food to freeze in ice cube trays?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default food to freeze in ice cube trays?

Seems we often talk about various foods to freeze in ice cube trays such as baby food or leftover coffee. What things have you done or heard of to freeze in ice cube trays?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

broth,any lil bits im guessing to add to a not to big meal as a filler? fancy butter for parties berries soft mashed food. but mushed fruits for fancy drinks koolaides to add a neat twist to another drink...anything is possable if u just stop and think out of the box

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Yogurt used for making homemade yogurt. I would purchase Stonyfield Farms yogurt to use as a starter, but it was only available 2-hours from here, so I'd freeze it in ice cube trays in 1-tablespoon amounts, remove them from the ice cube trans, freeze until I needed another starter.

2. Broth (as already mentioned)

3. Chopped herbs in water.

4. Check your particular ice cube trays, but here's a general conversion:

2 cubes = 1/4 cup
    4 cubes = 1/2 cup
    6 cubes = 3/4 cup
    8 cubes =1 cup

5. Leftover tomato sauce or tomato paste (although since using tomato powder, I no longer have cubes of tomato sauce/paste).

6. Lemon/lime/orange juice.

7. When you have too many eggs or need to freeze them, you can use this method and freeze them into cubes: http://www.ehow.com/how_2075051_freeze-eggs.html

I pop the cubes out of the trays and then vacuum-seal them in FoodSaver bags. Take out what I need and reseal the bag.
    Last edited by Grainlady; 07-07-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to make pesto and freeze.
    Just need a cube or 2 for lots of flavor on 8oz of pasta.
    I don't use my every day trays for that since plastic trays may pick up color & flavor from all the good stuff that goes into making pesto. I've also chopped fresh herbs and made into cubes by adding a bit of water, freeze them for use in soups and such.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Lemon/Lime/Orange zest in water(I also cube the juice). Great for drinks, marinades, cakes and muffins!
    ~Applesauce. I use a few cubes in place of half the oil in recipes.
    ~I do yogurt in trays too. :-)
    I've done pizza sauce before but it was such a pain getting the stains and smell out of the plastic that I won't do it again.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone mentioned it all ready, but eggs - specifically egg whites. I'd never heard of it till Ceashels got me watching Alton Brown
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I lived in CA I had a lemon tree. I couldn't let them go to waste so Iwould pull out the juicer and juice away. I froze them by the tablespoon in ice cube trays for recipes. I also froze 1 cup measurement in containers for lemonade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fine chopped onions, carrotts, celery, bell pepper..use them in soup or any dish that I need them in when I run out of fresh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good ideas........and many of the things would be easier to store if after freezing, you popped them all into a plastic bag........OH YEAH...I will be using some of these ideas.

I have just 'cringed' lately as I had to toss some juice from canned fruit as I had no more room.........with ice cube trays, and freezing it, I could have rebagged it.........darn!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

chicken broth, soups, eggs, fresh herbs, white sauce balls (flour, milk, butter, salt & pepper, from the make a mix cookbook), vegetable cooking liquids (for soups), tomato paste.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Leftover Spinach that is going to go bad. Puree it and put in the trays. Add the cubes to soup or other things like Brownies to add nutrients My kids think its a spice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done food purees (sneaky foods, hehe), yoghurt for yoghurt making, citrus juices, zest in citrus juices, juices n general, coffee, LOTS of things.

Also wanted to touch on the measurement listed above. A cube is actually (generally) 2T so it would take 2 cubes to make 1/4c.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks like I should invest in a few from the Dollar Tree. I haven't owned trays for a while since we have an automatic icemaker. I had no idea people froze so many things in them. :yes:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was told to freeze food for the baby in ice trays. He usually ate out of our plates. So, I decided to freeze food, like mashed potatoes, chili, chicken spaghetti and etc., in my muffin tins. When frozen, I would use a case knife (DH calls a butter knife) if needed to get the food out and then put in bags in the freezer. We could pull out what we need when we need it. I stopped doing that when dh started cleaning the kitchen. I need to start again.
    Last edited by ansley; 07-08-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Someone mentioned it all ready, but eggs - specifically egg whites. I'd never heard of it till Ceashels got me watching Alton Brown

is it just the egg white you can freeze or can you freeze both parts of the egg?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast