Strange and Mysterious Medical Syndromes
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Strange and Mysterious Medical Syndromes

Doctors have come across some baffling day-to-day ailments, but few conditions are as strange as these 20 disorders, which

range from biological to psychological to cultural in nature.

Foreign Accent Syndrome
    Foreign accent syndrome (FAS) is a speech disorder that causes sudden changes in speech pattern, intonation and

pronunciation so that the victim is perceived to speak with a "foreign" accent.

Sexsomnia
    Sexsomnia is a sleep disorder that, much like sleepwalking, compels the sufferer to engage in sexual activity while asleep.

Exploding Head Syndrome
    People with exploding head syndrome intermittently hear loud, explosion-like noises that seem to originate from within

their own head.

Fatal Familial Insomnia
    Fatal familial insomnia (FFI) is a genetic sleep disorder that causes increasing sleeplessness, typically starting around

the age of 50. The victim's brain develops a plaque that inhibits the ability to sleep, and with less and less sleep,

Congenital Insensitivity to Pain
    People with a congenital insensitivity to pain (CIPA) cannot feel physical pain, typically due to the mutation of a gene

associated with the transmission of pain in the body.

Genital Retraction Syndrome
    Genital retraction syndrome (GRS) is a mental condition prevalent in specific cultures that causes sufferers to believe

that their external genitals are shrinking or slowly disappearing into their bodies.

Werewolf Syndrome
    Hypertrichosis, or werewolf syndrome, is a medical condition that causes the excessive growth of body hair -- typically on

the upper body, including the face.

Pica
    Pica is a compulsion to eat non-edible objects. Sufferers have been known to consume paper, dirt, paint, hair, glue, rocks,

lint and laundry detergent.

Capgras Delusion
    The Capgras delusion is a mental condition in which the sufferer comes to believe that someone close to him -- typically a

spouse or family member -- has been replaced by an identical imposter.

Alien Hand Syndrome
    Also known as Dr. Strangelove syndrome and "anarchic hand," AIS is a neurological disorder that makes the victim feel like

he has lost control of one of his hands.

Stendhal Syndrome
    Stendhal syndrome is the name given to a feeling of anxiety -- dizziness, confusion, rapid heartbeat, even hallucinations

and fainting -- upon seeing beautiful works of art.

Walking Corpse Syndrome
    Sufferers of walking corpse syndrome, also known as the Cotard delusion, believe that they are dead, decaying or have lost

body parts or internal organs.

Jumping Frenchmen of Maine
    Jumping Frenchmen of Maine is a form of the exaggerated startle reflex known as hyperexplexia, so named because it was

first observed in French-Canadian lumberjacks in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine in 1878.

Source: DrugstoreTM
    medicalassistants.info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Foreign Accent Syndrome
    Foreign accent syndrome (FAS) is a speech disorder that causes sudden changes in speech pattern, intonation and

pronunciation so that the victim is perceived to speak with a "foreign" accent.

My DH actually has this one (although it has never been diagnosed) and honestly...it is friggin' hilarious!

When he was a roofing supervisor, the majority of the guys he worked with were seasonal laborers from Mexico. And though they spoke english well, they also had very heavy accents. Literally, the minute Dh would get on the phone with them, he would have a Spanish accent. It was beyond funny!

So, I wasn't sure about it...just thought maybe it was becuase he worked around these guys all the time, and so he'd picked up their accent. Then I started working with a guy from Australia. We became really good friends and DH and I and he and his wife started spending lots of recreational time together. And sure enough, whenever Mick was around, my hubby would pick up an Australian accent!

It is honestly...beyond funny!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FAS- I saw that on one of those shows like 20/20 or something, it was quite a while ago though. I thought it was very interesting, to say the least.

Do they realize they are doing it?

Sexsomania, betcha my dh wouldn't mind if I came down with that one

Maybe the, I'm getting older, stray hair that has now sprouted on my chin is the beginnings of Werewolf Syndrome
    Daisy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh no! I have a stray chin hair too! I didn't even think of werewolf syndrome!

No, DH doesn't even realize it when he picks up an accent until someone points it out (which is usually me, becuase I'm trying to stiffle my giggles)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually have to watch myself, or I will find myself talking with an accent around anyone who has one. I once worked with a woman from NY, with a fairly thick accent. My husband axed (yes, asked... LOL) me why I was talkin dat way??? ROFL I watch myself now....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can relate to FAS (I do the same thing, esp when faced with a southern drawl.... I just fall right into it)

DS actually suffered from PICA a few years ago! That was hellish