Annual Sales and Seasonal Discounts Calendar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exclamation Annual Sales and Seasonal Discounts Calendar

I had this in my Household Notebook when I was really keeping up with it (several years ago). I found this the other day in some files I found on my hard drive and thought it would help you too. I found this on a website back in 2004. I'm sorry, but I didn't make note of the site back then. You can copy & paste this into a word doc to save it for yourself, if you'd like. It comes in really hand for what items to expect to get a bargain on during each of the 12 months, from groceries to household items to travel bargains.
    Enjoy!

ANNUAL SALES AND SEASONAL DISCOUNTS CALENDAR

JANUARY
    Most people know about after-Christmas-sales with savings of 50%-90% on cards, decorations and candies. Keep cards in a box with a small freshener and they will look brand new next year. In addition look for substantial discounts on items that were hot sellers at Christmas time such as winter clothing, cookware, kitchen gadgets, housewares, rugs and toys. You may find these on the closeout shelves.

TYPICAL JANUARY ANNUAL SALES: Annual white sales; stock up on linens, sheets and towels.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE:
    January: Appliances, furniture.

NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are really fresh. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher, taste better and that money may be going to local farmers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: avocados, broccoli, cabbage, celery, collards, endive, grapefruit, kale, oranges, rutabagas, tangerines, winter squash.

FEBRUARY
    Valentine candy will be marked down drastically after the 14th. The most dramatic sale will be on specially designed Valentine's Day boxes and candies.

MAJOR SALES EVENT: Watch for various Presidents Day sales; electronics are often discounted along with other major purchases (see below).

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: In addition to store sales, look for close-outs from big catalogue companies such as L.L.Bean and Land's End.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: February: Air conditioners, audiovisual equipment, computers, exercise equipment, furniture, mattresses, used cars. Look for sales around President's Day.

BEWARE: Jewelry stores often promote big sales around Valentines Day, but the savings are often not much more than the regular price. Don't be fooled.

NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are really fresh. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher, taste better and that money may be going to local farmers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: avocados, broccoli, cabbage, celery, endive, grapefruit, oranges, rutabagas.

MARCH
    TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Winter clothes are often on close-out. There may be promotions for spring fashions along with some warm weather goods such as camping and gardening.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: March: Laundry appliances.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: artichokes, avocados, bananas, beans (green & wax), broccoli, cabbage, celery, endive, grapefruit, nectarines, pineapples, onions (bermuda), oranges, rutabagas, spinach.

APRIL
    Easter candy goes on sale after Easter. Look for packages with Easter markings. While the chocolate may be the same as any other box, the price is much lower. Expect as much as 90% off on chocolate and other candy. Stock up for birthdays and anniversaries.

Get free tax record books from banks and tax preparers. Always ask if you don't see them.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Some early spring clothing may go on sale at close-out prices.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: April: No regular sales.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: asparagus, artichokes, avocados, bananas, beans (green & wax), celery, grapefruit, nectarines, pineapples, onions (bermuda), radishes, rhubarb, spinach, watercress.

MAY
    TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Gardening supplies, luggage, mattresses, late spring clothes; also look for annual sales on new summer clothes.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: May: Jewelry, outdoor furniture, TVs, some appliances.

TRAVEL: May shoulder season travel (just before or after the peak season) is often a good bargain and less crowded.

NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are really fresh. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher and that money may be going to local farmers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: asparagus, bananas, beets, bermuda onions, blueberries, cabbage, cantaloupe, celery, corn, cucumbers, grapefruit, green or wax beans, green onions, lemons, lettuce, nectarines, oranges, peas, pineapples, plums, raspberries, radishes, rhubarb, strawberries, spinach, squash, watercress.

JUNE
    Change or clean all the filters on air conditioners. These should be cleaned at least once a month in hot weather. You should have your central AC cleaned and examined by service company.

NOTE: Find a company that has been in business for a long time with a good reputation. Avoid new companies that have no track record.

Raise the temperature of the AC; You will save about 5% for every degree you raise your thermostat over 70 degrees. Most people find they are quite comfortable at 75 degrees inside instead of 70. It is also less of a shock to your body to go outside into the hot air if the temperature in the house is not very cold.

Air out your basement - this is a good time to prevent mold and rot from taking over.

If your car has not been tuned in six months, get it tuned before summer travel.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Electronics, summer sporting goods also early summer clothes.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: June: Furniture, mattresses.
    NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are really fresh. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher and that money may be going to local farmers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: Apples, apricots, asparagus, bananas, bermuda onions, blackberries, blueberries, cabbage, cantaloupe, celery, cherries, corn, cucumbers, green or wax beans, green onions, lemons, limes, lettuce, nectarines, okra, peas, pineapples, plums, raspberries, radishes, rhubarb, strawberries, squash, tomatoes, watercress, watermelon.

JULY
    MAJOR SALES EVENT: After the Fourth of July you may find major savings. July is one of the best times to look for clearance sales of warm weather clothing including bathing suits and beach items. Watch for special sidewalk and other sales. In July you will still find a good selection. Look for store brand clothing *below cost* at the end of the month and into August. The reason there are major sales at this time is that stores are getting ready for the "Back to School" season which one of their biggest. In July you might even find some early specials on back-to-school clothes.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: July: Air conditioners, appliances, audiovisual equipment, furniture, bicycles, mattresses, refrigerators, tires, washers & dryers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cabbage, cantaloupe, celery, chard, cherries, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green or wax beans, green onions, green peppers, lemons, lima beans, limes, lettuce, nectarines, okra, peaches, peas, plums, squash, tomatoes, watercress, watermelon.

AUGUST
    TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: You might find some pre-Labor Day sales. You will get a better selection before the big sales in September. There also may be some promotions on back-to-school items.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: August: Furniture.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, celery, chard, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, grapes, green or wax beans, green onions, green peppers, lima beans, limes, melons, nectarines, peaches, peas, pears, plums, summer squash, tomatoes.

SEPTEMBER
    MAJOR SALES EVENT: Labor Day sales and sales following Labor Day are clearance days. Stores need to sell warm weather stuff and restock their shelves with Christmas and cold weather goods.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Major clearance after Labor Day. Look for sales on summer and spring clothing. Look for also sales on camping, cook ware, dishes, fans, patio and pool, recreation, tires.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: September: New cars from current year model after new model introduction of next year's models (NMI), furniture, air conditioners.

TRAVEL: The September shoulder season travel (just after the peak season) is often a good bargain and less crowded.

NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are really in season. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher, taste better and that money may be going to local farmers.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, cantaloupe, celery, chard, corn, cucumbers, grapes, green peppers, lima beans, nectarines, pears, tomatoes.

OCTOBER
    Look for deals on Halloween items after Oct. 31 such as candy, costumes, decorations. Expect drastic discounts.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Early sales on fall and winter clothing, fishing gear, school supplies, women's coats, clearance on any lingering items from the previous season.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: October: Appliances, new cars from current year model after new model introduction of next year's models (NMI) and furniture.

TRAVEL: October is a great time to go to Florida when it is often a good bargain and less crowded.

NOTE: With some produce now available all during the year, many people have forgotten when fruits and vegetables are freshest. Buying in season means that these items are often cheaper, fresher, taste better tastier and that money may be going to area farmers and staying within the local community.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chard, cranberries, escarole, grapes, green peppers, lima beans, parsley, pears, pumpkins, rutabagas, winter squash, tomatoes, turnips.

NOVEMBER
    Put fresh batteries in your smoke detectors. Reuse old batteries from those detectors in other devices such as a TV remote control. These old batteries will run for a long time; you just should not trust your life to year old batteries.

Do all Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving. You can get better deals before the hectic days of December and you will avoid the crowds.

Turkeys are often inexpensive. Buy several and freeze.

Check all doors, windows for drafts. Clean your furnace and change filters. This is a good time to clean windows so they let in more light and even clean light bulbs, lamp shades and light fixtures so that you get the maximum light.

You also might consider putting long lasting and efficient fluorescent bulbs in dark hallways and stairways and leaving them on most of the evening. The energy cost will be minimal and the light will help prevent falls and accidents in these accident prone areas.

Tune your car before winter starts. Do a winter automobile check up. Get antifreeze early; the price always goes up in the winter.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: Shoes, boys clothing, blankets.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: November: Appliances, used cars.

TRAVEL: November is a great time to go to Florida when it is often a good bargain and less crowded.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cranberries, endive, grapefruit, grapes, lima beans, mushrooms, parsley, rutabagas, winter squash, turnips.

DECEMBER
    --CHEAPER AROUND CHRISTMAS

Some things are actually cheaper during the season. It's that old supply and demand thing. 7 1/2 watt Christmas tree lights can cost as little as 10 cents apiece. These are the same lights that go into nite lights (usually white or clear) that many people use to illuminate their hallways. Yet if you go to a store for a nit elight bulb you can pay as much as 70 cents apiece. So buy a bunch.

The same is true for candles. If you like to burn a candle or two other times of the year, you will pay a small fortune. Yet at Christmas, candles are cheap. We live in an area where the power seems to get knocked out during a hurricane or a winter storm so having a supply of candles is very comforting.

Stock up on these two items and buy enough to last you until this time next year.

--FREE CALENDARS, PLANNERS

You can often find free calendars at restaurants, hardware stores, utility companies and many other locations. You may be able to find quite a variety including desk calendars, small wallet size calendars about the size of a business card and even some on bamboo such as we got from a Chinese restaurant or full wall calendars with phases of the moon and Farmer's Almanac type information.

Also banks and tax services often give out a number of different record keeping books. For example, free planners may be available from banks, but often you have to ask. Tax log booklets for recording tax deductible expenses are often free from tax services.
    • BEWARE: When you exchange or get a refund for a Christmas gift make sure that you get what you're owed:
    • #1. Get a refund or credit for the price that was really paid. Since so many items go on sale right after Christmas, clerks may only credit you for the current sale price, not the actual price that was paid. This is not proper. Insist on getting a full credit or refund.
    • #2. Make sure that any tax is also refunded. Stores have a way of "fogetting" to refund the tax.
    BEWARE: Jewelry stores often promote big sales around Christmas, but the savings are often not much more than the regular price. Don't be fooled.

TYPICAL ANNUAL SALES: The day *AFTER* Christmas prices drop dramatically. We suggest parents give their kids some cash to spend on sales during this time period. Items like bathrobes and sweaters can be cut in half along with other Christmas items.

MAJOR PURCHASES TYPICALLY ON SALE: December: Don't buy anything around Christmas.

TRAVEL: Early December is a great time to go to Florida when it is often a good bargain and less crowded.

FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: apples, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, collards, cranberries, endive, grapefruit, kale, mushrooms, oranges, parsley, rutabagas, winter squash, turnips.
    Last edited by MrsOcean; 11-30-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW, what a wealth of information here. Thank you!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you - I copied the list to my budget sheet so I can refer to it often. I've already bought Christmas clearance at 90% and White Sale Items (flannel sheets and pillows for 50% off). But I should look for inexpensive pillar candles for my emergency kit. Thanks for the reminder!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, what a great list! Thanks! I especially liked seeing the fruits and veggies that are considered "in season" each month. I'd just been trying to find something like that earlier in the day, with no luck! So thanks again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love these lists....

A couple not on the list that I look for....

After Christmas is when I purchase nuts (in and out of shell). They are generally 50% off. I vacuum seal them in jars or bags using a FoodSaver. Hubby is nice enough to shell nuts for me while he's "BUSY" watching football, but this is an inexpensive way to stock-up on nuts for the year.

Back-to-School time. This is when I find and use coupons for things like individual-serving fruit/pudding and other lunch box items, when these things are traditionally on sale. These are foods we keep in our 72-hour emergency kit. This is food that doesn't require heating or refrigeration (for those power outages).

Sample:

Three Day Supply of Food (no refrigeration or cooking required):
    Canned tuna fish or pork & beans ( lb/person)
    Nonfat dry milk ( lb/person)
    Graham crackers (l lb/person)
    Dried apricots (1 lb/person)
    Canned orange or tomato (V-8) juice (46 oz/person)
    Peanut butter ( lb/person)
    *This supplies daily 2100 calories and essential nutrients.

Other substitution ideas:
    Nuts, raisins, fruit rollups, granola bars, dried beef, jerky, canned meats, crackers, fruit, pudding, presweetened powdered drinks, such as lemonade, box drinks, hard candy, candy bars, energy bars, and dry cereals.

I also stock-up on soft/lotion varieties of Kleenex or Puffs at back-to-school time. We normally use Clarissa brand from Aldi, but when I can use a coupon and the namebrand tissue are on sale, I'll add a few boxes to my stash to use when someone has a cold to prevent that sore nose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure about other stores but JCPenney usually does their biggest clearance markdowns in June/July and again in December/January... They start markdowns a couple weeks before X-mas.
    Which why you'll have a hard time finding a bathing suit in July and especially August, and a hard time finding a winter coat in January.

Also, Penney's Billion Dollar jewelry sale is the best time to buy jewelry... But make sure to buy only on the first day of the sale (or if you can't be there do the pre-sale-pay now pick it up on or after first day of sale)...

The first day of the sale has extra percentages off, The next best time to buy jewelry there would be any time they have a pre-sale for something... Or... Doorbusters.

The normal prices on Penney's jewelry is 40% on Diamonds and Gemstones-Includes pearls, 50% on Gold and Fine Sterling Silver and 60% on gold chains... The lowest price you'll see these things are 50%, 60%, and 60% respectively... Prior to clearance markdowns anyways (which may not happen at all-the items are sometimes sent back to the vendors).