Need some tips for saving $
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need some tips for saving $

I have a goal to pay cash for a new car next year! I think I can do it but I have to really scrimp this year in order to make it happen.

I do a lot of frugal things already but I'd like some more ideas of how I could save money that I'm not already doing.

Here's some stuff I'm already doing (or have recently done) so anything else that's a good idea would be appreciated!

refinanced house this summer--saving $300. per month
    reconfigured student loans and saving $75. per month this year.
    vegan--don't eat meat/dairy/eggs and would love some ideas for cheap meals--yes, the fake meat can be pretty pricey.
    Wal-Mart cell phone and no home phone--this truly is the best savings I've ever done
    cancelled cable--still have internet and it's expensive
    no gym membership-walk dog in park on daily basis
    close 2 rooms during winter and don't heat them
    very rarely go out to eat and can't remember last time I went to a movie or bought a book and Kindle or IPad? Forgeddabodit!

I do throw caution to the wind when it comes to my hair. Nothing makes me feel better about my appearance than having my hair look good. So I spend money on it.

Anything major or glaring I'm overlooking?
    I did make an appointment to have the dog/cat's teeth cleaned @ the much cheaper vet who only does surgery. Have to get them done, it's healthier, they'll live longer and fewer vet bills later on.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You said you like to get your hair done, have you looked into local cosmetology schools? My daughter just graduated from cosmetology program at a technical college and they had a salon for the public. They charged about 20 bucks for a cut and color. Five bucks for just a haircut.

I stopped using my clothes dryer. I use one of my empty bedrooms to hang the clothes. I ran a clothesline in there, do the laundry on Saturday so all the clothes will be dry by Monday morning. I have saved about 20 bucks per month on my electric bill by doing this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Great goal!
    Do you have anything to sell? Will you be selling your current car?
    How much are you spending on clothes, gifts, vacation and transportation costs? Can those areas be cut?
    Can you pick up extra income by picking up odd jobs? If you walk in the park you may be able to be a dog-walker for your neighbors.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the ideas so far. I think it's a great goal, too.

Yes, there are some tech schools near where I live but I had such a bad experience with a girl just out of the tech center this summer--never again. I'm 47. My highlights need to be subtle. 18-year-olds don't understand that concept

More interested in saving than earning extra money.

I'm particularly interested in what kind of money can be saved by using a clothesline. Used to have one years ago but it came down when I lost a tree. I've lost so many trees, I don't know if I have a place to put one. And...will it really make that much of a difference, anyway? I only do about 4 loads of laundry a week. What other ways could I significantly save on my electric bill, anyway? I only pay about $50. a month right now.

What I'm also interested in is in finding ways to save on my food. I never eat out now and as a vegan pretty much have to make all my food from scratch, anyway. Also, I'm a teacher and so bring my lunch as everything that comes out of that cafeteria is some shade of brown and not very healthy and far too expensive.

Any ideas for saving on my household expenses or food?

Thanks all.

PS--yes, expect to get about $3000. for my 12 year old Corolla.
    Last edited by bunnys; 10-16-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot something

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How much do you spend on food?
    have you considered a roommate or exchange student?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I turn off the hotwater heater and only run it a hour a day. That saved me about 30.00 a month. Cook in a crockpot mostly and that saves on my propane. Make my own laundry detergant. Shop in bulk. All of our clothes are from the thrift store. Turn the heat down to 50 at night. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make your own laundry detergent.
    Hang your laundry on hangers in those spare rooms your not heating.
    Cook in the crockpot
    Unplug all appliances not in use.
    Turn your heat down a couple of degrees.
    Take quick showers...get wet...turn off water and wash your hair and self...turn water back on and rinse.
    Use coupons.
    Buy store brand.
    Plan grocery shopping according to weekly store sales.
    Plan menus.
    Wife to Danny for 30 1/2 wonderful years.

Mother of 2
    Ashley 27...
    Dustin 26...

Blessed beyond all measure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if you don't have a place to hang a line invest in a couple of the wooden clothes hanger things. I do 2 loads of laundry a week, sometimes three if I'm doing linens or my work clothes. I save about a $1 a load when I don't use my dryer.

My electric bill ranges from $38-$42 a month. I unplug just about everything.

Find out when your "off peak" hours are from your electric company and run your more expensive appliances- dishwasher, dryer, oven on the off peak hours.

look at our recipe threads for ideas for inexpensive food.

Good luck!
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hhhmmm...last time I offered advice, I apparently offended, so not traveling that road again... but I do wish you the best. With care, I'm sure you'll be successful!
    I can't wait to hear about your new vehicle!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

re-use ziploc bags and freezer bags ( so long as raw meat was not in there) just wash them with hot soapy water and turn inside out to dry.
    Keep a gallon size bag in your freezer for small scraps of veggies left over from your meals. Once full, make soup.
    use the ends/leaves of your celery, a cut up onion w peel still on for nice color, carrots, garlic, water, seasonings make veggie broth for your soup. then take the cooked veggies and puree to thicken. freeze the puree along with any leftover broth.

if you take a bath instead of a shower, use the bath water to fill your washer.

cut up old t shirts for washrags, napkins, cleaning rags....

unplug everything- except your refrigerator...
    shop around for better rates on car insurance, homeowners/renters insurance...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Save all your change in a jar and don't touch it til it's full to take to the bank to see how much you've saved! Buy only stuff U have a coupons for and watch for sales at the stores expecially meat buy in bulk then break down at home & freeze for later use.
    Make your own detergent there are recipes online they go longer than the store bought ones. Dry your clothes on the line outside or inside on dryer racks to save money. Hope these tips help!
    Loving Wife to Ken 30 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep hearing make your own detergent. I don't really do that much laundry, will that make such a difference?

A buck a load to dry clothes? I had no idea. I really need to get a clothesline. Especially as it's so nice in the winter.

I don't hang out on this forum that much. But many of the things I'm hearing, I already do. So I guess I should frequent this place more.

I just love being IN CONTROL of my money!

And as far as roommate, some things are just non-negotiable. My home is my REFUGE and I don't want to share it with a stranger.

Really not so worried about EARNING extra money so much as saving more.