I have a question about writing a pricebook
    Registered User frugalandsimple's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I have a question about writing a pricebook

Did anyone give you strange looks or asked what you were doing when you were writing in your pricebook?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep. The store manager at one store didn't want other people to see me writing prices down. I had one manager ask if I was some kind of comparison shopper from the competition. He was rude.

After that I didn't take in the price book per se. I just made notes on my grocery list (a standard 8.5x11" paper) on a clip board and noted prices as I went through the aisles. No one ever complained about that! Then, when I got home, I'd enter the prices into the price book from my receipt and from my grocery list.

Interestingly, the cashiers all thought it was a great idea. Many of them see my clipboard go through the till in my hands. I had one lady claim I was the most organized shopper she'd ever seen. I don't think she'd been working there long!

I've also had cashiers comment on the amount of healthy food in my order and the lack of junk food. One day I followed a welfare recipient through, who paid with their welfare check, and the difference was definitely remarkable. The lady in front of me had nothing but junk food. Her bill was over $200 for one week's worth of groceries for her family of four (she had two preschoolers with her she claimed were her family).

After she left my order went through for half that, for 2 teenagers, DH and I. And at $100 that was a big once-a-month trip for me. The cashier was quick to notice, and, as soon as the other lady exited the store, commented to me about how much wiser I was to choose produce over junk food. I told her my own personal goal was to spend less than $10 a bag on groceries. She was impressed. She saw DH packing the bags pretty full!

I think the grocery store management would like us all to think a certain way and shop a certain way. You have to keep on top of things and remind yourself you're doing what's best for you. If I get real ticked off with a manager, like the rude one, I simply won't shop at his store anymore. I may use the same chain (or not), but I shop elsewhere.
    Last edited by peanut; 05-15-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You ARE the most organized! I love how you shop. WTG

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a mental price book that I really need to put down on paper because dh can never remember what a good price is, lol. I have to say though, I had one manager who was so nice to me when I started questioning prices, stocking, etc....completely unexpected. You just never know what you're going to get. Most managers don't want to take the time to really take care of the customer and he did. He told me his wife was a bargain shopper and coupon clipper and he had complete respect for those that took control of their spending that way. It really made my day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    After that I didn't take in the price book per se. I just made notes on my grocery list (a standard 8.5x11" paper) on a clip board and noted prices as I went through the aisles. No one ever complained about that! Then, when I got home, I'd enter the prices into the price book from my receipt and from my grocery list.
    That's what I do, but I never thought about using a clipboard. doh! I've been folding the paper up and placing it on my hand to try to write.

My grocery list has two columns. The first is the grocery list; the second is things I want to know the price of. Maybe it's something I plan to buy in the coming weeks and I want to see which store has the better price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not about my pricebook,but my coupon binder. I have a rather nice, large, zipper binder for my coupons, all organized in trading card protector sheets. Most of the time the comments I get are nice, about how organized I am, how much i must save on groceries, ect... But one cashier told me that she"didnt have to ring me up if I was going to use so many coupons"because that wasnt her job.(her manager didnt agree with her though). I get a few snooty comments that i must be poor if i need to use coupons from customers and one manager asked me not to share my secrets lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so far most comments i have gotten have been about how organized i am. when i make my list i put a c next to things i have a coupon for. and i'll use the other side of the paper to make notes about where things are that i don't shop for often and how much they cost. i've had a couple manager stop me to look at my coupon binder. they were both women.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I jot prices and sized on my grocery list for the most part. I do take my pricebook into Costco...there's hardly ever any workers around. And I copy prices off the receipt I bring home (have the sizes from the items). Seems to work great! I thought if I had a microcasette recorder it would sure be quick and easy to just walk thru reading the name, size, and price of all the things we use. Then copying it all down at home...