How to freeze eggs without an ice cube tray.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How to freeze eggs without an ice cube tray.

I need suggestions on how to freeze eggs without an ice cube tray. I just hit a great sale ( see the thread in town crier) and I need to freeze 3 dozen eggs. How do I do it?
    Thanks for any tips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just use ziplock bags, you can freeze as many eggs as you need in 1 bag. I froze 1 dozen in a gallon ziplock bag so they are ready for omelets.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ziploc bags work well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was thinking of doing that but the smaller ones- that would be alot of bags though. I would like to freeze 1 egg per ______
    I would use them for baking mostly and french toast. Occasionally scrambled eggs.
    Maybe I have to bite the bullet and go to the $store to get some ice cube trays- or post on freecycle...
    Is it possible to freeze the eggs in a muffin tin? How would I remove them after they froze? Do I spray the tin with nonstick spray? I have no clue. LOL
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. I may just use the bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by freebs View Post
    I just use ziplock bags, you can freeze as many eggs as you need in 1 bag. I froze 1 dozen in a gallon ziplock bag so they are ready for omelets.

yep this is what we do. works like a charm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heck I didn't know you could freeze eggs. I feel like a DOH now. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alarosalpn View Post
    I was thinking of doing that but the smaller ones- that would be alot of bags though. I would like to freeze 1 egg per ______
    I would use them for baking mostly and french toast. Occasionally scrambled eggs.
    Maybe I have to bite the bullet and go to the $store to get some ice cube trays- or post on freecycle...
    Is it possible to freeze the eggs in a muffin tin? How would I remove them after they froze? Do I spray the tin with nonstick spray? I have no clue. LOL
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. I may just use the bags.
    The only way to know would be to try it. I dont see why you couldnt freeze in muffin tins just spray the tin with pam or grease it really good and freeze it should pop right out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've frozen lots and lots of eggs without using ice cube trays. Keep in mind though, that once they are thawed out, they need to be used within 24 hours. I tended to use mine in baking most of the time, so I put 6 in a bag. Break your eggs in a bowl and LIGHTLY run a fork through them just to kinda break the yolk up. You don't want to mix air into them. The Ball Blue Book says to add sugar to the eggs you will be baking with, and salt to the ones you will be cooking with. This is the stabilizer and help preserve them naturally. We never did care for them made into scrambled eggs...to rubbery. Could have been something I did though. They worked great for baking though and for french toast! I sure miss my chickens!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But, you can't freeze them in the shell? It would sure be helpful to freeze the eggs because we don't use that many and sometimes I can't use them all up. So if you freeze them are they only good in recipes or for like poached eggs?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by beks37 View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. But, you can't freeze them in the shell? It would sure be helpful to freeze the eggs because we don't use that many and sometimes I can't use them all up. So if you freeze them are they only good in recipes or for like poached eggs?
    Yes I was thinking the same thing. I never even realized though you could even freeze them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is from the USDA: "Frozen Eggs
    Shell eggs should not be frozen. If an egg accidentally freezes and the shell cracked during freezing, discard the egg. Keep an uncracked egg frozen until needed; then thaw in the refrigerator. It can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited. That's because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients."

I read somewhere that a lady froze them in the shell, but she was using duck eggs. She said the chicken egg shells crack in the freezer, but duck eggs don't.

I've never frozen them in the shell on purpose. Some of our Easter eggs have accidentally gotten frozen by sitting in the back of the fridge and I always threw them out because I couldn't figure out a way to shell them without making a huge mess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have heard that they are alot like freezing milk if you dont crack the shell it will bust open. so i guess at that point it would just be easier to put them into something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Freezing eggs, freezing milk?? I never knew that!!!

It is great to know you can freeze the eggs, as we have 1 chicken (the other 3 died) and we hardly eat any eggs at all!

So now I just have to break them, and put them in individual zip tops, how cool is that?

How would I freeze the milk? Here they come in cartons of 1 liter or your gallon 'bottles' the plastic ones of 2 liters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hmabbott View Post
    The Ball Blue Book says to add sugar to the eggs you will be baking with, and salt to the ones you will be cooking with. This is the stabilizer and help preserve them naturally. We never did care for them made into scrambled eggs...to rubbery. Could have been something I did though. They worked great for baking though and for french toast! I sure miss my chickens!!
    We have too many chickens so I've never had to freeze any of their eggs but I have an lady who will by 10 dozen eggs at a time from me and freeze them. I've heard too about the sugar and salt to help preserve them.

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ellentje View Post
    Freezing eggs, freezing milk?? I never knew that!!!

It is great to know you can freeze the eggs, as we have 1 chicken (the other 3 died) and we hardly eat any eggs at all!

So now I just have to break them, and put them in individual zip tops, how cool is that?

How would I freeze the milk? Here they come in cartons of 1 liter or your gallon 'bottles' the plastic ones of 2 liters.
    I have froze milk in the paper carton and the plastic carton, you will need to open it and pour a small amount into something else, then just put into the freezer! if you dont pour a small amount out the plastic containers will bust open. To thaw out just set into the fridge, it will take several days for it to thaw out that way tho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast