Frugal Village Forums banner

Looking for Non-Toxic Surface Cleaner Recipe

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  tabithapatrick 
#1 ·
I know I've seen this idea thrown around before. Maybe it was baking soda and vinegar????? Anyhow, I'm just looking for something for like the bathroom sink area and the like.
Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a Borax cleaner that I make
1/2 cup borax to 1 gallon hot water. I usuall make a smaller version of this recipe just keep the same ratio of borax and water and I fill a spray bottle with it. I use it in the kitchen, bathroom for just about anything.

Here is a Scented soap one
2 cups hot water, 1 to 2 ounces of castile soap, 5 to 10 drops of essential oil of your choice, 16 ounce spray bottle.
Just mix and shake in the spray bottle. This one is great for washing kitchen cupboards, counters, door handles etc.

For greasy stains use a castile cleaner
1 tsp washing soda
2 tsp borax
1/2 tsp castile soap
2 cups hot water
10 drops essential oil of your choice
16 ounce spray bottle

#3 ·
i read somewhere that you can just use hydrogen peroxide [the medicinal one] pour some on a cloth and wipe away. Use in kitchen and bath. Cheap too.

#9 ·
Yep, I've used hydrogen peroxide for probably 1.5 years and it works great.

Think about it, hydrogen peroxide is used to "disenfect" cuts or scraps and some doctors offices actually use it to wipe down their examination tables.

I buy a 2 bottle set (large bottles) from Costco for like $2.00 or so and pour one into a spray bottle.
I go through, spray all the surfaces down and then just wipe off.

Works great.

#11 ·
cleaners

I use vinegar and water. For tough jobs I add baking soda along with it. Borax works well also.

#13 ·
Would you use the vinegar and water solution on the stool? Would this be strong enough? I've always used Mr. Clean or bleach and water but I do want to switch to something much healthier.

#15 ·
My mom is very earthy and part indian...I grew up remembering her always using baking soda and vinegar and it worked amazing. first she would sprinkle the baking soda on the surface than dump a bit of white vinegar over it...and bam, it was bubble and then you wipe and it shines! Good luck!

#16 ·
This is my very fave bathroom cleaner.... well all-purpose cleaner:
3 parts water
2parts vinager
1 part peroxide
20-30 drops tea tree oil
and any good E.O. of your choice. Iam using Peppermint right now!
Vinager I read somewhere disenfects better then Lysol! Peroxide and vinager together is great on mold! and the tea tree is a natural disenfectant in itself!
LOVE this cleaner!
Oh yeah you need a spray bottle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.