Frugal Village Forums banner

Freezing peppers?

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  MaryCarney 
#1 ·
is it possible to freeze peppers raw or do they need to be cooked, i buy them in packs of 3 as they are cheaper but i never seem to use them all before the expiry date and they go all soft in the fridge. I was thining i could freeze them but i didnt know itf it was possible and if so how long can they stay frozen for?

#4 ·
You can freeze them but they will be soft and mushy (as if they've been cooked) when they thaw. I only use them in dishes where I'd want cooked peppers, like chili.

With the red ones I sometimes char them on the grill and peel them first so that I have roasted red peppers for sandwiches or pizza. Those keep really well frozen.

#5 ·
I slice or dice mine and put into freezer bags. I've still got some from last summer that I'm using up. I put them into small bags then put them into a large freezer bag to help keep them better and to keep the smell of them from seeping out. I love having my own peppers in the freezer!:thumb:

#6 ·
thanks, my dad has pepper plants so i can harvest those lol. i have tons of plastic containers i can use. thanks

#8 ·
I read somewhere (and it works great) to cut up the peppers spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze. When they are frozen take a spatula and scoop them up and put them in a freezer container (I have put them in plastic bags); that way when you need them they are not all frozen stuck together. If you need 1/4 of a cup you just scoop it out, frozen.

#10 ·
We freeze them right from the garden. They do well in the freezer as long as you use them within six to nine months. Past that, they tend to freezer burn quite bad.

#11 ·
you can also dehydrate them if you want...I did that last summer then I threw them in the freezer....they don't get mushy...on me.

#14 ·
wow so much to do. and i didnt think of the price increase in winter too. im thinking ahead and going to get some things in for xmas soon - like cranberries, last year i went searching on xmas eve for them. not good. lol

#15 ·
I freeze mine chopped, sliced and then I take some and freeze in equal portions with chopped onions - this comes in so handy when making chili, sloppy joes, vegetable soup and the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.