Cabbage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabbage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cabbage

Cabbage is one of those veggies that I eat more of in the summer months & usually in a slaw. Now for my confession (get ready Mrs. McDowell) I use a bottled coleslaw dressing, yes it's true. I've tried and tried to make it myself but it comes out watery, blah, and not rich, creamy and wonderful.
    How do you make yours? What veggies do you use in your slaw? What else do you do with cabbage?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hehehe Darlene...I'm not better then you...I buy a bag of mixed slaw (reg or broc slaw if I want to mix it up) and pour on the bottled slaw dressing, toss, let sit then serve. To mix it up, I'll use The 3 cheese ranch dressing. My dad's always been great at making the sweet vinegar type dressing.

We usually sautee cabbage leaves w/tiny bit of oil and garlic in the wok...Yum!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually saute it in some olive oil, with some salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll add ham and potatoes, to make a meal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't stand the taste of coleslaw dressing. So I don't really do slaw but as a matter of fact, I'm trying a new recipe tonight with a bag of slaw.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lol Libby.

Great inexpensive full of flavor meal Julie!

Hey Palooka, I used to hate coleslaw as a kid, I meal really hate it. Hope to hear more about your "new" recipe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I will let ya know. I'm hoping it will be a keeper. It's almost like spring rolls, but it's wrapped in tortillas instead. Calls for shredded carrots so I hope that drowns out the cabbage taste. heh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only like coleslaw if it is more of the vinegary dressing. Like in the south!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm....Palooka, you gave me an idea....what about a stir fry using slaw mix vs veggies? Slaw mix sauteed with some meat and hoisin sauce? Mmmm...

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Hmmm....Palooka, you gave me an idea....what about a stir fry using slaw mix vs veggies? Slaw mix sauteed with some meat and hoisin sauce? Mmmm...
    It is like a stir fry, but no meat. And I did buy bottled hoisin sauce and a few others to mix up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like a tart coleslaw. I use apple cider vinegar, mayo, stevia, onion, garlic , salt and pepper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The best coleslaw I ever had was at my high school/college job at a family restaurant. Unfortunately they're out of business, so I'll never know the recipe (I didn't make the slaw when I worked there.)

Anyway now I use the copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw. It's delish and spot on

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~For coleslaw, I use the KFC copycat recipe from Top Secret Recipes but I omit the minced onion. We think it's too strong. It's one of the few veggies DH will eat so we have it fairly often in the warmer months.
    I prefer cabbage boiled and served with ketchup. I could eat it several times a week. My mom made Ham & Cabbage when I was growing up as a way to use up a ham bone. She threw potatoes in the boil too. I remember picking out all the cabbage I could get and I still do it. Now I just skip the other ingredients and just make the cabbage!
    I'm also pretty fond of homemade egg rolls. I use YankeeMom's recipe posted here. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    I've tried and tried to make it myself but it comes out watery, blah, and not rich, creamy and wonderful.
    How do you make yours?
    if you like a tart/vinegary dressing I can try to explain my moms......IT WAS THE BEST!!!

No measurements to give......sorry....I just sort of watched her do it. will try to give approximate measures of what I do.

Put whatever veggies you like in with the slaw....sometimes mine is just plain cabbage.....or add shredded carrots......whatever you like.

The dressing:

Use half and half.......no substitute. I would plan on making at a minimum of 3/4 cup.....depending on amt. of cabbage you have shredded.

Pour 1/2 cup half and half into a 2 cup measuring cup. You will need room to stir things. This will come close to determining the final amt. of liquid you have. Add other spices that your family likes.....onion, garlic, etc.

To this add a about 3 tablespoons of sugar (not quite 1/4 cup)
    Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Then add the apple cider vinegar slowly while stirring. It will start to 'sort of' thicken up as added. The final result will be like runny gravy. Pour over the slaw and let sit until serving. The longer this can sit the more flavor the slaw will have. (gets even better the second day!!)

I don't like white vinegar in cooking but guess you could use it if your family likes it. I have also used some of my flavored vinegars that I made (lemon balm vinegar or pepper vinegar)and it is yummy!

I add a flavored pepper after I put the dressing on and stir again.

The key here is to add the vinegar to the 1/2 and 1/2---NOT the other way around. Been there --done that.......and it is much runnier and changes the flavor.

Try it and let me know if you liked it and were successful.

Good luck!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You have to be willing to use cream and mayonnaise...

Sweet southern style cole slaw dressing:

1/3 c sugar
    1/3 c white vinegar
    2 T cider vinegar
    1/2 t salt
    1 c cream
    1 c mayo
    2 T mustard
    1 T celery seed

I put this over a mixture of cabbage, carrot and onion, just enough to coat everything. It will make several 2--4 cup batches of slaw. It keeps indefinitely in the fridge. It does separate out, but is easy to remix.

Let the slaw sit at least 1 hour before serving.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pull off leaves and blanch in hot water.. then i make a mixture of rice,ground beef, garlic, onions and put a big dollop and roll up into the cabbage leaves, layer in a crock pot or a pan to go in over, pour over tomatoes or tomatoes sauce till cooked and tender.. these really freeze real well.. like a stuffed peppers only stuffed cabbage leaves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast