3 things to save money - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Simple things I can do to save money:

Use resusable containers (all the time) when packing lunches. I only do this occassionally.

Hang clothes to dry vs. dryer

Do more bulk cooking to stay away from convenience foods

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things I want to do to save money

Quit smoking, tried and failed. but will try again
    Inventory and organize pantry. My dh likes to stockpile, when things are on sale. But when he does this I find I buy things that we already have. This also goes for the kitchen cabinets.
    Cook from what I have on hand.
    keep heat low.
    Turn off lights when not in use. My ds thinks everyone in his path has to be on all the time.
    Impulse buying. I am getting better at that.
    One thing I have done is I dont carry the much cash. Dont really use the credit cards, I have been paying cash. But if I only carry a few dollars or just what I am going to spend the impulse to buy is lower.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love this thread!
    But could someone explain how your using shower water to flush the toilet?

My three:
    1. Get a drying rack to hang clothes on. It's too cold & rainy here to do it outside now (Oregon). But then I always think that getting a drying rack will cost money so I don't actually do it. Anyone got any ideas about this?

2. Get serious about Christmas planning. I'm usually good about this but this year not so much. I'm afraid I will end up spending more than I want because of poor planning.

3. Figure out how to say "NO" to my 17 yr old DD. I keep reasoning that I can do this or that for her because this will probably be our last year together (she's a senior). I'm spoiling her rotten.

Hmmmm, I don't know if I can handle this much honesty. Now that it's "out there" do I really have to follow through??? LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kris B View Post
    I love this thread!
    But could someone explain how your using shower water to flush the toilet?

My three:
    1. Get a drying rack to hang clothes on. It's too cold & rainy here to do it outside now (Oregon). But then I always think that getting a drying rack will cost money so I don't actually do it. Anyone got any ideas about this?

:
    Ok-- frist. . I pull the plug up on the tub (to stop water from going down the drain) when I start my shower. . . so all the water collects in the tub. Then I just use a gallon ice cream bucket to dip the water out during the day to flush the toiliet. . . I DO NOT reccomend this, if you have small children in the home, where drowning would be an issue!

As for drying clothes--- hang the clothes on hangers while wet. . . then hang the hangers on your shower rod -- or run a rope/cable/wire (what ever you can get for free) in the rafters of the basement or attic , etc to hang the hangers on --- you can clip socks, underwear, and other small items to the hangers with clothespins. . . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. -- any and all loose change found must go into my change jars
    2. -- i keep an excel spreadsheet of all my expenses. every month i'm able to see how much i spent and where, on a month to month basis. it makes me feel really good to know that ive worked hard on cutting down electric usage and being able to see that difference in the monthly utility numbers. im an auditor. numbers are a strange fascination.
    3. -- ive gotten into the habit of reading the local grocery store circulars that come with the "junk mail" and really am able to compare prices and keep tabs on what price is actually a bargain and which others are just fluff because of it.

- i do the whole.. X amount of cash for the week and when its out, its out. it works very well for me and others on this forum. leaving the debit card at home.. thats the key

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the good ideas. Here's my 3:

1. Will try the navy showers. But I sure do love my long showers.
    2. Declutter, declutter, declutter
    3. Organize my house

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Ok-- frist. . I pull the plug up on the tub (to stop water from going down the drain) when I start my shower. . . so all the water collects in the tub. Then I just use a gallon ice cream bucket to dip the water out during the day to flush the toiliet. . . I DO NOT reccomend this, if you have small children in the home, where drowning would be an issue!
    I don't mean to be a ditz, but I still don't get it. Where does the water go, in the bowl? Do you still flush the handle thingy? Sorry... I guess I just don't know much about how toilets work.

Thanks for the idea on hanging clothes, I'll have to try that!
    Kris B

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kris B View Post
    I don't mean to be a ditz, but I still don't get it. Where does the water go, in the bowl? Do you still flush the handle thingy? Sorry... I guess I just don't know much about how toilets work.

Kris B
    Sorry-- you're right, it just goes into the toilet bowl. . .No, you don't still use the handle thingy. . . .you won't have much water in the bowl, when you flush this way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Less eating out (1-2x per week max), and this snowballs because cooking more means DH takes leftovers for lunch - perfect, so savings x2.

2. Dry clothing outside. I live in a climate that allows this year round pretty much as long as I'm not too lazy to hang it out.

3. Coupons, coupons and more coupons. I'm saving at least 50-75% off my bill each time and finally have it down to a very reasonable level every week on that. It takes a lot of work though.

Tanya

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stop wanting to buy DGD everything under the sun! ( probably will not happen but I can at least lower it! )

Eat out only once per pay period ( 1 time every 2 weeks)

Use up all the groceries I buy. I still end up wasting way too much..fruit and salad mix... i just have to buy it, then no one is home to eat and out it goes!
    Have to use up what is in the freezer too...
    Barb
    July 2014 Goals
    Grocery challenge 500.00/0
    Menu planning - 5/1
    Christmas 2014 50/0
    Swim with Dolphin Fund 100/00
    Bedroom carpet and redecorate fund 100/00

Time Goals
    Exercise 3x per week - walk/bike/boflex/dvd/yoga class 15/1

Health Goals
    Drink 32 ounce water or herbal tea daily 31 days/3
    Sleep - retire no later than 11 in bed as opposed to on chair

UFO July - Hem Maddies dress/weed flower beds again

Every little tiny bit helps to get rid of that debt

Success is not determined by how smart we are, It is determined by the decisions we make

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great thread! I think I'll print it out.

My three:

1. declutter and organize all that we have -- it is amazing what "treasure" gets unearthed -- especially craft/office supplies
    2. make better use of groceries on hand on a daily basis
    3. TRY to be good about new holiday decorations
    Annie

Homeschooling mom to DS9 and the World's Most Spoiled Rat Terrier ... Wife to DH for 13+ years

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great thread

(1) stop impulse buys - includes impulse meals out
    (2) better meal planning - especially quick fixes
    (3) cut down on the soda habit - who am i kidding...i won't quit completely but I could definately cut down

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1) start line-drying my clothes again
    2) Stay home, decrease driving
    3) Get creative with left-overs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My 3 Things To Save Money

1. Combine grocery money w/ my sis into one budget for the month and do OAMC together

2. Lock my AMEX and Visa in the safe in my closet!

3. Now that I realize how much money I spend on gas for the car during the month, make a budget, take the money out in cash, and make it last the whole month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    1) utilize supplies I have on hand , rather than purchase new. ie: making black walnut cookie bars, instead of chocolate chip cookies because I have free black walnuts in my yard, vs purchasing chocolate chips. . . or scrounging my yarn/fabric stash and making gifts based on my stash, rather than finding a pattern first, and then having to purchase materials to make it.

2) Creative use of all foods-- saving the potato peels for bacon/cheese/peeling appetizer dish, dehyrstating and powdering carrot tops, celery tops, etc. Pureeing leftover mac/cheese and using as the base of a cheese soup, etc.

3) taking "navy" showers , rather than full showers or baths, then saving the shower water to flush the toliet.
    that is so cool you hve Black walnuts in you yard.
    Melinda

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast