Pricebooks

Thread: Pricebooks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pricebooks

Do you make and use a pricebook (as suggested by the Tightwad Gazette) to keep track of the best prices you find on the items you use?

I have been keeping a tiny pricebook in my wallet but I've run out of pages and I haven't kept up with it. I just bought a new small wirebound notebook to start a new pricebook in.

With the prices going up I think I need to get organized and up to date to make sure I take advantage of the best sales.

Does anybody organize theirs a certain way to help find entries easier?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used a price book for my first year of frugality, which was 15 years ago. I then just realized I remembered everything I had in it. I can't remember what my kids names are but I know what I pay for a dozen eggs! LOL!

Lately, with prices going up so quickly, I think I need to start back with the price book. I used to organize it by product type Like

Beans by lb.

store A Store b Store C
    black
    pinto
    lentil

It was a while ago but I remember that much at least!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use a spread sheet in excel.

I have a basic shopping list. I every now and then just go to the stores and mark current prices, once the bulk of that is done, I input that in the spread sheet. That's how it started.

Now that it's there, I go through flyers and input that info with month and mark it. I find the best prices my sheet and make a new one that I can print and bring with me. I leave blanks to update with current prices. This really helps when it comes to BOGO.

Ie. one store does BOGO on chicken legs. $2.99/lb. Sounds awesome(for this area). Then the next week has dollar days $1/lb. So that $2.19/lb isn't that great. Not a deal at all. considering regular price when not dollar days or BOGO is $1.50/lb..lol.

Just knowing what regular price is helps to see if it's really a sale. I did pricing at a large grocery store. When sales came on, regular prices were inflated a few days before, and then "marked down" for the sale. The sale was really minimal most of the time. But if you don't know your prices it looked good.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also use and excel spreadsheet. I make several tabs and group like items. Some of my sheets are Canned Goods, Dry Goods, Freezer, Dairy, Non-Consumables etc. I note Date, Store, Size of Item in LBS or OZS and Cost.
    Then next colum has a little formula that divides cost by amount so I can see the price per lb or oz and then I have a little area for notes, such as "on-sale" or " w/coupon and sale".

When I started I just saved reciepts for a couple trips and then just sat down one Saturday and spent several hours inputing and calculating. Then I printed out the sheets and punched them for a three ring binder to take along. I make notes in the binder and then enter them into the spreadsheet when a page fills up. That way I have the computer copy which allows me to sort, calculate and track over an extended time, as well as the hard copy which travels much easier and gives the most recent information.

I can also email the spreadsheet to local friendswhen I convert them to price booking. Since I've already done the leg work might I as well share the love and save them some gas

Christine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use my price book often...it's scary to watch the prices go up, up, up, though!!

I have a little 3 ring book (about 4" x 6"). I have it divided into categories...dairy, meat, veggies, etc. Then under each divider tab are pages with one item on each page...I break it down by store, price per unit (if it's a 6 pack of canned goods and how many ounces, for instance), total price, individual price. If it's something like beans I break it down into price per lb and price per oz. Eggs I list in price per dozen and individual price.

That way there's no math conversions while I'm standing in the grocery store...
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a spreadsheet that has item names and prices by weight also store. I also use it to keep track of my "pantry". I keep a printout of the prices with my couponing file so if I forget a price I can look it up quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a price log I printed off a site online. It has room for 30 items and you write in the specific items you want to track. Then you can list the prices at 3 stores. I printed off several copies of this.
    It is organized by category( meats,frozen,canned etc) and I carry it with me grocery shopping. This is just something I've started recently so hopefully it will help me keep a better eye on where I can get things cheapest.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started to and felt it was too much to keep track of with different stores, different size units, price per unit, price per pound, brand, varieties (like different apples), etc. I have a pretty good idea now though what it is and isn't a normal or good price for most things I buy. At this point I just try to keep track of how produce prices change at Wegmans. So when broccoli is $.99/lb, awesome. When it's $1.49/lb, I pass. Grapes at $3.99 no way. Grapes at $.99, grab a ton! Etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used one for a few years.....then, like others have said, I just got to where I knew when a price was a good price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    I used one for a few years.....then, like others have said, I just got to where I knew when a price was a good price.
    Same here. Every once in a while I break out the calculator to check on the unit price of something though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfriend View Post
    Same here. Every once in a while I break out the calculator to check on the unit price of something though.
    ONG my gf hates me for doing this each time Im debating a purchase of a multipack b/c I always end up getting the items seperately b/c it IS cheaper sometimes to NOT buy in marketed 'bulk'. Example 6 pk tissues shrink wrapped is $4.97 but if each one is only $0.77 thats a savings of $0.35! Half a box of tissues. I know its a minimal amount but everything does add up!

Im seriouly looking to start a price book just to compare now and then type deal.....I like how some of you have suggested how to set it up. I think I will look online for more suggestions b/c I am just not too sure how to go about starting this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My price book is my mom. I usually just call her and say "Is this a good price?" lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default So true

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Girl View Post
    My price book is my mom. I usually just call her and say "Is this a good price?" lol.
    I still do this sometimes after being on my own for 6 years! LOL my youngest sister does this a lot still.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know prices of certain items that I buy all the time and have for years, but items that I use less frequently I definately use a price book. Recently I was at a store and noticed a phone and address book and realized that people no longer need them for phone #'s because of cell phones. Sooooo I bought one to use as a price book. AND I actually go to Sams or now Costco and go through the store writing prices down. Most of the time the stuff is cheaper at the grocery store when on sale.