Rotisserie?

Thread: Rotisserie?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Rotisserie?

I'm thinking of getting a rotisserie. Do you have one? Do you like it? what do you cook most often in it?

What kind do you have? Pros and cons?

I just want to do my "homework" before I spend the money. I'd appreciate any guidance you can give me.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a Fix it and Forget It - Ron Popeil (sp) variety. It is one of the earlier models and I received it as a gift. I have used it for turkey (up to 15 lbs) and rarely put my bird in the oven anymore.

Mine came with adjustable baskets for chicken pieces, fish or burgers that looks like it would do well but I've never used them.

I use mine 1-2 times a year and that is probably because it takes up quite a bit of space so I pull it out of the cupboard when I need it. I would probably use it more IF I had the counter space for it..... and I remember to line the pan with foil. Clean up can be a little hassle since the fat from the foods get roasted onto the skewers. I'm glad I have it though.

There is a ham in my fridge ..... so maybe I'll give it a spin in my rotisserie when I cook it. Thanks for getting me thinking about it.
    Last edited by Ceashels; 04-28-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added info
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had one and got rid of it. I didn't use it very often because it was a pain in the a@@ to clean - even using foil didn't really help. And they are awkwardly large to store in a cabinet - you really need an open shelf.
    Having said that - I DID like the way it cooked things and had no complaints about its performance.
    Wish I could remember what brand it was to help you further.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the Ronco brand..I used it at once a month or so when DH was alive but have only used it 2 times since..

I have cooked whole chicken, Pork roast, and Beef roast..I love the taste of the food from it..It does take a lot of time to cook in it and is hard to clean up but so worth the taste.No fat and the flavor is great. It is hard to find a place to store it but again to me was worth it..I use a Santfa brine on pork and brine it for 3-4 days before I cook them and for chicken I usually soak them in salt water over night to make the skin crisp.

To me the extra work and mess is worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have one on our gas grill and love it. When this grill dies we will need to either get an indoor model or another grill with one. We love cooking whole chickens & pork & beef roasts on ours, always tender & juicy.
    Clean up can be a pain but I just let my stuff soak and use a stiff brush to get into the little nook & crannies of the forks that attach to the meat. The taste of the meat is worth all the trouble, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a big george that isn't made anymore. I got it as a Christmas present years ago and love it. It is the only way I will cook a ham or sholder. I also cook Turkey brests and chickens.

I have had some of the lesser quality ones before but this Big George (George Foreman line) is by far the best. I do wish it had a easier to understand temp gauge though.

Make sure to get one big enough for what you want to do.

If I were to replace it the only change would be the temp guage and possible having one that would do more than just Rotisserie.
    total debt: $23977.09 updated 04/02/11

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    We have one on our gas grill and love it. When this grill dies we will need to either get an indoor model or another grill with one. We love cooking whole chickens & pork & beef roasts on ours, always tender & juicy.
    Clean up can be a pain but I just let my stuff soak and use a stiff brush to get into the little nook & crannies of the forks that attach to the meat. The taste of the meat is worth all the trouble, I think.
    I have to get some pictures put up when I get home from work... We got one with our barbeque when we bought it 7-8 years ago or more. We used it for the very first time last week with a small chicken. Oh my Lord was it delicious. With our set-up the only thing to clean is the stainless rotisserie rod, which was not a chore at all. Definitely going to be making more use of it now that we know what it can do.

Made chicken soup with the leftovers and it is equally delicious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really think I would get a lot of use from it. A couple of years ago I bought a toaster convection oven, and after reading reviews, went to the top of the line and bought a Cuisinart. It is wonderful, and I have never regretted spending the extra money.

The rotisserie I am looking at is also a Cuisinart and really pricey, which is why I am hesitating. But the reviews are really good. I could do roasts and chickens, kebabs (yum), and it has a basket I could use for chops, roasted veggies, etc.

I have no way to grill, so this would give me some faux-grill options. Since I cook just for myself, quantity/size is not an issue.

This is the one I'm drooling over:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CVR-1000-Vertical-Countertop-Rotisserie/dp/B001RNG422/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1304107563&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Cuisinart CVR-1000 Vertical Countertop Rotisserie with Touchpad Controls: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Er5hdut0L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Er5hdut0L[/ame]
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice. It does have a smaller counter footprint since it is vertical which is nice but it only has an 8 pound food capacity. Which means really, really small turkeys.... or big chickens. LOL

I like that the drip tray comes out with the meat, a big plus in my mind. You also have a choice of temperatures that my Ronco doesn't have. Ooooh, non stick interior!

I think that even though it is a little pricey. The quality and the functions make it worth it.

Let me know when dinner is ready!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks so shiny & pretty, I was eyeing it today too,lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're convincing me!

I don't like dark turkey meat, so I never buy whole turkeys, even when they're cheap. The last time I did, with the intention of using the dark meat for soup stock, I decided it was just too much work and never again. Someone in the reviews though did a turkey breast in it, and said it turned out great.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    I have to get some pictures put up when I get home from work... We got one with our barbeque when we bought it 7-8 years ago or more. We used it for the very first time last week with a small chicken. Oh my Lord was it delicious. With our set-up the only thing to clean is the stainless rotisserie rod, which was not a chore at all. Definitely going to be making more use of it now that we know what it can do.

Made chicken soup with the leftovers and it is equally delicious!
    Here's from our rotisserie chicken, it was our Easter supper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, low-1! That looks wonderful!

Sigh. I was so busy on Easter, I had leftovers.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Might check on Ebay and see if you can get the same one cheaper. Sometimes patience works on there if you're not in a hurry.
    I'd love to have one but I saw one at Walmart with a convection/toaster oven. It was $99. This would be after the toaster oven we have bites the dust. But after reading this about the cleaning I'd have to really look at it hard. Not into an hour of cleaning it each time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/16

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014