Removing rust from stainless steel sink?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Removing rust from stainless steel sink?

I am in the process of thoroughly cleaning our apartment because we're moving next week. Our stainless steel sink has a lot of rust around the drain on the right side (it's a double sink). It also has small bits of rust on the top around the faucet.

I searched the internet and found out that Bar Keeper's Friend can be used to remove rust. I found some at a local store for $1.29 so I bought some. I read the directions and tried it today but it doesn't seem that it did very much.

Should I repeat the process? Should I try something else? Any suggestions would be wonderful - I would really like to get our apartment sparkling so we can get our $300 deposit back.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have you tried steel wool or a brillo pad? Start with a light touch.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Have you tried steel wool or a brillo pad? Start with a light touch.
    I have used a brillo pad and it looks better but the rust still isn't gone. It looks like copper with dark red spots now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine will get it once in awhile when I put a wet metal pan in it and leave it.

Soft scrub always takes it out, don't know anything else if the pad won't work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The rust is probably a result of damage to the stainless steel surface and oxidation to the metal under the stainless steel. You might try wadding up a small sheet of aluminum foil and rubbing the rust. We used to use this to clean the rust off chrome. Another odd-ball method that really works is to saturate the rust with COKE, the soft-drink, and allow to sit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Scotch bright pad or sand it off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    The rust is probably a result of damage to the stainless steel surface and oxidation to the metal under the stainless steel. You might try wadding up a small sheet of aluminum foil and rubbing the rust. We used to use this to clean the rust off chrome. Another odd-ball method that really works is to saturate the rust with COKE, the soft-drink, and allow to sit.
    If the rust is the result of damage and oxidation, would it look like this?

DSCF5133.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Mine will get it once in awhile when I put a wet metal pan in it and leave it.

Soft scrub always takes it out, don't know anything else if the pad won't work.
    How much does soft scrub cost? I don't have any in the house but if it's cheap, I'll give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorse View Post
    Scotch bright pad or sand it off.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna give some other options a try before I try sanding.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After using a brillo pad then wash and make it dry, after that you may try applying metal polish and let it stay for 30 secs or a minute then remove the application using a clean cloth and you will see it will be as shiny as a new one.
    Last edited by skysoldier; 07-21-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What I do with my stainless steel sink is that I wash it weekly with mild dish detergent and a soft towel or sponge, to prevent build up of mineral deposits from the water. Then dry it with a soft cloth after each use to prevent water spots that can dull the appearance of the sink. For oily spots or tougher grime I use a mixture of baking soda and water with a soft sponge and scrub in the direction of the grain. NEVER use steel wool on the sink this will scratch the surface.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't think stainless steel could rust...that's interesting...
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I didn't think stainless steel could rust...that's interesting...
    True stainless will not rust..however what you buy "as" stainless is not "true" stainless. For instance that grill you bought at Lowes or Home Depot is NOT true stainless nor are the appliances in your kitchen. Not the same composit. We have a recyling business and my husband could explain this better than me.
    I know last year our so called stainless steel grill from Home Depot had a lot of rust streaks running down it. I was hot. He said you didn't really think it was real stainless all thru did you. Then he said that about the kitchen appliances. Started talking about grading and bunch of numbers. Don't totally understand it. Like one side of our refrigerator a magnet will stick and the other side absolutely not. So if you are paying an arm and a leg for what you think is true stainless good grade take a magnet with you. Read below.
    " Stainless Steel Grade: There are many flavors of stainless steel. 304 stainless is the most common (about 50% of the worlds production). It is used in everything from cars and cookware to buildings. What you need to know is that there is magnetic (400) and non-magnetic (300) stainless steel. 400 series stainless steel is not as durable or corrosion (rust) resistant at 300 series. If you want durability in your stainless steel gas grill put a magnet on it. If the magnet sticks, don't buy it. Some manufacturers use a mixture of different metals so put that magnet all over the grill to test it all"
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More August
    Goal 20
    Accomp/19

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/12

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That drain may not even be stainless, it may have been bought separately from the sink. Ask a neighbor if they have the same problem.