Alright Notebookers...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Alright Notebookers...

We've been talking a little lately about notebooks. I find that they really do keep me organised. (However I think I have gone a bit overboard. ) DH says he is positive the quantity of them is directly related to my OCD. He's probab;y right...

How many do you keep using on a daily or weekly basis? I have at least a dozen that I refer to some two, three times a day. Some once a month, and the rest somewhere in between. What do you find as your most important for referencing? Mine is my Household notebook, and currently my pregnancy notebook. What Notebooks do you have? What do you keep in each? Please, share your notebooks with us all, i'll share mine if you want.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok - I am not quite up there where you are but - I have:

• a family planner that has personal info, schedules, sizes, goals , pasts gifts I have bought and whether thye were good, movies to see, books to read
    • a maintenance notebook with receipts and manuals on everything we have - notebooks are divide into 1) large appliance notbook; small appliance notebook: tools notebook; and entertainment /electrical notebook ~ 4 seperate 3 rings but all kept together and color categorized
    • Household inventory notebook with copies of receipts
    • fitness notebook with different diets and routines, tracks weight records and pounds inches
    • tax deductions notebook
    • Craft Ideas notebook
    • wedding planner notebook for future business
    • pattern and clothing ideas notebook with fabric swatches page
    • Feng shui notebook with each room divided int gua's and any possible enhancements
    • Recipe notebook Primary  and three seperate notebooks for each of the kids for when they leave the house
    • Petcare , ages and vet treatments notebook.
    • Christmas planning notebook
    • Storage inventory notbook
    • three seperate school progress notebooks (one for each kid) for the year , then it goes into the baby box and we start over.
    • and a clipboard inventory for each food storge area.
    • a magazine notebook that catalogues where things are in different magazines that I want to refer back to
    • And finally a Village notebook that says all about you guys - where you are your real names, addresses, kids names and ages, likes, interests and a section of smilies!! 

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great list Kimmee!!

I have far less than that!!

~family planner........for personal stuff, activities, committments....

~budget.........general monthly expenses for bills, gas for vehicles and groceries

~budget.....big bills that hit yearly......property tax on home, property tax on property, car insurance, house insurance, vehicle registrations

~grocery stuff......I list menus, recipes, grocery lists and inventories of what I have on hand

~any projected expenses......vacation, birthdays, dd's graduation this year...

~dream notebook........fun to list all the things we would love to do and have!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! I wish I was as organized as you guys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with Jennifer WOW!!!! I want to get organized but I barely have time to eat and sleep much less time to actually write in a notebook. Hmmm maybe I can get organized soon as this semester is over and then be able to keep it up...I already seen a future for a goals notebook

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I so need to start keeping Notebooks.

Kimmee.....how do you keep up with all of them? I am definitely going to make one for the village. That was a great idea!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey - I am no Missy !! She probably has a notebook on regular schedules!! LOL - just kidding Missy - I do wish I was as anal about them as you are though!!
    My notebooks are just something I have always done and enjoy doing - I am a very visual person I have to be constantly "putting it in writing" or I 'd forget my own name!!

MMP
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a cookbook and a Christmas planner I just started this year while doing the organizedhome.com Christmas thingie.

Here are my goals, what kind of sections in the notebook do you all think I should do???

My goals are: (sure hope I can make them work)

NUMBER ONE: STAY HOME!!!!

NUMBER TWO: CASH ONLY, except bills in the mail

No eating out unless planned

Eat what we have

Stick to $75 a week for groceries(I hope to do a $500 grocery shopping spree in the spring, hitting the salvage store and Sam's club to round out the pantry)

Make a master shopping list

Cook from scratch as much as possible

Weekly or biweekly menu planning

Stick to $100 a week for non grocery items(plan on some of the shopping spree to be on nongrocery items)

Use what we have

Get door and window quilts made using fabric I have to keep heat and cold out

Take a look at bills and reduce where we can

Get the clothesline fixed

No more toys unless it is bday or Christmas

No more computer games

Bday and Christmas gifts limited to $50 per child each holiday

Make gifts when possible

No more DVDs except for Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. And try to find ones out of the $5.50 bin

Kid's clothes: $200 per school child and $100 per nonschool child(if I get Bri into Headstart, I will have 3 school kids and 2 nonschool kids)

LAST BUT NOT LEAST savings plan in order

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gimme a little bit MMP and I will have something worked up that you might be able to use. I will post that this afternoon. I don't know if I can help, but I'll try.

Here's the notebooks I have:

*Household Notebook, sections for large appliance reciepts and booklets, section describing the division of chores, laminated maps of the kitchen, bath and laundry rooms (my mom asked for these, so when she visits for when babies were/are born she can step in and know where everything is), Special notes about how i go about a.) laundry b.)kids schedules and so on (again mom asked for this for her to be able to step in). A section for frequently used numbers, ie phone payments, friends, family, each category on seperate papers. **friends and family have their addy's too** Basic info on our house, when built, where meters are, where shut off valves etc are, map of where the underground pipes are, map of our boundaries are, so on. Lists of things we'd like to improve or add to the property.

Frugal Notebook (cut and pasted from my post about this here at FV in another thread)
    *under income:
    Income from surveys
    Income from sales of crafts
    Other Income
    dh's salary
    *under expenses:
    grocery (with a column for showing savings from 1. rebates 2. coupons)
    household shopping (ie appliance, furniture, etc)
    clothing
    utilities
    garbage
    mortgage
    vehicle upkeep
    medical bills
    *our household budget info:
    updated monthly
    *Frugal tips
    ie things like using 1/2 a sheet of dryer sheets per load etc
    *Frugal recipes
    laundry soap recipes
    home made "bisquick mix'' master mix recipe
    etc
    food recipes i have found here at fv
    omac recipes
    *Crunchy things we do and can try to do to save money and environment
    HM sanitary napkins
    using hankies instead of tissues
    trying to make hm wipes/"wet ones"
    using kitchen towels instead of paper towels

Pregnancy Notebook http://frugalvillage.com/forums/show...nancy+Notebook

Coupon Notebook
    divided with labled baseball card pages for each category. Each baseball card page holds my coupons for that category. A section specifically for instore rebate forms, and such. Also menu plans, shopping lists, pen, extra paper, calculator, etc

Craft Notebook (also used for Decorating info)
    Fabric and paint swatches, projects I want to do with lists of supplies i need to get/ supplies i have on hand for such project. Yarn samples for projects i have finished (so i can match that if i want to make a coordinating hat to go with a sweater or something) Drawings of projects, with kids measurements so i can get correct amounts of supplies, A pulled from the phone book map section (so i can find out of the way craft stores i want to try)list of craft stores in the city, a section of craft stores business cards, A section with make and model of my machines so if i find an accessory, i know if it is compatible with my machines.

Spiritual Notebook
    Sections included are Quite time Notes, Bible study notes, Prayers, Blessings, Bible Reading plan, scripture or memory verse, and specific prayers helpful scripture. I have printed out some stories from the spirituality forum here to add, uplifting stories.

LSWC (my church) Notebook
    activities we have joined, schedules, contacts, etc

FV Notebook
    Swaps, contests, friends names and email addy's screen names, ideas for activities i might do in the scrapbooking forum, tutorial notes for me to do, tutorials i want to try from other members, hugs notes, etc

Onilne boards Notebook
    Info from other boards, mainly Freecycle, things I have posted there and things i have responded to. Other boards I belong to, info and password to get into those, particularly health related boards.

Mommy's Notes Notebook
    a catch all noebook for scribbled notes with phone numbers to remember and so on. Also I have weekly to do lists that i transfer from our dry erase board to the notebook. a years worth of back dated calendar. sometimes i need to know "...now what date did i have the car serviced? I KNOW it was in January sometime..."or such, so i keep a years back of calendar in there too.

Pet Keeping Notebook
    Shot records, date adopted, spay an neuter records, etc

Vehicle notebook
    Pulled out map from phone book, specific area maps we have bought, maintenance records and reciepts. Info from when we purchased (odometer, year, price, etc), gas efficiency, i have written down what oil it takes or i will never remember... and a emergency inventory list. (ie, blankets, candles, snack bars, water, so on)

Gardening Notebook
    Seed packet clippings so i remember what exactly I planted, sketches of yard so I know where i planted, drawings of yard improvements, magazine pics of plants i want, Calendar of yard and gardening activities and temps, Business cards from garden centers, reciepts from garden centers, reciepts from catalog purchases, dream garden pics pulled from magazines, a zippered binder bag with popsicle sticks (for labling seedlings and a permanent marker) (HEY TIP- rub your popsicle sticks with a candle after marking name on stick to prevent fading and water damage to lable), Ideas I want to try, Ideas that worked, Ideas that flopped. and so on

MUM's Notebook
    (a moms group i belong to thru church) Members list with email and phone numbers, activity fliers we have planned, meeting notes, calendar, etc

Diaper bag notebook (just started this one)
    Inevitibly when I am out i need a piece of paper to scribble notes on (this is a small 6-8" - i think- binder) DH's business cards, my "mom of" cards, diaper bag inventory, and needs, coupons for things baby might need if i am just running out real quick to store, baby's doc's business card fr emergencies, special notes, etc

Recipe Notebook
    Pretty self explainatory...
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

MMP
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks MrsE.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think what I would do is print out your post here for your first page. It might help to see your goals in black and white each time you open your notebook. It sure helps me to have my goals right in front of my face.

Then the sections I would create (maybe other members might have better Ideas than I do) are as follows:

1. a Budget / Spending Plan.
    "Bills: Cash only except for mailed bills" at the top of a page. write bills paid and how paid, when. it keeps you accountable to your own cash only plan to see yourself write how you paid. Plus it helps see if the ___ or ___ bill was paid and when.

"$75.00 a week groceries" at the top of a page. Keep a running tally of grocery spending again to keep yourself accountable to you and your plan

"$100.00 a week non grocery spending" again at the top of a a page, keeping a runing tally...personal accountability

A master grocery list is a great idea! Maybe laminate it and hole punch it. Keep a a dry erase marker for this sheet so you can re use the page each time you grocery shop. Just an idea.

"Kids Clothes Budget, $200 (0r $100) __Child's name___" at the top of a page. one page per kiddo, again with the running tally for personal accountability

"Bday and Birthday gifts...$50.00 __childs name__" same as above.

2. Energy and Bill Reduction Section

Keep a running list of energy costs per energy bill on a page, try to shave a certain percentage off each consecutive bill...maybe shoot for say 5% less each bill or something.

I'd make a page with all the things I CAN do to save electricity and gas, etc. Your window quilts and clothesline are great for that.

I'd make a page of things I WANT to TRY, like slowcookers or alternative heating (fireplace?) etc with tips form places online to encourage your efforts.

I would also in this section make room for a home made gift section. Gifts are an expense, so i would include this in expense reduction... there are tons of info in magazines, tutorials even here, gift basket ideas, patterns for fleece blankets etc that you could tear our or print off to add to this section. Note which gifts are hits, and if one is a flop. use the hits again. and again. it might give you ideas for reworking the flops too.

3. Savings plan
    I don't have a clue as this is personal to everyone, but perhaps a section for an Emergency fund tally etc

4. a Meal planning and scratch recipes section.
    I know alot of people have seperate recipe notebooks, but some that fit frugality or meal planning specifically might go great here. And having the recipes right there in the same area as your meal planning might inspire some plans or vice versa.

Anyhow, just a few ideas. I don't know that they will help or not. Good luck!
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow - Melissa - You should teach an organization class - you just blow out in one post things that take me forever to figure out and put together - simple and concise - I have to rework and rework my pages til I get them to say what I want them to say!!
    I am in awe!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Melissa you are my hero.

So far I have about 4 3 ring binders. My question is where do you store them all (I am assuming these are 3 ring binders) and also how do you keep track of all of them. I know in mine I have a bunch of sub categories. Some days I feel like I need a notebook just to keep track of whats in my binders .

jennifer

p.s. I absolutely love these forums, I am learning so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would you believe I have a master notebook...that i keep track of all my notebooks?? It's the truth, LOL, ask Melody, she probably saw it while she was here. I have them on a shelf. (Don't let Melody tell ya it takes a whole bookcase...not quite yet, lol).

Yeesh do I sound like a notebooking looney.

Mine are all 3 ring binders. some of them I have inserted spirals into for other info i need (see Pregnancy notebook). I only have from last count (i was thinking a dozen boy, was I off) 19 of them. they range in thickness from the thin 3/4 inch binders to the 2'' binders. i have the spines labled as per what it is, and each section inside i have used notebook dividers to keep seperate all the subcategories held within.

They don't always make it back to where they belong on the shelf. and somedays I have to remember where i had them last, but I haven't yet lost one. Knock wood.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow. That is a wealth of information. I'm going to start doing this. Considering I am addicted to those sales where notebooks are 5 cents each after school starts, I have tons of them around here so I won't run into a paper shortage......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast