Frugal Village Forums banner

What is in your price book

Tags
book price
14K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  homeflowuk 
#1 ·
I think it would be a great idea to list each others price books so we could have a collective location for such information.

I'll go first.

Mac and Cheese in a box

Store______$____OZ____Per OZ
Cub Food___.59__7.25
Walmart___.50__7.25
Target_____.52__7.25___.07172
Target____2.04__12.90__.15813

I haven't checked out Aldi yet.

#4 ·
just bought some Mac-n-cheese from Aldi today
Aldi - .35 cents-7.25oz box -.048 cents per oz
and I'm happy to report it actually tastes really good!

#7 ·
Dove Deodorant ultimate go fresh cool essentials cucumber & green tea sent -My fave!

Family Dollar $2.75 1.6 oz $1.72 per oz
Target $3.69 2.6 oz $1.42 per oz

I was very surprised to find it is cheaper per oz at Target compared to Family Dollar(a discount store)! It really pays to compare prices!

#10 ·
How to figure out what is cheaper per oz.

An example:

A box of mac and cheese at walmart is .50 for 7.25 ozs.

So to find out how much each oz is... divide .50 by 7.25.

.50/7.25 = .06

--------------

Some people do it backwards like this. 7.25/.50 = 14.50

But thats wrong. Your not trying to figure out how many oz to cents, your trying to figure out how many cents to an oz. You get the wrong number if you do this.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
Dates are handy in price books and if the price is a sale or regular price, so you can track how often something is/goes on sale.

#12 ·
I used to have a price book but package sizes & prices are changing so quickly I haven't bothered to keep up.:dis:

#14 ·
My price books looks like this:

1) Each page has the item type at the top. It can be "meats", "produce", "health and beauty", etc. Generalization is good here, especially if you have the price book either in a binder (with dividers) or in a one-subject notebook.

2) The first entry would be the item's more specific details. For example, if the binder/notebook is devoted to meats, the first line would be something like 'Ground Beef, Regular 1lb".

3) The second entry would have the following information from left to right: Store name, Regular Price, Sale Price.

4) If the item falls under specific sales, I put little notes on the right side of the line. So if it's BOGOF, 50% off, etc then I put that there.

So my price book in all would look like this:

MEATS

Ground Beef, Regular 1lb

Safeway $1.99 $1.49 Manag Spec, 50% off
Sobey's $2.35 $1.79 50% off, BOGOF
Co-Op $1.69 $0.99 Bi-Annual Sale, 50% off

I'd write in the store name and the item specifics in pen, write in the rest in pencil (to make it neater).

Reactions: dinah
#17 ·
phoenix - MommyTrap started this thread back in Feb of 2009 so pricing has definitely changed since then.

I tried to keep a price book but like others in this thread - the fluctuating sizes made it more effort to keep a price book then I thought necessary. I have an idea of what a 'good price' is to me for specific and regular items that we buy so we tend to go with that. I ball park most things and tend to buy when there's sales and I love scouring the clearance section :)

#18 ·
It is really hard to get a price book with the many areas we come from and yes it is hard to keep one anyways! HEHE Thanks for pointing it out that this was from 2009 :D OMG LOL

#19 ·
Price Books

What an excellent idea! I've never heard of a price book before but can see the benefits and want to start one. I'm constantly comparing prices before I shop, especially for craft supplies. The Internet is a great help for that. I can remember when my aunt who was a very frugal shopper would to wait each week for store sales papers to be mailed to her or included in the evening newspaper before she made her shopping lists. Being able to research online makes it so much easier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.