Frugal Village Forums banner

Aldi: $19.99 food dehydrator

20K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  jacqueline 
#1 ·
Aldi has a Crofton food dehydrator on special buy thru 7-21 for $19.99. It is the round type. I don't know anything about this dehydrator, as I already have an Excalibur, but I thought someone who wanted to try dehydrating without investing a lot of money might be interested. They also have a food processor for $18.99

#2 ·
Thanks so much for sharing this deal -- I have the Excalibur now, but definitely believe it's best to try a less expensive model first to see if it's something you want to continue before investing a lot of money. This is a great price, and hopefully someone here at FV will be able to take advantage of it!

#3 ·
wonder if DD would want to ship one over to me?

#5 ·
I think so too - now I just need to convince here of the same!! LOL!!

#7 ·
Mahalo - I'll tell her you said so!!

#11 ·
Being new to food drying, I opted to buy the Crofton Food Dehydrator offered at Aldi's. Since beef jerky is one of my favorites, it was a logical first choice. Although I over-dried the beef slightly, the result was a tasty and perfectly acceptable jerky. I can see where the round design of the unit might restrict its use for certain drying projects but as a beginner, I am impressed with the unit and considering the attractive sale price would recommed it for the casual user.

#21 ·
crofton hydrayor

:purpcat::purpcat:

I bought the crofton from Aldi, great price... I have dried fruits to making my fav beef jerky... it does work quite well, the only thing I have seen it do that Im worried abt. is the trays are melting and cracking in some areas.... but overall its fine and dandy for its use thus far.:purpcat::purpcat:

#12 ·
I got one too. It's your basic bottom of the line model with an exposed heating element in the bottom and no fan to speed drying.

I made two trays of jerky, which the booklet said could take 8-12 hours and it was done in about 7 hours. So I'd say it works fine, you just want to watch it the first time you use a recipe.

#14 ·
the price was until 7/21, so what is the regular price? I didn't get a chance to get to Aldi to take advantage of the lower price.

#17 ·
I bought this a few weeks ago and in the booklet the company states for banana chips should take on level 2 setting 9hrs I done this and they where still squishy, so I turned around and the next time I did level 4 setting with the vents for 12 hours still nothing, I really want to make beef jerky but if banana chips aren't even turning out I dont' think anything will :(

ideas??

#18 ·
maybe your slices are too thick? We just did a 2nd batch of jerky last night and it is coming out fine.

#19 ·
I got this when it was on sale last month and the first thing I made was banana chips (Aldi also had their bananas on sale for 25c/bunch - it was meant to be lol). They turned out great. I did them for twelve hours.

#22 ·
good for you finding a dehydrator you can afford. i already have one. this weekend i dried apple chunks to use to liven up my morning oatmeal.
happy dehydrating - i love mine!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.