Frugal Village Forums banner

Have some wallpaper laying around?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mrscornbread 
#1 ·
Things you can do with wallpaper
Picture Mat - Cut wallpaper to make a mat for pictures. Turn paper over and measure picture to be framed. Using a knife cut out hole. Tape picture to back of paper and frame. This looks wonderful.

Bulletin Board - Cover the cork part of a bulletien board with wall paper (tape on for a temporary different look, glue on for a permanant look). It looks especially good if it matches the walls or color of the room!

Drawer Liner - Line the inside of desk drawers with wall paper. That way, things slide out more easily, and it makes it look richer.

Mirror Decoration - Use the same border as in the bathroom to trim around mirrors.

Shapes for decoupage - Cut out the shapes of flowers and leaves and decoupage them to virtually anything - table tops, frames, decorative boxes, etc

Designer wastebaskets - Wrap large ice cream containers (like the type used by Baskin-Robbins) with leftover wallpaper, to make 'designer' waste baskets (goes great in a bath or bedroom papered with the same material).

Make placemats - Paste two sheets together, with pasted sides together, and let completely dry. Cut out in rectangular, oval or other desired shape for placemats (you can use other placemats as a template). Can be laminated at a hobby or teacher's store for extra durability.

Window or wall treatment - Glue leaves and shapes over a doorway, archway or window. Cover with a light coat of paint and sand off for a "worn" effect.

Cover gift boxes - Glue the wallpaper to the outside of a box to make a pretty gift box -- or -- use it to make your own boxes! If the wallpaper isn't heavy enough, glue two pieces back to back, or glue it to lightweight cardboard and then fold the box.

Cut out clothes for paper dolls

Make dollhouse rugs - Some patterns lend themselves well to tiny rugs - glue a fringe or lace edge on an oval or rectangular shape.

Collage material - Let the kids cut out shapes and pictures for collages.

Make greeting cards - Glue a piece of white paper to the back. Fold in half. Cut an oval in the center of the front of the card, and inside the card, glue something neat, a family photo, a jewel, etc. that will show through the oval.

Decorate jar lids

See less See more
#3 ·
;) Yes, I buy lots of wallpaper rolls at the second hand stores. I use it mostly as wrapping paper for gifts. It's especially nice when used for the male memebers of the family's gifts and it's so cheap that it makes a logical replacement for regular wrapping paper.

Thanks for sharing the other uses!

#4 ·
Great ideas !!!!!!!
Be careful with the prepasted stuff, just a little humidity and it's stuck to drawer bottoms, gifts and such......

#6 ·
Cover a desk set to match a kids room........

#10 ·
I went "dumpster-diving" once for a NICE box of wallpaper odds and ends...I've got a few round boxes (from pottery--powdered color). I plan on covering the boxes with the wallpaper for storage.

#11 ·
I bought some wallpaper border once on clearance. I made some very cute and frugal cannisters out of large size coffee cans, I had to cut just a small strip off to make it fit, but I even glued it around the cut edge to make it seem more like a clean edge. In fact I still vae them. I used the coffe can lids on the bottoms as well so that they didnt leave rust marks on the counter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.