Saving ideas for Senior Citizens
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Saving ideas for Senior Citizens

Hi everyone,
    I am turning 55 in a few weeks and just curious if there is any advantage to getting old(er).
    Mcdonalds already gives me a senior without asking. I'm not sure whether that's good or not, lol.
    I am very excited to get a discount at goodwill.
    What other discounts should I be checking out. My husband is 58.

Best Wishes,
    Sue

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default There are savings everywhere for us!!

Quote Originally Posted by suzysparkles View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am turning 55 in a few weeks and just curious if there is any advantage to getting old(er).
    Mcdonalds already gives me a senior without asking. I'm not sure whether that's good or not, lol.

Best Wishes,
    Sue
    Aloha Sue,

Congratulations on making it this far - life does get better (if you ignore the aches and pains ) Lots more restaurants are offering senior discounts to lure us in with our many dollars. Movie theaters, lots of entertainment venuew - you will be amazed.

Now that we are no longer spending as much in our FV ways the discounts are not making a big impact, but when we do want to use them we feel like we're getting a reward for making it this far!!

I'm 63 and DH is 60 - life is good!! Enjoy!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know lots of restaurants give senior citizens discounts.

Many department stores have one day a month that they give seniors an extra discount.
    A friend turned 60 last year and found out that he could get a discount at Kroger (grocery store). He had to go to the courtesy booth and they added something to his Kroger Plus Card.
    I buy bread and buns at Sara Lee bread store (MUCH cheaper than the grocery store) and they gives seniors a discount on Wednesdays.

Don't be embarrassed or shy to ASK!

Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone those are great ideas. I am wondering if you can get cheaper insurance with a senior rate?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not sure if your interested or if they are in your area but I have gotten my mother and father the senior meals from Angel Food Ministries and I believe Piggly Wiggly and IGA grocery stores if its in your area also had senior Wednesdays. My mom goes on those days. I will check with them they are both in their 70's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default other than discounts

Well, other than all the discounts, there is retirement. I love it, having the time to do pretty much as I please on my own schedule.I do a good bit of volunteer work at the local zoo and getting to :play: with some of the critters is great! I have discovered I love snakes! Whoda thunk it?? Also, have a little hobby turned into little business-enough to finance the"habit". And, I am a lot more able to be the real me-less worried about what others will think,keep house to my satisfaction, eat what is good for me,pamper my pets and generally MUCH more comfortable in my own skin. It's a great time of life and I hope you find it so as well!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well I'm not ready to retire yet but luckily I work at a job that I really like. My husband and I own a used record,cd,movie,video game store and I also sell vintage jewelry as a hobby.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by suzysparkles View Post
    Hi everyone,

Best Wishes,
    Sue
    OMG I live in Branson, Missouri, the Senior Citizen Entertainment Capital of the Universe.

The first thing out of EVERYBODY'S mouth is.... "I want my senior discount".... in other words, don't be afraid to ask - everywhere! (Besides, the clerks, etc., are quite used to it, believe me).

donsgal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

See if your county has a Office for the Aging. I had to go into ours recently because we wanted to get my husband's uncle on the meals on wheels program through the nutrition program.
    They had a wall of brochures, paperwork, on all sorts of things.
    One booklet that I picked up has a list of local places that offer senior discounts. Some start at 55, some are 60.

Some fast food places have the senior drinks on the menu.

Two of our thrift stores have one day a week for seniors 55 and over to take advantage of.

If not posted in a store, it would not hurt to ask if they offer a senior discount of some kind.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was surprised to find out about prop tax rebates/discounts, community development being more apt to give grants. I don't know if there's a discount for seniors, but our state park gives free season passes to the handicapped... Grocery stores will often deliver free to seniors around here, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The one I'm waiting for is my senior citizen rent discount. My apartment complex gives a 10% discount at 62. One more year to go! I hope they still do it - they should. We old folks are pretty easy on the property.

Many banks have senior citizen checking account with perks. I get free checks with mine. I use them rarely, but everytime I move, I make them print me some new ones.

I think my Kroger discount started at 58. Check that one out if you have Kroger. You may qualify through your husband, unless they have changed it. It's 10% off all their house brands, even 10% more off sale prices. That can add up.
    Donna