To keep cat litter fresh smelling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default To keep cat litter fresh smelling

mix baby powder in with the litter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love this one -

my first thought was the best way to keep the cat litter smelling fresh is to get rid of the cat.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use powder rug freshner I buy it at the dollar store .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

don't use anything with a scent or talc in your cat's litter box..you are just asking for trouble...medical and behavior....medical because breathing in the talc is not healthy for their lungs and behavior because they may not like the smell and will refuse to use the litter box....why not just use good old baking soda? Cheaper and non toxic . Also use a quality litter in the first place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used this for years with my cat and he is doing just fine. It does not matter what kind of litter you buy there is always a smell at one point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not in my house there's not. I have 3 cats and use only Arm and Hammer litter or Fresh Step and scoop the one pan once a day and you'd never know I had 3 cats. I leave the pan in the main bathroom and have had many ppl comment on how they can't believe we have 3 cats and only one pan and NO SMELL..it's easy..use a good litter and scoop it everyday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use scoopable and always put some baking soda on the bottom before we fill it. No smell...

Cat? What cat? Does it smell like I have a cat? I don't have a cat... or do I?
    I can't be out of money... I still have checks left!

Momma to the Diva
    Old Lady to the Old Man
    My Blog: http://frugaldomesticgoddess.wordpress.com

Making Yule
    Samantha x2 (1/2)
    Christopher x2
    Mom x2
    Larry x1
    Dave x1
    OldMan x5
    Diva x11 (1/11)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah I wouldn't recommend using baby powder, it's an artificial product, and as someone said already, could cause clinical/behavioural problems like not using the litter. In fact, last I heard, new mums were being advised not to use baby powder on their newborns, as inhalation of the dust caused more problems then using the powder prevents. Maybe best not to use/with on pets then?

Baking soda however... Now there's a thought. I use the cheapest litter going (have to really due to lack of money), and our old girl uses a proper cat potty, a hut-like covered pan, so the smell doesn't really get out that much. I put down some newspaper, thinly spread a cupful of litter out, and it all goes out every day. I don't save much more by scooping, and you still can leave bits behind when you scoop... But I might try the baking soda one day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never put anything in the litter just in case my guys take offence.I use the Max scoopable and I scoop every day I actually have 4 boxes for my 2 cats maybe that makes a difference.The only time I get smells is when one of them has an upset tum then I replace all the litter and use Simple Solution(an odour eliminator) on the boxs and surrounding areas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also use the scoopable and scoop every day ... the only thing I would add to the litter is baking soda 'cuz I was afraid that with powders and so forth that with her in the box and then always cleaning herself, that it'd make her sick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the silica crystal litter. It works great and saves money because one bag really does last a month. All you scoop out is poo and give it a good stir. At Wal mart a bag cost about $5 and as I said lasts a whole month or a bit more. No more stinky litter box.

The urine gets trapped in the crystals and only the water is allowed to evaporate out. the heavy elements in the urine are trapped in the silica.

I also really love my litter maid. I'm getting a new one next week as mine died a while back but when I had that running the litter box was always clean so always smelled fresh. Again also saved on litter over time because you did not need to have as much in the box.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-BayMom View Post
    don't use anything with a scent or talc in your cat's litter box..you are just asking for trouble...medical and behavior....medical because breathing in the talc is not healthy for their lungs and behavior because they may not like the smell and will refuse to use the litter box....why not just use good old baking soda? Cheaper and non toxic . Also use a quality litter in the first place.
    I have to agree, I will only use baking soda, not carpet freshener or anything else, that gets on their paws and they lick it off, definitely not healthy for them, not to mention them breathing all that in their little lungs...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use two containers for one cat .. scoop at least twice a day. I use Fresh Step Lavendar (LOVE IT) and Tidy Cat deodorizer. For the most part no odor .. I don't think ANYONE can totally stop all the odor. One box lasts a month and two cans of Tidy cat a month.

First, I used pine litter (shavings ... loved it but they stopped making it). Then
    I used a litter made from recyled paper and it was HORRIBLE.
    Living Single and Loving it!
    EmilyD

Savings goals:
    2014 Change Jar Challenge (New, smaller clothes) $0/$500.00 (turned in 6/2/14 $118.00 for another purpose)
    52 Week Money Challenge (Christmas 2014): $0.00/$1378.00 in a year (need to save 275.00 to make it by Nov. )
    Emergency Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin (167.00 pm to make it by Dec)
    House Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Car Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Medical Expenses $0.00/$1000.00
    Dental Expenses $0.00/$1000.00

My Challenges:
    2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 1 @ wk 16/52
    2014 Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
    2014 Household Purge/Declutter Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge
    2014 Reading Challenge 11/52
    2014 Change Jar Challenge

52 Week Saving Challenge W1-$1, W2-$2, W3-$3, $W4-$4, W5-$5, W6-$6, W7-$7, W8-$8,W9- $9, W10- $10 W11-$11, W12-$12, W13-$13, W14-$14, W15-$15, W16-$16 W17-$17, W18-$18, W19-$19, W20-$20 , W21-$21, W22-$22,W23-$23, W24-$24, W25-$25, W26-$26, W27-$27, W28-$28, W29-$29, W30-$30, W31-$31, W32-$32, W33-$33, W34-$34, W35-$35, W36-$36, W37-$37, W38-$38, W39-$39, W40-$40, W41-$41, W42-$42, W43-$43, W44-$44, W45-$45, W46-$46, W47-$47, W48-$48, W49-$49, W50-$50, W51-$51, W52-$52

Registered User very_inky_fingers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talc is not good for anyone...not even babies. I was just listening to a radio broadcast about those new mineral makeups..the powder kind. Many of them have talc in them and the doctor advised not to use them. There are brands with no talc and I think they are made with cornstarch. So, not only is the talc bad for kitty it is bad for the scooper of the poop as well. Baking soda is a safe alternative.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homemaker66 View Post
    I use powder rug freshner I buy it at the dollar store .
    I do too. I found if you put a layer of this in the bottom of the pan, you can just use the cheap cat litter right on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast