What are your TOP TEN frugal tips?
Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What are your best frugal tips

Kinda seeing that this forum is kinda slow thought I would help boost it up.Ya know since this is why we are all here.

1.make a budget and try your hardest to stick to it
    2.track your spending for atleast a mo. and I mean every penny
    3.Save as much as you can

Now when you make a budget do it by a monthly and yearly,when you add up all your bills you pay a mo,groc,gas,holidays,etc total it up for the year.Then subtract that amount from what you bring home a year.dh brings home way more than he should from overtime so we budgetted what he would be bringing home at just 40hrs a week.It is true that when you make more money you spen more money.We shouldve had $10,000 left over from last year.We also realized that if he only worked 40 hrs a week we couldn't make it,so we cut back even more.Now if he only works 40hrs a week for the whole year we will still have $2000 to be saved.So now we put $200 into savings a week.and are also able to put $20 into holidays a week and a disney world fund.(These are all budgetted now,they weren't before)

If you want to see in detail how we figured this out PM me and I'll show you.Its easy once you see it all on paper,esp.when you see how much you pay out a year on say cable or a second vehicle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Tips

I started looking for the best price for the items I buy. When I just need a gallon of milk or loaf of bread, I go to the convenience store. YES, it's cheaper and I'm not tempted to buy a lot of stuff because the other items are usually over priced.

When we are out running errands and are tempted to eat out, sometimes we will stop at the store and buy convenience foods instead. We usually spend about 1/2 what we would have if we ate out.

Keep several quick meals on hand for days that don't go well or you are in real rush.

I usually shop at two grocery stores, Wal-Mart and Family Dollar. I try to plan my trips so I'm not running all over the place spending more money on gas. I'm always looking for the cheapest price. I guess that's why a price book is good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thing that saves me a lot is stocking up when the price is low. That way I don't pay an inflated price when I run out in a week.
    When I say stock up I don't mean 100's of it, but just enough to last me until I think it'll be on sale there or somewhere else again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when we first started out, we would keep having these huge blow outs, we looked at our budget and saw that we needed to have some fun money, so we budgeted our selves a SMALL amount, (this may not get used everytime ( in fact i find it is being used less and less)) but it stopped blow outs happening as much, because we didnt feel guilty about spending the money, and then saying well the budget is blown for this week anyway......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Never pay full price for anything. You just don't have to in this day and age, so why bother? It takes more effort, sure, but at this point in my life, I have the time, not the money, so I'll just spend the effort and save the cash.

Have a nest egg account, just for you. I spend so much less now that I have mine, which is a secret (shhhhhhhh!), so I only fund it out of the money that I have budgeted for me, the groceries, household supplies, and etc. It makes it easy to look at a doodad that I think I want, say to myself,"Hmmmm, 2.50 for that, or 2.50 in my account?" put it down and take the money home and put it in the teapot for the next deposit run. I feel much more secure knowing that I have that little bit of security for myself, should I need it.

Stay out of the stores.

Stay off of ebay/half.com !

Have fun with being frugal. If you treat it as a game that will get you where you're going, kinda like "Roadkill Bingo" or something, it's going to be easier and more fun for everyone involved.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the last post-I almost never pay full price. Everything from groceries to clothing to gifts to craft supplies and home needs can all be found marked down, coupons off, or for less somewhere else. All it took for me to turn my finances around was starting to pay attention to what I am spending and why, and spend more time-less money. It has been so worth it.

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are some ideas that have helped us cut costs in a lot of areas.......

- Hang clothes to dry instead of using the dryer. We live in a subdivision that prohibits clothes lines though so I have to dry towels, bedding, etc. in the dryer. Everything else I hang in the showers to dry. When using the dryer I wash and dry in consecutive loads so the dryer doesn't have a chance to cool down (it doesn't have to use as much energy to heat back up).

- Wash in cold water as much as possible. We have a gas hot water heater and the gas prices here are ridiculous.

- Use the microwave instead of stovetop for cooking whenever possible (the microwave uses less energy).

- Use the outdoor grill instead of the oven for cooking. I also have a couple of Nescos - a 6qt. and an 18qt. The 6qt. is great for making stews, soups, chili and will also hold a loaf pan so that uses less energy than using the stovetop or oven. The 18qt. will hold up at a 13x9 baking dish so I take it out on my porch to plug in and use instead of using the oven. Using these instead of the oven also doesn't heat the house up and the a/c doesn't have to work as hard to keep the house cool.

- Open the windows and use ceiling fans whenever possible instead of turning on the air. When I do use the a/c I set it on 80 (used to set it on 76) and that's made a huge difference in our power bill.

- I run the dishwasher at night when the rates are lower.

- I unplug all appliances (like the toaster, coffee maker, etc.) when not in use). Even though you may not have the appliance turned on, there is still an electrical current running to it and using energy.

- I make my own cleaners. Baking soda, vinegar and water will clean basically anything. I buy baking soda and vinegar in bulk from Sam's. I am definitely spending less money than when I was buying commercial cleaners and I feel better about using homemade cleaners around my family and pets.

- I use bath water for watering outdoor plants (why let it go down the drain?). I also collect water from our a/c condensation drain for watering outdoor plants. Helps keep our water bill to a reasonable level.

- Shop at garage sales/yard sales. I honestly haven't found a lot at them, but have gotten some good deals on shorts for ds before and found some nice matted prints for our walls (we just supply an inexpensive frame).

- Don't turn down an offer of a good freebie. We have gotten the following for free...... dining room table and chairs (it is now my craft table in my craft room), entertainment center in our bedroom, and a sofa and loveseat in our living room. No, they don't all match our color scheme or other pieces of furniture necessarily, but they are great until we save enough money to pay cash for items that we want to replace them. We are supposed to be getting a 4 yr. old mattress and box springs plus waterproof mattress pad from a friend today. We've gotten all this stuff from friends who were either moving and getting rid of stuff to downsize or who had bought new things to replace all these items.

- I shop at thrift stores. I have been finding some great deals on books at Goodwill recently. I found 6 brand new preschool workbooks to use in homeschooling my ds just the other week for only 39 each. On that same trip I found 8 other brand new books for him as well (like Clifford, Arthur, Curious George) for 39 each. It's a great way to build up a reading library for him.

- I use the library for not only checking out books, but magazines, CD's, movies and DVD's as well. Free is great!

- I keep spending down at the grocery stores by making a price list (the only two stores on my list though are Sam's and BJ's Warehouse Club because I know they have the cheapest prices in town - no double or triple coupon stores here and no Aldi's or Save-A-Lot). I compare any grocery store sales to my price list to determine where to get the best buy. I tend to focus on loss leaders only (other than basics that I'm always buying like milk, goldfish crackers, peanut butter, etc.) and it's even better when I can combine those with a coupon. Dh and I decide what meals to prepare based on what we have in our pantry and freezer rather than making a meal plan and doing our grocery shopping from that. I also have a coupon binder - being organized and being able to easily see what coupons I have has made a big difference too.

- I buy markdown meats from Sam's - this has helped tremendously on our grocery spending.

- I buy bread from a bread outlet/thrift store. I can purchase it as cheaply as making bread from scratch. I also buy hot dog buns, hamburger buns, hoagie runs, and English muffins at the breada outlet.

Have I bored you silly? LOL I have plenty more stuff I can add, but I'm drawing a blank right now. LOL

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL - I'm back with more.

- I shop at a local produce stand during the summer and early fall. They have much better prices than the grocery stores.

- I shop for Christmas gifts all year long and take advantage of clearance sales (especially at Target).

- I cook and bake from scratch - defintitely cheaper for me.

- I shop at Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshall's for clothing. I never have any luck for myself or dh at thrift stores or consignment stores. I also buy clothes off-season on clearance.

- I tear fabric softener sheets in half. Half of one works just as well as a whole one and doubles the box!

- I only fill the main wash cup in the dishwasher with detergent. I used to fill the pre-wash cup too, but I stopped and the dishes get every bit as clean not to mention I am stretching out the use of the detergent.

- I turn junk mail into scrap paper for my grocery lists, etc.

- I save all sorts of stuff to use for craft/homeschooling projects with my ds....... milk and juice lids, cardboard, scraps of fabric from my quilting, scraps of paper from my scrapbooking, cardboard tp and paper towel tubes, etc.

- I make liquid milk from dry milk powder to use in cooking and baking. It's cheaper than using purchased milk.

- I go to library sales and have found lots of brand new books for dh.

- I don't wear makeup often so I save lots of money on that!

- I turn off all lights, TV's, etc. when not in use.

- I make desserts like peach cobbler when peaches are in season and can be purchased cheaply and then freeze them in Ziploc or Gladware containers. That way we can enjoy them during the off-season without paying a fortune. We also don't eat dessert very often which also helps save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ladies, these are all excellent tips! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Your best tip....

Give us your number one money saving tip for the following areas:

1. The garden:
    2. Food shopping:
    3. Child related:
    4: Entertainment:
    5: Cooking:
    6: Housework:
    7: Recycling/Trash to treasure:
    8: Crafts:
    9: Health/beauty:
    10: Misc:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. The garden:Weed often
    2. Food shopping:Coupons & sales=big savings.
    3. Child related:Enjoy them,forget the housecleaning.
    4: Entertainment:Library is free!
    5: Cookingon't be afraid to substitute.Experiment!
    6: Housework:invite people over- it'll really make you clean.
    7: Recycling/Trash to treasureon't overlook a treasure that may have yucky paint on it ,could be a really nice piece.
    8: Crafts: just do it & have fun!
    9: Health/beauty:Add water to shampoo and hand soap. They will never know the difference.
    10: Misc: Make a game of saving. Pick a goal and put every extra penny towards it. You'll find you'll get there and actually have fun doing it.
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. The garden: crushed egg shells as food for roses
    2. Food shopping: buy what you normally buy when it's on sale, especially if you have coupons and then stock up.
    3. Child related: don't have children yet but when we do we'll be using the library a lot.
    4: Entertainment: trade videos/dvd's with friends
    5: Cooking: freeze leftovers if you think you won't eat them soon enough.
    6: Housework: hang clothes to dry
    7: Recycling/Trash to treasure: use acrylic paint on various boxes (cereal, shoe)and use for storage and gift giving.
    8: Crafts: save old candle wax, melt and stick a birthday candle in it.
    9: Health/beauty: exercise at home
    10: Misc: clean out your closets twice a year and bring what you don't wear to a consignment shop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. The garden: use beauty bark so you don't have to weed as often.
    2. food shopping: I use coupons as much as possible & try to catch the sales whenever possible.
    3. child related: My kids are grown.
    4. entertainment: I watch movies that I record.
    5. cooking: OAMC.
    6. housework: I do as much as I need to get done depending on how I'm feeling.
    7. recycle/trash to treasure:I get used candle wax from a friend & make new candles.
    8. crafts: I only buy my supplies when they are on sale.
    9. health/beauty: I stock up when shampoo, conditioner & other items are real cheap.
    10. misc.: keep all my change in a bowl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. The garden: Plant only what you like and can use up.
    2. Food shopping: Buy on sale, use coupons.
    3. Child related: Dollar Tree is a great, cheap place to buy kid stuff
    4: Entertainment: Play board games like Monopoly and Scrabble
    5: Cooking: Freeze veggie leftovers and save for a pot of soup
    6: Housework: Try baking soda or vinegar before buying expensive cleaner.
    7: Recycling/Trash to treasure: Save egg cartons to start seeds in
    8: Crafts: Save bluejean scraps to use for a quilt, pot holders, etc
    9: Health/beauty: Turn bottles upside down when almost empty to get every little bit
    10: Misc: Buy clothes out of season on clearance.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal tips $$$

I was going through a box of "stuff" and came across a sheet of paper that I wrote down these tips, I don't know where I wrote them from so can't give credit. Here they are:

~Don't buy things on credit except for your home

~Save 10 percent of your income for retirement

~Make a price book and only buy groceries on sale. Use your freezer and stock up

~Have an emergency fund equal to 6 months salary

~Keep track of spending and plug the money leaks

~There is joy in creating

~Laziness costs money

~If I can read about it, I can do it!

~Libraries are great and free resources

~Live a C.O.D. lifestyle, don't be a slave to your credit cards

~Pennies add up to dollars

~Laziness costs money

~Kids want your time more than they want stuff

~Waste no food

~Need does not equal want

~Stay out of stores

~Don't allow shopping to meet other needs such as excitement, security and emotional support

~Make your own dough for bread, etc....not prepackaged

~Don't confuse love and money

~Develop a taste for cheaper goods (ex. carrots instead of asparagus) You learn to love things even though they may not be "good enough" by other peoples standards, but you love them simply because you feel good about yourself and realize the basic goodness of eating, having clothes, have a car that runs etc..

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast