Frugal Village Forums banner

One of the reasons I want to be self-sufficent

877 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Guest1 
#1 ·
I found this article years ago (1968) and I find it very interesting to read it now especially when were wanting to become so self-sufficient. This article happened in Canada, but I'm sure was very similar in the USA.

RATIONING IN CANADA

Sugar: Rationing was first institued in Canada in 1942, with the rationing of sugar beginning on July 1st. Previous to that the public had been put on their honour not to buy more sugar than was absoluetly necessary. The first ration document was a card bearing coupons sufficient for ten weeks, at the end of which time, the first Ration book No. 1 was issued on Sept. 7th. Sugar was rationed at the rate of 1 lb. per coupon, with two coupons per month allowed to each individual holder of a ration book. This has been adhered to until June, 1945, when the ration was reduced to one coupon per month temporarily.
Ration books Nos. 2, 3 and 4 followed No. 1 at six month intervals but Ration Book No. 5, issued in the Fall of 1944, contains enough coupons to last for a whole year.

Tea/Coffee: Rationing of tea and/or coffee began on August 3rd, 1942, allowing one ounce of tea per week for ration book holders over the age of 12 years. This ration was increased on September 2nd, 1943, by making two coupons come due every three weeks, instead of every four weeks, and a further increase of 40% was granted on May 1st, 1944. Tea/coffee rationing was suspended altogether on September 18th, 1944.

Butter: Butter rationing came into effect on Dec. 21st, 1942, with a value of half pound per coupon. The amount of butter allowed per person has fluctuated from eight ounces per week to six ounces and back to seven ounces. The value of the coupon remained the same, the cut being taken care of by cancelling a coupon every six or eight weeks, as the case might be.

Meat: Meat was rationed on May 27th, 1943, and varied from 1/2 to 1 1/4 pounds per coupon, according to the cut and quality of the meat. Canned salmon was rationed on January 17th, 1944, at the rate of 1/4 pound of canned salmon for one meat coupon.
Meat rationing was temporarily suspended on Feb. 29th, 1944.
A strict meat ration was again imposed on Sept. 10, 1945, however, it was amended on Sept. 30th, so that there would be more cold meat per coupon. Fancy meats such as heart, tongue and liver were taken off the ration. Rationing varies from one to three pounds per coupon and tokens are now in use--eight tokens per coupon, thus enabling smaller famlies to buy small portions of meat.

Preserves: Rationing of preserves was introduced on Sept. 2, 1943 each preserve coupon having a value of 1/2 pound sugar, or 20 ounces of canned fruit, etc. During the periods Feb. to Mayh 32st in the years 1944 and 1945, it was possible to buy 40 ounces of maple syrup for each preserve coupon, but during the balance of the year, thge ration was 24 ounces of maple syrup for one coupon. During 1944, the canning sugar was taken care of by using the rationing sheets of "F" coupongs, instead of having to be specially applied for, as was done previously. These "F" coupons, could, if the individual so desired, be exchanged for preserve coupons, on the basis of one preserve coupon for one "F" coupon. In 1945, the canning sugar has been taken care of by using the preserve coupons, with their usual value of 1/2 pound of sugar for one coupon and having 20 extra preserve coupons come due to take care of this, on the basis of 10 pounds of canning sugar per person.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a very interesting article. My parents remember the food rations when they were small. They were very small then, however, and they remember some things and it is so interesting to hear about what they remember. When you read something like this it sure makes you realize how spoiled we really are.

Thanks for sharing.

yolo

#4 ·
good little article. Reminds me that self sufficiency is all about having choices.

Knowing how to cook frees me from having to buy expensive or chemical filled foods or go to fast food.

Knowing how to clean frees my time and money for better things, and knowing how to do it efficiently frees my energy.

Knowing how to budget and manage frugally frees dh and I to live without me having to go outside to work.

Knowing how to get along on 1 car frees dh and I from the costs of owning and operating a second car and it indirectly frees me from all the social obligations that I'd be asked to fulfill all the time if I had one.

Knowing stuff gives me choices and independance and a feeling of security in being able to handle the curve balls life throws my way.:D

#5 ·
That sure makes me stop and think about all the things that I take for granted. I will think about this the next time I am at the grocery store. :)

#6 ·
canadian gardener said:
good little article. Reminds me that self sufficiency is all about having choices.

Knowing how to cook frees me from having to buy expensive or chemical filled foods or go to fast food.

Knowing how to clean frees my time and money for better things, and knowing how to do it efficiently frees my energy.

Knowing how to budget and manage frugally frees dh and I to live without me having to go outside to work.

Knowing how to get along on 1 car frees dh and I from the costs of owning and operating a second car and it indirectly frees me from all the social obligations that I'd be asked to fulfill all the time if I had one.

Knowing stuff gives me choices and independance and a feeling of security in being able to handle the curve balls life throws my way.:D

Very good points.....good article CJ - certainly causes me to stop & reflect....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.