Frugal Village Forums banner

Fall Flower Tip

Tags
fall flower tip
1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Luckybustert 
#1 · (Edited)
A customer came into the farm stand where I work the other day, two other customers and I were talking about how to save $ on fall flowers...what was on sale, for how much, and roughly when. She piped up, "Oh. I don't buy fall flowers. I buy fall-colored flowers in the spring and use them 'til the snow flies."

And isn't that a GREAT idea???

Except for the fact that I never buy fall flowers, except one or two when we have them on sale at the end of the season, it seemed like a really great (and easy...why didn't I think of that?) idea!

Judi

#2 ·
A good tip yes :)

I was in a farm store yesterday and bought some packages of flower seeds marked down to .15 each from 1.59 this spring price.
I am also saving seeds from our sunflowers for planting in the spring.
Some of the seeds are also going to the chickens. A win win flower for us. I get to look at pretty colors in the summer and fall. I went with the shorter varieties this year. I like the red, oranges, and yellows we got.

#3 ·
Great idea. I've collected discounted end-of-the-season flowers and foliage for years, so I have every season covered. The Dollar Tree is a great resource for inexpensive artificial flowers and decorations.

Here's a free idea.... When the large round planters at the front of our home are are done in the fall, we pull out the vegetation, top the potting soil with a large planter saucer that is just below the edge of the planter. Then we fill the saucer with pine cones, which you can get free. I add some essential oils to a portion of the pine cones, which gives off a nice scent walking up to the front door.

I have some artificial fall leaves I tuck in with the pine cones, as well as Indian corn, gourds or pumpkins from the garden. For the winter I tuck some pine boughs into the pots, along with the pine cones. Another free resource.

#4 ·
Great ideas ladies!! Wish we could get pine cones for free!! However, I do have some that I purchased and it is definitely time to get them out and deocrate!! Mahalo for the reminder!! Love having rosemary plants inside for use and for their terrific scent!!

#5 ·
Maui dear, I'm not sure how pine cones would ship but I'd be happy to send you some. We are loaded with them out this way.

Polly

#8 ·
I can vouch for Dollar Tree having awesome fall silk flowers to use for home decor -- that's where I bought my wedding flowers, and I just recycle them in different ways whenever the mood hits me! Work in a little dried eucalyptus and some pine cones, and you can pull off a very realistic look for not much $. They also have little mini faux gourds and pumpkins and leaf garlands, which I like to use with candles on my table for a centerpiece.

#9 ·
I don't buy fall flowers either but it does sound like a good tip! The craft store here sells pine cones that have a cinnamon scent...I just love to walk past that display! (Have yet to break down and buy any yet but I've been sorely tempted!) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.