Moving Binder

Thread: Moving Binder

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Moving Binder

I'm going to make a binder for our move. I'm normally a computer record person, but during those final days I will definitely want everything at my fingertips wherever I am.

This is what I've thought of so far, if anyone has suggestions, please share.

Checklist:
    • Print out list of items that need to be done in the final week.
    • Extra space on the page to write in things that come up last minute.
    • List of things to check before leaving (windows closed, etc.)
    • List of things to put in car

Timeline
    • Weekly day planner sheets starting week before move until week after completion.
      • For writing down appointments for utility cutoff/hookups, lawyers, final inspections, etc.
      • Include name/date of contact person and/or confirmation number for disconnections.

Phone Numbers:
    Utilities,movers, lawyer, realtor, bank, storage facility (include contact names, hours of business)

Papers pertaining to House Sale:
    • Purchase agreement
    • Papers from lawyer at closing

Papers pertaining to Destination:
    (Depending on whether we find an apt. or end up in storage)
    • Address & unit number, lease agreement
    • Floor plan/furniture layout

Papers pertaining to Household Goods:
    • My list of what is in boxes
    • Movers' numbered list of items, all other papers from moving company.
    • List of must have items/boxes, either to open first, or to have brought to parent's house instead of storage. Make sure boxes are clearly marked.

Envelope for Receipts:
    • Print out of the list of eligible expenses for tax purposes
    • Mileage log sheet
    • Envelope to keep receipts from hotel/meals/etc.
    • Expense log for running total
    Last edited by monkeywrangler71; 05-06-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Adding everyone's ideas / formatting for easier reading

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing hubby did to make moving our in-laws into their new place easier was make scale drawings of the rooms (windows , closets & doors noted) and the furniture (made cut outs) they owned so they could arrange and rearrange to figure out where things would fit. When they agreed on the layout we taped it down and it was used to tell movers where to place things. It was so so useful and maybe something you can do and keep in your binder.
    Nice list you have going there. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe in addition to phone numbers for utilities, write down the dates and times that utilities will be turned on and off. Also, the date and time the movers will be there and when your closing is. Kind of like a timeline.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great ideas! I'm going to edit my original post to include them, so I have everything listed in one spot.

We don't know where we are going yet, but a floorplan is a great idea if we find a place in time. Otherwise, stuff will be going into storage and we'll have to stay at my parents' house. Either way we will need some info in there about the destination.

Timeline, I'm thinking a couple pages of a weekly planner - the ones with a week to a page, broken down into time slots. Maybe the week before and after, or as long as it drags on until we're into a place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also, maybe list out which boxes you are putting your "must have items" in. You might have 20 boxes from your kitchen, but day one you are gonna need your essentials. Marking the "open this box first" for each room will help you transition into your home a little easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by beks37 View Post
    Maybe in addition to phone numbers for utilities, write down the dates and times that utilities will be turned on and off. Also, the date and time the movers will be there and when your closing is. Kind of like a timeline.
    Don't forget to include WHOM you spoke with and WHERE (as in call centre city) of when you canceled things.

IE Bob @ Call Centre Toronto, Cust Svc Dept.

Even better if you can get a confirmation number too. This avoids all sorts of billing headaches in the future and of course this applies to more then just utilities - it covers anything you're canceling form your current home. I know this trick has saved me a few times.

If you'd like to be more diligent about it, you can set aside x amount of dollars in your bank for travel expenses by category and log them all in your book as well. Just keep a running total of how much you spent on the outside of your receipt envelope by category and your goal is to not exceed your set limit.