Frugal Village Forums banner

Glass Gallon Jars Idea(s)

14K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  Thevail 
#1 ·
Hi all! I read the earlier thread on uses for jars because I am looking for inspiration concerning the 30 or so gallon jars that I have in my shed. I am using them for the following ideas but the jars are bigger than my imagination. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to waste perfectly good jars.
1. We use a couple for tea, drink mix etc
2. I use several for canisters.
3. I have also used them for gifts. I painted the jars and lettered them with "Girly Gallon of Goodies" or "Guy's Gallon of Goodies" (sometimes name) in appropriate color. I placed shredded paper in the bottom and filled the jar with things like crayons, small books or coloring books, paint sets, jacks, yoyos, marbles, trial sized make-ups, jewelry...most anything from the dollar store that I could fit into the jar. Then just decorate the lid and place on the jar. I was concerned about doing this with younger kids but my gks were fine with theirs and are now using them for banks.

Any more ideas?

#2 ·
You can place a string or 2 of small christmas lights in them for decoration at the holiday. I have used for storing homemade goodies at the holidays (when doing lots of baking), prior to making up cookie & candy trays.
We make squirrel feeders with them as well. I wish I could draw a picture on here! You make an L-shaped frame and add a box to the front with 3 holes. Cut one on each side for squirrels to enter and exit, and a larfer one on fron to place the opening of jar. Fill jar with sunflower seeds or peanuts. You also need a little ledge so jar won't fall off. We got the plans from Birds and Blooms magazine. These make darling gifts for nature lovers. (It is so fun to watch the squirrels in the jaar).
Jars are great for big get togethers for storing a bunch of potato salad or cole slaw.
I also use for tea, kool-aid, lemonade, etc.
I love your idea for placing small gifts in them. I may try that. You could also put lots of munchy foods in them for the college student or teen to keep in their room. Kids love munchies.
That's all I have right now.

Reactions: IamBlessed
#3 ·
Oh I forgot. You could also fill with doggie or kitty treats for that special animal in your life. How about bird seed containers. That would be a nice gift for a bird enthusiast.
There's no limit to what you can put in them

#4 ·
I too was going to suggest the idea with the string of lights. If you have the stay cool type of lights you could fill the jar with pinecones or something of the like for added umph inside. You can also change it up for seasons when only using lights by using different holiday static decorations on the outside of the jar and adding a coordinating square of fabric to cover the lid held on top by tying a ribbon below the lid to hold it in place.

HTH

#5 ·
I went on a decorated Christmas tour of a small town years ago and they put candles in the gallon jars and lined the streets adn walkways leading to the houses. It was gorgeous. That would certainly claim a handful to line a walkway or back yard for an evening gathering.

#6 ·
Along the same line as a few others have mentioned....

I have a friend that takes glass jars (usually buys at a dollar store or craft store) and adds a short strand of Christmas lights. Then she adds some pretty looking potpourri around the lights (it will let off the scent when lights are on and get warm). Take a dollar store crotchet doilie (or make them) larger than jar opening and take a piece of pretty ribbon and interwine/weave it in the doilie and top the jar with it and tie secure with ribbon. And then you have a really pretty, scented light. She was selling these for $20 and up, depending on the size of the container and how fancy the container was ... she could barely keep up with the orders she was getting !! The sell like hotcakes at craft sales !!
One warning.... is that somewhere I heard that you shouldn't leave the lights on for too long..... to prevent the possibility that the potpourri could catch fire. I've forgotten to turn mine off at night before, without any incident, but I guess you never know.

Let me know if you make them.... I'd love to see pics if you do.

#8 ·
Use one yourself to put your coins in. Unpainted, you can watch your money grow. Just put it in a corner in your bedroom that maybe doesn't have anything in it.

#10 ·
I have 10 gallon jars that I must get the smell of pickle out of... Once that is done, I am using them for the bulk storing of pasta, flour, popcorn, etc... I would love to go into my pantry and see them all lined up looking pretty. For the one or two I don't have a lid for, I put my plastic bags from the grocery store in them, and have clothes line pins in a smaller jar.. I store or will store almost anything in them.

#11 ·
To clarify.. I have 10 ONE gallon jars.... Not 10 GALLON jars... OOPS.... Couldn't edit my previous post.

#17 ·
I was wondering where you had gotten jars that big! :lol3:

#12 ·
I made glass pumpkins many years ago. Using 1 " wide strips of orange tissue paper, I made a H2o and glue mixture and dipped the strips in them. I overlapped and covered the whole jar, then let them dry and then later added black tissue paper for eyes and nose. I have used various sizes for many years at Halloween, just add a candle and u have a jack o latern that you can reuse each year.

#14 ·
I'm assuming the jars have lids right? ..ok good (phew! jars without lids SUCK!)..anyway, way back about 200 years ago when I was a kid we'd go to see my Nonna down in Scranton-she had what we used to call the "root cellar"..she had glass gallon jars (with glass lids though) all lined up on what would now be called bleacher seating shelves..and in those jars she kept CHRISTMAS COOKIES!..yep..she had them all year long!!! Cut out reindeer with currents for the eyes, apricot cookies, date and nut pinwheels etc..tons of Italian cookies..ALL YEAR! It was a fat kids' paradise let me tell you!..she'd give us each a small cardboard box (the size of the boxes that greeting cards would come in) and tell us to go down to the root cellar and pick out our favorites to take home..we'd be down their for hours-only to reappear when our bellies were full and our faces were covered in powdered sugar. When she would ask if we tasted any cookies-we'd always reply "no Nonna" and give our little fat bellied giggles..she'd just wink at us and keep our secret..so that our mother wouldn't find out and beat the snot out of us with her shoe!..so my suggestion would be..have a "root cellar" and keep your jars filled with cookies! :)

#18 ·
we'd always reply "no Nonna" and give our little fat bellied giggles..she'd just wink at us and keep our secret..so that our mother wouldn't find out and beat the snot out of us with her shoe!..so my suggestion would be..have a "root cellar" and keep your jars filled with cookies! :)

My grands call me "Nana" and they are always getting me to fix cookies for them. One is definitely going to go for this. :chef2::chef2:

#19 ·
I use them to store food in bulk in. (Pasta,beans etc)
I also use them to collect change and as cookie jars.

#22 ·
I put cat food, flour, sugar,ceral to keep it fresher and for the ones that have decorations on them I put cookies in. Dh puts all his things that he can't find a place for in them, Large nails, fishing stuff, change, screws etc.

#23 ·
I apologize in advance if someone else has already mentioned this, but if you have a foodsaver vaccum sealer, you can vacuum seal food items in them for extended periods, all you would need is the universal jar sealer attachment.
You could seal just about any type of dry food and I'm sure you could do liquids as well, as long as you have room for them in your fridge.

But that will only help you IF you already have a foodsaver.

#25 ·
ilovechocolate, that's an idea that I haven't even considered. I've been stuck in "think around the house" mode. :)

#28 ·
Use one to make your sun tea in. If you've never done it it's real simple. Just place tea bags into jar and fill jar with water. Cap jar and set out in a sunny spot for a couple of hours. Saves energy by not heating up water. You can also store tea in it. Just get it out by the ladle full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.