Frugal Village Forums banner

Out of date canned goods...

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jettsmom 
#1 ·
I was organizing my pantry and found three cans of tomato soup that have a use by date of March of 2008.

My first inclination is to use them sooner rather than latter, since the cans are in good condition. No rust, no dents or bulges.

What do you all think?

#4 ·
Not that I'm telling you to eat an expired can (because I'm not!), but DH took a food safety course at his work and found out that canned food usually has an expiry of 10 to 12 years!!! The reason they don't put that on cans and such is because people would be grossed out! It goes to show that lots of additives and preservatives are added to our food!!!

#5 ·
The food in the can is safe to eat as long as there is no dents or rust. Quiltin' Mama is right ..... food in cans are safe for at least 10-12 years.

Reactions: One Frugal Mom
#7 ·
Quiltin' Mama is right ..... food in cans are safe for at least 10-12 years.

I did find some cans of a tuna type fish called wahoo, this weekend that were buried. I had to toss about 4 cans because they were dented so badly and bulging. They were shipped from Samoa and the package was in pretty bad shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.