Keeping track of it all - menus, recipes, lists
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Keeping track of it all - menus, recipes, lists

HOw does everyone deal with their recipes, menus etc.

I feel like I waste so much time searching for everything all the time. Then building it so it's useable.

How do you deal with all the menuplanning?
    Mommy4ever to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom to 2 youngest.

• BEF: Goal 1 met....
    • CC1 pif - Jan 30
    • cc2 pif - feb 28
    • LOC PIF - Nov 29/13
    • Car(personal loan of 9 days) - PIF Dec 2/13
    • Debt repayment: 100% paid off as of Dec 2/13
    • vacation fund for family vacation goal Dec/14
    • FFEF 0/6 months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

The plan: All debt to be eliminated in 12 months(STILL ON TRACK) Paid in full after 10 months. Dh is the captain of this ship, this time, and we're sailing into the sunset. Who'd have thought, but this has brought us so much closer and stronger.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I subscribe to e-mealz.com and they handle it all for me. Every Thursday I get a dinner menu for the next seven nights along with a customized (sp?)shopping list for the grocery store I choose and the recipes for each meal. It costs $1.25 per week ($5 a month) and it is well worth it. (I had an online coupon and I got one month free when I signed up.) So far all of the meals have been delicious and most take less than 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare.
    DD (20)
    DS (17)
    DH (over the hill - the big 4-0)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just start menu planning the week before my last week is over. I take down time of the evening or on a weekend day and decide what we will be having. I have a spiral notebook I keep at my desk and jot ideas down in it as time goes on. I also take it with me to work and jot ideas down as I work.

I like to surf the internet in the mornings before I have to start getting ready for work so I like to use recipezaar.com for food ideas. I usually take up to a week to complete my 2 week menu plan and shopping lists. I just go slow and I don't stress over it. Just take what ever few minutes you have here and there and write ideas down in a notebook. Then you can compile it all and your ready to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a large 3 ring binder for recipes and a smaller one for menus. I used the plastic page protectors I got 1000 of them from a friend whose office was closing. In the binder for recipes I only have 3 catagories, main dishes and meats, sides, and deserts. They are only organized by what they are, not what they are made from. I have a friends who think my binder system is silly, because I could just keep everything in a folder on my laptop, but I like having hard copies of things. Call me old fashioned. I like to be able to write notes on recipes.
    When it comes to menu planning. I will look see what I need to use first. I use the first in first out rule. I try to write a menu based on what I have on hand, then fill in with what is on sale at the grocery store. My shopping list is made from the menu I planned.
    I do ask for special requests for dh and ds. There are always a couple.
    I try to be varied, and plan things that everyone will eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a plastic file cabenit. The kind that looks like a plastic box with a handle on top and some hanging files to put in it. I have a file in the front for this weeks recipes. All the other files are by main ingredient. when I find one I like or want I want to try I just file it away and pull in out when ready. This way I dont have a million stacks of paper everywhere and I dont loose anything becuase they are all in this one box. I tried useing a three ring binder but it got messy and I couldnt find stuff bucuase I woudl often forget to refile them. I also didnt like that I had to punch holes all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Recipes I keep in folder on fridge. Menu I keep in the back of my notebook which is where all my lists are. I check that dang book a million times a day...has any list imaginable!

I make a menu during the week before. I check to see what i have and plan meals around that. It is never the same week to week. Whatever I can make without goign to store is preferrable!

Keeping it all in one place has helped me time wise. Just a quick check of notebook and grocery list is post it on front of that notebook I add to when I run out or need something. Works good for me so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On Wednesdays on my break at work, I check the grocery store circulars online to see what deals they have. I then plan my menu for the next week according to what I can get on sale and what I already have at home. I am trying, as we speak, to get a price book put together. I'm saving my receipts so I can see how much I pay for items too. I have a spiral notebook I got for $.10 (back to school supplies!) for this purpose. Now's a great time to buy cheap spiral notebooks/dividers for great prices!!! I also have a mini accordian file for my coupons which I have organized by type of food (ex: dairy, boxed, canned, forzen, etc). It goes wherever I go just "in case." I have too many recipes to count so that's one area where I need to improve my organization. However, I hardly use recipes, and cook by feel most of the time...