Frugal Village Forums banner

A Thrifty (& Safer) Alternative to Store-Bought Furniture Polish

3K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  MTS04 
#1 ·
Personally, I don’t like to clean my furniture with anything that comes in a can with a skull and crossbones on the front label, or the words ‘contains petroleum distillates’ on the back. I also don’t like paying for anything that can be substituted with an easy-to-make, thrifty, homemade alternative.

For one of the thriftiest green cleaners around, simply mix ½ cup of white vinegar and a couple of drops of olive oil. You can adjust the amount of olive oil, depending on how much moisture you want to put into your wood furniture. Just rub your homemade cleaner on with a cloth, and breathe easy (literally), knowing that this green cleaner won’t damage your health. Give it a try!

Thrifty Sister

#4 ·
Thanks for the reminder! My grandma always use to clean hers that way and now I will too! :)

#5 ·
you can also add a few drops of lemon juice to the olive oil to give it a nice 'smell'....

#6 ·
I've heard of olive oil and EO for polishing, but didn't know about the vinegar for cleaning. I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

#11 ·
I had bought 3 cutting boards at a community sale and DH got out the mineral oil he uses for the maple counter and we gave them a good oiling. Must have done a pretty good job, as they sold within 3 days when I put them in the booth.

Since I had given away my bottle of Pledge Orange Oil (I loved it, but it made me sneeze) I have been using mineral oil. As we live in a log house, I use a LOT of wood polish.

An alternative, also cheap!

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.