can't speak from that perspective.

I would love to step back in time and visit but really don't want to stay. I like to think we are entering a new frontier of alternative energy, frugal living and enviromental consciousness. I like to think we can combine then and now for the betterment of everyone.

I guess I am swerving a bit off the subject of the thread. My apologies. I would love to go back to the 1890's as long as I can comeback to the 2008, bringing everything I have learned and using it in today.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would like the 1880 and 1890's but I'd like to choose Northern Wisconsin so I could have known my great grandmothers. I've heard stories about them and seen their handy work. I'd love to have known them. But the first winter would probualy kill me. lol

Laurie in Bradenton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast