The Everything Bean Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile The Everything Bean Thread

With grocery prices on the rise...we could all use a little extra beans in our diets and cut some cost. Whats not to love about these little jewels?

Share recipes, tips, pressure cooking, freezing, questions or whatever you want here.

Here is a simple recipe I want to try.

3 cups dried pinto beans
    8 cups vegetable broth
    5 cloves garlic — chopped
    1 dried red chiles — crumbled, up to 3
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    liquid smoke — a few dashes

Makes 6-8 servings

Soak dried pinto beans in a large amount of water for at least 8 hours. Discard the water and place the soaked beans in a large pot. With the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, simmer for about 3 minutes, then turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the beans are very tender. The beans should be a bit “soupy”. If you have used a salt-free or low-salt broth, adjust for salt now.

Per serving: Calories: 109, Protein: 5 gm., Carbohydrates: 21 gm., Fat: 0 gm

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to be making Lentil Bread Soup with a few changes this week.

Biba's Taste of Italy: Recipes from ... - Google Books

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I plan on making Pinto Bean Sloppy Joe's this week. I have everything on hand. This is from the Supermarket Vegan cookbook.

1 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 6 oz. can tomato paste
    3/4 cup water
    1/3 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup molasses
    1 tbls. of chili powder
    1/2 to 1 tsp. of liquid smoke(optional)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    pepper
    hot sauce (optional)
    6 buns or whatever bread you use

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining ingredients. Bing to a simmer over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, simmer on low until thickened. About 8 to 10 minutes, stirring and mashing the beans with the back of a large spoon.
    Spoon on hamburger bun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Ironic tale:

Perfect timing for the thread Palooka, thank you!

My 15 yr old niece is seriously considering giving up meat for Lent. Thing is, she DOESN'T like beans! I know... the horrors!

I love beans and don't try to hide them or mask their flavors in other dishes and I'm thinking some of the flavors might be more than she is prepared to handle.

I'm giving her 1 cup bags of my dried bean assortment and I'm hoping she will give them an honest (more than 5 bites) try. Any ideas on the easiest way to introduce them into her diet would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking if she tossed 1/2 cup into her meals then she'll be more accepting of the more robust flavors. I'm going to introduce her to hummus, cooked lentils and cooked Black eyed peas on Monday.

Has anyone mashed them up with potatoes or other veggies?

Thanks in advance. I think I'm going to learn a lot in this thread.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need to get my pressure cooker back out. I like it for chickpeas. I love to make chickpea salad, just like tuna, but without.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cea, hummus is a great one for her to try. I dip anything I can in it. LoL

What about chili without the meat? Bean tacos with all the fixins. Dh is a big meat person and will eat bean tacos and never notice there is no meat. I just use the regular taco seasoning on the beans.

Let me think about it a little.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is the famous chickpea cutlets recipe from Veganomicon cookbook that is all over the web. I've made this once and you would never know it was beans.

Chickpea Cutlets Recipe - CHOW

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bean Burgers?

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a simple recipe that I've posted here before that I make all the time.

Black Bean Dip

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 cup of your favorite salsa
    garlic(don't skimp on this, I use about a Tbls.)

Mix all in a blender until smooth and chill. I dip tortilla chips in it or you could stuff some in corn tortillas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted a recipe for spicy veggie chili a while back. I love the stuff and could eat it every day. I like to put a little scoop of it on top of cooked pasta or rice.

I've got a lentil/rice dish that even my non-veg friends like. I'll have to dig it up and post it (and make some)!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm officially hungry now.

I really wish I liked Lentils more. I've made them a few ways...and blah...I never make the same recipe again. Now if I could get them to taste like Progresso lentil soup! I love that.

Another thing that is really good is sweet potatoes with black beans. Makes a yummy combo. I made this casserole with that a couple weeks ago that is a keeper. I need to make sweet potato and black bean burritos.

Black eyed peas is something that I like but haven't eaten in forever. Anyone have a yummy recipe for those?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great thread!!

Palooka - what steps do you use when using your pressure cooker for garbanza beans?

Think I will be adding one new bean recipe a week - shall let you know what I use!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cook beans almost every single day, sometimes twice a day. My mother in law gave me a pressure cooker in August and it CHANGED MY LIFE. I rarely even put it away, it's usually sitting on the stove ready for use!!!

Here are my all-time favorite recipes... but there are SO many more... (By the way - in case these look a little weird, my husband and I are very conscious of calories, so I cook very very low calorie. Just throw in some olive oil if you need more calories! I don't use PAM or one of those cooking sprays; I put regular olive oil into a Misto oil pump to get "cooking spray" but PAM will work the same.) All make 2 dinner-sized servings.

"Refried" (Not Fried) Beans

Ingredients

300g dried black beans, left to soak 2-3 hours
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    5 jalapeno slices, diced (I use the jarred ones)
    1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp cumin, ground
    1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
    olive oil cooking spray

1. Spray bottom of pressure cooker with cooking spray. Saute onion until translucent (about 3 mins). Add garlic, jalapenos, oregano, cumin, and sugar.
    2. Add beans, stir, and cover with water (just barely). Cook under pressure for 10 minutes or until beans are soft.
    3. Spoon beans into food processor with their liquid (or use an immersion blender in the pot). Add salt. Process until smooth. Taste, add more salt if needed.
    4. Serve with plain nonfat yogurt (Greek yogurt) and fresh lime juice.

--------------------------

Greek "Fava" Dip

Ingredients:

200g yellow split peas, dry, soaked for a few hours if you think of it
    several bay leaves
    1 tsp salt
    2-3 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    freshly ground pepper
    1 small onion or shallot, sliced (for garnish)
    olive oil cooking spray
    olive oil (optional - I put this in my husband's, leave it out of mine)

1. Spray pressure cooker bottom well with cooking spray. Put split peas in pressure cooker, cover by 1/2" with water. Add bay leaves. Cook under pressure for 10 minutes (12if you didn't soak.) Liquid should just be gone.
    2. Spoon cooked split peas into food processor, or use immersion blender in pot. Add garlic and 1/2 tsp salt, vinegar, oil if using, oregano, pepper and puree until smooth.
    3. Thin with vinegar or water if too thick for a dip. Serve on a plate with sliced onion on top and drizzled with olive oil if desired. Serve with bread and olives.

-------------------------

Lentil Soup

Ingredients:

250g brown or green lentils, dry
    60g onion (1 small), minced
    4 cloves garlic, pressed
    1/2 can tomato sauce (the plain kind)
    2 medium carrots, in 1/4" wheels
    2 tsp cumin, ground
    2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
    1.5 tsp cinnamon, ground
    2 tbsp vinegar (optional, for garnish)
    salt, pepper
    olive oil cooking spray

1. Coat pressure cooker bottom with cooking spray. Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned.
    2. Add lentils, tomato sauce, spices, and carrots, and enough water to cover by 2".
    3. Cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
    4. Serve. Stir in vinegar if desired. Salt/pepper to taste. Ideally let sit 5-10 mins before eating.

---------------------

Sauteed Spinach and Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

200g chickpeas, dry, soaked overnight
    400g fresh spinach, washed, stems removed
    4 fresh green onions, sliced into thin rings
    25g currants or small raisins
    60g feta cheese (I use low fat)
    2/3 cup fresh dill, chopped; or 1 tbsp dried dill weed
    2 tsp dried rosemary or 1.5 tbsp fresh
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tbsp pine nuts
    salt and pepper
    olive oil cooking spray

1. Gently toast the pine nuts until just golden. I use the broiler in my oven for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
    2. Coat pressure cooker bottom with cooking spray. Saute rosemary with diced onion for 1 minute. Add chickpeas and turmeric with enough water to cover the chickpeas by 1/2". Cook under pressure for 7 minutes. Check a chickpea for tenderness. Strain and set aside. (Note: your chickpeas should be bright yellow.)
    3. In a frying pan coated with cooking spray saute green onions for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach in handfuls, stirring, until wilted. When cooked, withdraw from stove to a bowl. Add the dill, salt and pepper to taste, and mix.
    4. Assemble on plates in layers: spinach on the bottom, then the chickpeas, and top with currants and toasted pine nuts, and finally crumbled feta cheese.

------------------------

Chickpea Bisque

160g chickpeas, dry, soaked overnight. Use the peeled kind if you can find it.
    250g crusted tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 medium carrots, diced
    1 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp parmesan, grated
    salt and pepper
    olive oil cooking spray

1. Spray pressure cooker bottom with cooking spray. Saute onions for 1-2 minutes.
    2. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrot, turmeric, pepper, and onion. Cover by 1" with water. Stir well. Cook under pressure for 25 minutes, checking water level periodically.
    3. Remove from heat, stir in salt. Process in food processor (or with immersion blender in pot) until smooth.
    4. Serve with some parmesan sprinkled in the center and freshly ground pepper. Serve with thin toasted baguette slices.

----------------------

Vegetarian Chili

(This one makes 4 servings. When I make it, we usually have it for lunch and dinner.)

200g red kidney beans, dry, soaked overnight
    300g black beans, dry, soaked overnight
    100g navy beans, dry, soaked overnight
    2 medium onions, minced
    4 garlic cloves, pressed
    100g canned corn (use more if you don't mind the calories)
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    4 tbsp tomato paste
    6 slices jalapeno peppers, diced (from a jar)
    2 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1.5 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
    1 tsp hot paprika or chili powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    olive oil cooking spray

1. Coat pressure cooker bottom with cooking spray. Saute onions for 2 mins, then add garlic. After 1 minute more, add kidney, black, and navy beans. Cover with water by 1". Cook under pressure for 9 minutes.
    2. Open pressure cooker. Add all other ingredients. Cook on medium low heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
    3. Serve with nonfat plain yogurt (Greek yogurt), fresh salsa, and Tabasco sauce.

These are all recipes that I make regularly and we really like. We aren't vegetarians but meat is insanely expensive where we live, so our protein comes from beans and eggs. I have more good recipes, including an almost fat-free hummus, if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think with most bean "haters" dried out beans are the thing they don't like. I especially like the creamy texture of white beans like navy, great northern & cannellini . Maybe she'd like my recipe for Fusilli with Broccoli and Beans
    omitting the meat.
    Black bean quesadillas are good...I'll add more later. http://blogchef.net/black-bean-quesadillas-recipe/
    Last edited by Darlene; 02-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast