How to make HM fabric softener
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool How to make HM fabric softener

I came across this and thought it was a great idea. It costs alot of money for the really pretty scented softeners, and since this recipe calls for Hair Conditioner, you can easily find a scent you'd love. I got a ton of VO5 conditioners (cheap), so I'm gonna give it a shot. here's the link>>

http://www.ehow.com/how_2268787_home...-softener.html

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Word of caution using this money-saving mixture. The ingredients in hair conditioner can coat the sensor in your dryer and it will no longer sense when your clothes are dry, causing over-drying and wasted energy. You should also wash the vent screen often because the ingredients in conditioners can coat the screen and block the air-flow. It can build-up in washers (especially front-loaders) and cause mold growth, so you may need to clean your washer more often. The residue can also build-up in the dryer vent and may cause a fire if not cleaned out regularly.

If you have a new washer/dryer, you might want to contact the help-line of the manufacturer to see if using the homemade mixture will void the warranty, or if it's even recommended for use in your machines.

There are many chemicals and oils in hair conditioner that you can't be sure how they react when heated in the dryer, since they are not designed for fabric/dryer use.

I've heard that using this homemade mixture reduces the flame retardant coating on children's clothing.

I'd suggest vinegar only in the rinse as a low-cost, non-toxic alternative. If static in the dryer is a problem and the reason you like softeners, there are several non-toxic ways to take care of that. If you have a lot of static, you have over-dried fabrics that are made from synthetics. Remove those items while they are still slightly damp to prevent static. If you forget and your dried laundry is full of static, give the clothes a quick spritz of water and give the dryer a couple tumbles on AIR (no heat). The water should discharge the static.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks GL for the heads up on that. It's certainly something to think about. But living here in FL, I rarely use the dryer. Believe me, it takes alot less time to line dry too, so I take full of advantage of the Fl sun and high temps

Thanks again!

Theresa