Little Known Secrets - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For burned food on the bottom of a pot, put a little dish soap and cover with water (About 2 to 3") and boil for 20 to 30 minutes. This will remove most of the burnt on food and loosen the rest.

Scott

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-Buying houses to live in at tax sales.
    -Making vinegar from plant waste to clean and use as fabric softener.
    -make laundry soap from Zote.
    -Limit trips to grocery store,
    -Make my own oil soap similar to Murphy's oil soap.
    -Drink water or milk only
    - Use hot water bottle to heat up bed in winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

01. For going #1 use cut wash clothes or scraps of fabric instead of toilet paper. If you did that from ages 20-80, per person you would save about $1,500.
    02. If you have a low enough income you can apply for free or discounted anything. Electricity, phone, food, health insurance. If you are in a position where you can't make more money right now, apply for these things!
    03. You can buy gift cards online at many websites between 1-35% off of their value. For example purchasing a $100 gift card for somewhere for $80. If you plan ahead you can save up to 35% off of wherever you shop. This ends up averaging around 20%.
    04. The average miles per gallon for 40 miles per hour is 33, for 50mph 32, for 60mph 28, for 70mph 24, and for 80 22. So think of it this way. If your gas costs the average $3.29 a gallon and you travel 100 miles if you went 40mph that trip would cost you $9.96, at 50mph $10.28, at 60mph $11.75, at 70mph $13.70, and at 80mph $14.95. Lets say you travel the average American distance of 36 miles per day. If you stopped driving on the freeway at 70mph and drove on a back road with few stops in one year you would save $491 a year or $41 a month on gas.
    05. Electric toothbrushes only improve tooth health by about 10% compared to manual brushes. If you brushed your teeth an extra minute a day I bet it would make up the difference. Between ages 20-80 buying a new electric toothbrush every 5 years costs you about $1,300 + $2,300 to replace the brush every month. Instead, buy toothbrushes by the bulk, there are websites that sell them as low as $0.07 each, replaced each month, this would cost you $50 in 60 years instead of $3,600 with electric ones.
    06. A straight razor costs about $30 and if sharpened correctly will last forever. Use that to shave instead. Even buying 10 disposable razors for $1 used everyday will cost you $2,190 between the ages of 20-80 but most of us use razors that cost more like $5 a piece, replaced once a month, which is even more $3,600.
    07. Powdered eye shadows and blushes are pretty much created equally no matter what the brand. They all have very similar ingredients, the expensive ones are only minutely better than the cheap stuff. Use primer and cheap dollar store eyeshadow and it looks and works just as good as the expensive stuff. Pay $15 for a primer and $1 for a pallet and you'll get ten times the usage with multiple colors versus paying $15 for one color.
    08. Many sunscreens have cancer causing chemicals (ironically), buy a pound of zinc oxide powder for $15 online and mix it with lotion. Find a DIY article on how to do it. It is natural, safe, effective, and inexpensive.
    09. Cut open tubes of toothpaste, lotion, condiments, etc. On average about 10-20% of the volume of the product gets stuck where you can't squeeze it out.
    10. Ladies, remove your make-up with olive oil. Your eyes, face, etc, it leaves it soft and clean. Wash afterward if needed.
    11. Buy a paintbrush or shaving cream brush and apply your soap, scrub your face with it and it works just as well as those expensive electric face scrubbers.
    12. Drive behind a big semi truck when you can to reduce wind resistance, you will make your gas more efficient, up to 40% more efficient, this was even proven by the popular TV show, "Myth Busters". At 100 feet away (even with cars between you) you can still make your gas 11% more efficient.
    13. The USDA reports that the average monthly cost of food for a 18+ adult in the United States in May 2014 was between $167-$331 per person. The average thrifty and healthy vegan meal costs about $1 per person, making a vegan's thrifty meal plan about $90 a month.
    14. Coscto isn't as good of a deal as many think. The average savings for everything at Costco is 10% and about 20% on food. Your Costco membership costs you $50-$100 a year. If you buy all things there you must spend between $500-$1,000 a year to break even and every $500-$1,000 you spend after that you are only saving between $50-$100 a year. If you buy food only at Costco, double those numbers. If you pay attention to ads, plan your meals, use coupons, and cook from scratch you could save over $1,000 a year instead.
    15. You can find Netflix and Hulu codes for sale on Ebay to make a year of Hulu or Netflix cost between $25-$60 a year instead of $96-$120.
    16. Spices are one of the highest mark up items in the food industry. For example at Walmart 1.5oz of McCormick fennel seeds costs $5. But on online bulk spice websites you can get 4oz for $1.50.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

* and the best one yet..... turn your underwear inside out so you can get two wears outta it before it needs to be washed! (ROFL IM SOOO JOKING!!)

The above is my favourite! Chuckle.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use stainless steel scrubbers in the kitchen. They do not rust and can be cleaned easily and effectively.

I have them last several month before needing replaced.

I bought a 3 pack at Walmart for a bit over $3 last time I bought one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just browsing through this and read every post, again. I was needing some new tips. Here's mine that I didn't see in the thread:

Reuse tin foil as pot scrubbers. (Just be gentle.) First use: toaster oven to catch spills. Second use: flip it over, use the other side in the toaster oven. Third use: crumple it up loosely into a small ball and tuck it under the sink until you have a pot to scrub. Gently use it as you would an SOS pad. I have done this for years, I have not purchased SOS pads. You do not have to press hard. I use it on my non-stick pans (we all know there are some things that just stick).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to save on sos pads if you don't wear it out when using it put it in a small freezer bag put in freezer I have used one several times since I learned this secret.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use foil to polish and remove rust on chrome. Take a bit of rubbing works good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toss chocolate chips in flour before folding into cake batter to keep them from sinking to the bottom while baking. Maybe this is common knowledge for many but I had never heard this and am anxious to try it out for the brownie cheesecake I'm making for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All great ideas. I just bought a cheap belt at gw and turned it into a watch band.

Stock up on sale items

Canceled cable and Netflix. Watch YouTube and library dvds instead.

My wife cuts my hair

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any new Secrets out there??
    2017 Goals:
    Saving:
    January - $3,000/$3,000...February - $3,000/$3,000...March - $3,000/$3,000...April - -$9000(to fund 2016 Roth)/$3,000...May - $4,000/$1,000...June - $0/$0...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$3,000...September - $0/$3,000...October - $0/$3,000...November - $0/$3,000...December - $0/$3,000

Roth:
    2016:
    January - $1,000/$1,000...February - $1,000/$1,000...March - $1000/$1,000...April - $9,000/$9000 Fully Funded!!
    2017:
    April - $1,000/$1,000...May - $1,000/$1,000...June - $0/$1,000...July - $0/$0...August - $0/$0...September - $0/$2,000...October - $0/$2,000...November - $0/$2,000...December - $0/$3,000

Debt
    January - $594.14/$650...February - $750.87/$650...March - $752.10/$650...April - $0/$650...May - $0/$650...June - $0/$650...July - $0/$650...August - $0/$650...September - $0/$650...October - $0/$650...November - $0/$650...December - $0/$650

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

12. Drive behind a big semi truck when you can to reduce wind resistance, you will make your gas more efficient, up to 40% more efficient, this was even proven by the popular TV show, "Myth Busters". At 100 feet away (even with cars between you) you can still make your gas 11% more efficient.
    Sure hope no one thinks it's a good idea to buy into this one. Tailgating is DANGEROUS. Especially if you're close enough that you can't see around a big truck to see what you're driving into. Also, if you can't see a trucker's mirrors, the trucker cannot see you, and that is dangerous, too. Ask a trucker sometime how they feel about people drafting behind them, and be prepared to get an earful. Then ask a cop the same thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been using the plastic mesh bags (the kind you sometimes get with a bag of fruit) for scrubbies. I cut off the labels at the end. Then I tie one or two bags in a few knots till they are kind of round. They rinse out so much better than the scrubbie sponge things. And we they wear out I just replace them for free.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cat litter containers come in a variety of sizes and make great free storage systems.

Under-bed storage in our camper:

Sewing room storage using two types of pails covered with Contact paper (cheap at garage sales):

Cat litter jugs with tops cut off to fit into cabinet with little wasted space. I added handles made of cable ties so they're easy to pull out. This set is in the sewing room, but we also use them as slip cases to organize packages of paper, spiral notebooks, and other office supplies in Husby's office, and to organize small cookbooks and owner's manuals for small kitchen appliances on the cookbook shelves.

I've also used cat litter pails stacked two high to make self-watering planters, which work very well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the vinegar with my dish soap but,i also add a bit of cream of tartar,it get things really clean especially pans.You can also use baking soda also a bit of corn starch with the dish soap,it does work wonders also makes them shine.

17. Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011