Need advice with home manual
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need advice with home manual

I've been giddy over making my first home manual, (I call it my life management journal) but I'm having trouble with the schedule/home tasks section.

I work a full time retail job which means my schedule varies everyday, from working 10am -7pm, 4pm -12pm, and everything in between. I do not have the same days off either. There are some nights when I won't get home till 1 am, and I might have to open the next morning. Such is the life!

With such a hectic schedule, can anyone give me tips as to manage my cleaning schedule, and ritual schedules? I'd be so appreciative, as scheduling ANYTHING with this job is nearly impossible!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, to me it looks like you need a flexible schedule.

Instead of list with "Monday chores", I would have something with "day off chores".

I know there are some chores I would prefer to do after getting off work and some I'd prefer before work. Make a chart for that. It may not be as predictable as Mon, Tues, Wed...but I think it would work with your schedule.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with 2ndgen about having a more flexible home journal. It would make a lot more sence to do it that way than the "traditional" way. HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are two ladies who wrote a book on cleaning schedules. Get your act together is the name of one of their books. What it entails is writing each chore on a 3 x 5 card and then putting if the chore is monthly, weekly or daily. Then grab the cards each day that need to be done. I like it; but haven't been very good at implementing it yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Sidetracked Home Executives, have chores on 3 x 5 cards too.

I've done retail for years. Try breaking tasks into 15 minute blocks and then do the blocks that have to be done, first.

Also, go through your cookbooks and either start crockpot meals as you get breakfast OR find what prep you can do in the a.m. before you leave. That means that when you get back you don't have as much to do. I draw a pencil line in my recipes between the before and after work stuff. For example, I can chop veggies/meat, grate the cheese, and get seasoning measured for quiche in the a.m. The veggies get put in the frig in a bag, the grated cheese likewise. The seasonings are in a small bowl on the counter. The necessary clean up happens.

When I get home, all I have to do (assuming I have a premade crust) is beat the eggs with the seasoning, add the veggies and cheese and pop it in the oven. THAT I'm capable of after 8-10 hours of retail. The idea of chopping, grating, and measuring as well can seem overwhelming after hours of dealing with the public.

For large tasks, if the 15 minute idea doesn't work, try treating it like the cooking, as above. Do what you can first thing in the a.m. and then finish it up at night.

Remember machines that will work while you are also working are your FRIENDS! Not just your crockpot, but the dishwasher and clothes washer too. They happily work while you do, so start them when you can before you go and finish when you get back.

I never have had a rigid schedule, it didn't work for me. I tried the 3 x 5 cards for a bit but got discouraged when I was continually behind. Not having someone else's idea of what had to happen imposed on me works better for me.

IHTH!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much! grouping tasks/cooking into times of day seems much more approachable - since yes, sometimes after 8-10 hours with the public I can barely spell my name The card idea seems good too! I'm looking into those books right now. Thanks so much everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess my system is sort of like the one mentioned above. Mine are listed in a notebook. Weekly daily/weekly/occasionally. I just pick one that I've got time for and check it off. My schedule is nuts even though I don't work.
    I figure as long as I hit the high spots and do more when I've got time it's all good.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can't stick to a rigid schedule either. Even though I don't work outside the house, with everyone having crazy schedules, I am constantly coming and going.

So basically, I have a list of things I wish to do each week. It hangs on my fridge on the side where no one can see it. And my goal at the end of each week is to have everything checked off. And usually if I stick to it, my house stays pretty tidy and things get done! At least I know everything is getting done once a week!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i agree with what has been said. make a list of the things that need to be done daily, weekly, monthly and then less often stuff, like furnace filters and whatever. then just get it all done. a daily routine would also help everyday when you get up do ABC and then b4 bed do DEF really simple stuff like 15mins to put things away or wipe off the counters then it wouldnt matter what time you went to work and it wont be an overwhelming amount of work on your day off
    Reba

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Dial View Post
    The Sidetracked Home Executives, have chores on 3 x 5 cards too.

I've done retail for years. Try breaking tasks into 15 minute blocks and then do the blocks that have to be done, first.

Also, go through your cookbooks and either start crockpot meals as you get breakfast OR find what prep you can do in the a.m. before you leave. That means that when you get back you don't have as much to do. I draw a pencil line in my recipes between the before and after work stuff. For example, I can chop veggies/meat, grate the cheese, and get seasoning measured for quiche in the a.m. The veggies get put in the frig in a bag, the grated cheese likewise. The seasonings are in a small bowl on the counter. The necessary clean up happens.

When I get home, all I have to do (assuming I have a premade crust) is beat the eggs with the seasoning, add the veggies and cheese and pop it in the oven. THAT I'm capable of after 8-10 hours of retail. The idea of chopping, grating, and measuring as well can seem overwhelming after hours of dealing with the public.

For large tasks, if the 15 minute idea doesn't work, try treating it like the cooking, as above. Do what you can first thing in the a.m. and then finish it up at night.

Remember machines that will work while you are also working are your FRIENDS! Not just your crockpot, but the dishwasher and clothes washer too. They happily work while you do, so start them when you can before you go and finish when you get back.

I never have had a rigid schedule, it didn't work for me. I tried the 3 x 5 cards for a bit but got discouraged when I was continually behind. Not having someone else's idea of what had to happen imposed on me works better for me.

IHTH!

Judi
    Judi,

same people I as talking about Pam Young and Peggy Jones are the authors names