reusing pickle jars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default reusing pickle jars

I reuse jars such as pickle jars or fruit cocktail jars for things like storing homemade peanut/cashew butter rather than buying mason jars. I simply remove the label and wash them and presto, free mason jars without having to buy them.

Probably better for things that are used quick (homemade nut butters do not last in my house for long), but because i've never done any canning i find using these jars good for short term storage of homemade items.

My fiancées father has a bunch of lids nailed into a board that he then screwed into the ceiling for storing screws, nails, and the like for his work shop.

Not sure if either of these tips are helpful to anyone, but i figured i'd take my first try at sharing one of my own tips on here

Any other tips for jar like these?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

*he has the lids screwed into the board and has the attached jars filled with things making them easy to see what's in them (compared to a bunch of compartments on a wall unit) and easy to grab. extremely inexpensive and space saving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do the same, I use old spaghetti and pickle jars to store dehydrated fruit. I find, though, that it's sometimes difficult to get the smell out of old jars. Any tips for that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tip!

It shouldn't be hard to get smells out of glass jars. Lids could be a different story. Soaking them in a vinegar or baking soda solution might help.

It's a good tip to re-use things. I'd hesitate to put stuff in shop in glass jars, although I know that's been done forever. But if it gets dropped it's going to shatter on a concrete floor. Plastic jars would be better, IMO.

I recycle jars for small hobby supplies like beads and buttons.

I sometimes buy a product just for the container. To me, it makes more sense to buy a jar with something in it I can use so I can re-use the jar, rather than just buying an empty jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

It shouldn't be hard to get smells out of glass jars. Lids could be a different story. Soaking them in a vinegar or baking soda solution might help.

Hmmm.... don't know why that never crossed my mind...

I've let the jars soak with both vinegar and a little bleach and the jars smell clean, but them when I put the lids back on I can pick up the smell of garlic (my mother makes the best dill pickles on the planet, but I'm sure everyone's mother does) or spaghetti sauce.

I'll focus more on the lids and see if that helps. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you've used bleach, I bet it's the lids. Especially if they're plastic. Try soaking the lids in bleach overnight and see what happens. Or just replace the lids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I store all kinds of sewing supplies in them including: buttons, zippers, safety pins, elastic, hooks and eyes, small patches etc.
    Unexpected life drama bill owe April 2014 11K/current balance 11K.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was younger in the 70's, there was a canning lid shortage. I used jars with lids that had the sealing ring. Put them in the pressure canner & did fine... I don't know if it would be SAFE today or not.. Just a little history...
    Ali

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a brand of olives that come in a a jar that's the perfect size for many of the things I use (and we eat a LOT of olives!). At last count I had 30 olive jars. I scrub off the labels, clean them really well, and they are all set to go.

Right now I have the following in these jars: brown lentils, red lentils, yellow split peas, navy beans, chickpeas, shelled chickpeas, black eyed peas, bulgur wheat, semolina flour, sugar, confectioner's sugar, loose tea, salt, sea salt, peppercorns, couscous, cocoa powder, olive oil, vinegar, penne, ditalini, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, oregano, rosemary, dried celery, dried parsley, bouillon cubes, and sesame seeds. Not only do they look nice in the matching jars, but they keep better than in their original containers (dried beans often have holes in the bags, pasta comes in cardboard that is not very good at protecting from humidity, etc).

I like them so much (and the match!) that I'm actually planning to keep them when we move in June (using just a small car, so very limited space). Normally I would never take something like that when space is so limited but I just can't stand to lose them!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have some olive jars I re-use in the same way, too. It sounds like your jars are bigger, but it's the same concept. I use mine for stuff like onion powder, garlic powder, homemade taco seasoning mix, herb rub mixes, etc. Mine are tall but narrow and just fit on the shelf where they live, so they hold a nice amount but have a small footprint so a lot of them fit in a small space.

I also re-use those tiny jelly jars you get in gift sets during the holidays. They hold maybe two tablespoons. I put herbs and spices in them inside small cloth cases. The cases stay in our pantry basket which goes camping with us, so when we're camping we don't have to go without the same tasty goodness we get from the pantry at home.

I have an over-abundance of quart canning jars so will be using some of those for pantry storage of beans and similar items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get jars from work(restaurant),ones that are different and attractive.I have shelves in my kitchen that I keep dry goods on so use these jars.I got 2 plastic olive containers that look like kegs,so cute and I line with a plastic food bag to keep pancake mix and Bisquick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

glass jars are also the healthier choice compared to plastic that has icky leachy chemicals.

I found this too - thought it was cool.

15 Ways to Repurpose Glass Jars
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Banks Sasha Max Lilly Charlie Chianti Jasper Marty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've gotten rid of a lot of plastic in favor of glass, too. I'm not going nuts over it, just using glass or stainless steel where it makes good sense to do so, and plastic where that makes more sense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm using the gallon size glass pickle jars for dry goods... Approximately 6 lbs. of brown rice fill a jar.

I need more empty jars!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Recently I saw a photo (can't remember where) of very small jars, like baby food jars, with a magnet glued to the lid. The jars can be stuck to the side of the refrigerator, or on a magnetic board of their own. It makes great use of space for storing small things, and it's easy to see what is in the jars from the bottoms sticking out. I'd like to try it, just keeping my eye out for some little tiny jars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast