Next Level....Made Hamburger Buns!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Next Level....Made Hamburger Buns!

I must say that I did a AWESOME job making the hamburg buns today! I definately will be making my own from now on.... They can be used for Sub rolls also. I used my bread machine and put it on the dough setting..I don't own a scale to weigh each one of them individually to get them all the same size so I just eyeballed them..I shaped them, sprinkled corn meal on the cookie sheet,let them rise and lightly brushed the tops w/water and sprinkled sesame seeds on top and baked them..I really wanted to post some pictures but my son said after he took a few pictures /my laptop that I don't have some kinda thingie to do so...
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is terrific! You can also vary the seeds on top - poppy seeds, nigella, flax seeds, even oatmeal flakes are all nice. Or you can make onion buns - saute some chopped onion and mix into the dough while it's kneading in the machine - towards the end. Delicious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default dh made these the other day...

it was amazing..they were so delcious...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saule View Post
    That is terrific! You can also vary the seeds on top - poppy seeds, nigella, flax seeds, even oatmeal flakes are all nice. Or you can make onion buns - saute some chopped onion and mix into the dough while it's kneading in the machine - towards the end. Delicious!

Thanks for the info..it surely will come in handy as I further my journey into different doughs and toppings..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alotofgooddeals View Post
    it was amazing..they were so delcious...

YAY..for your Dh!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG! Did you use the recipe from FV? That's the one I use and they always stay nice and tender.

I do have a food scale but I just eyeball them, too. In fact, I make them different sizes depending on how big a hurry I'm in, if I'm behaving and want fewer calories per bun, if we're having larger burgers and need bigger buns, etc. As long as they're all close to the same size in the same batch, it doesn't matter.

I freeze them as soon as they cool. Without all the preservatives breads from the store have, they'll get stale quicker. It's easy to take out what we need and nuke them a few seconds and then they taste like they just were baked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be careful. Now you are a breadmaker and you won't be able to ever buy bread again.

The possibilities are endless and your skills and confidence will only increase. Enjoy the journey!

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    WTG! Did you use the recipe from FV? That's the one I use and they always stay nice and tender.

I do have a food scale but I just eyeball them, too. In fact, I make them different sizes depending on how big a hurry I'm in, if I'm behaving and want fewer calories per bun, if we're having larger burgers and need bigger buns, etc. As long as they're all close to the same size in the same batch, it doesn't matter.

I freeze them as soon as they cool. Without all the preservatives breads from the store have, they'll get stale quicker. It's easy to take out what we need and nuke them a few seconds and then they taste like they just were baked.

Will you adopt me? I seriously love reading your post..I learn so much from you! HUGS....I got the recipe from the booklet that came w/my bread machine... they came out really lite & fluffy perfectly shaped and about 5 out of the 6 were the right size for a above average size hamburger..I really want to freeze them but need to make room for them..I also need to make several to feed my teenage boy's,my 24yr old brother,dh & myself..They will make great sub rolls also..Also they are very filling..I could only eat 1/2 of my hamburger which I really don't care for hamburger in general so I made my burger real thin like a McDonald's single burger..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moasmom View Post
    Be careful. Now you are a breadmaker and you won't be able to ever buy bread again.

The possibilities are endless and your skills and confidence will only increase. Enjoy the journey!

Kara

Your so right Kara.. I haven't really purchased any bread because #1 I'm trying to save money #2 less trips to the grocery #3 better tasting and #4 to justify my purchase of buying my Zojirushi bread machine..I think I will make Bagels sometime in the next couple week's.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, would you mind sharing what kind of bread machine you have?

I have been wanting to learn to make my own bread, but didn't know if a bread machine would be worth the purchase. thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ROFL. Thanks, Brenda.

You can add #5 to your list: More filling than ready-made bread. That stuff has more air than food in it.

Forget what I said about freezing them. If you're feeding teenagers, the buns won't last long enough to worry about them getting stale.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laney, don't be afraid to try making bread by hand. Click on the following link for a very simple no-knead bread recipe. I've never been a fan of no-knead breads but this one turned out nice. It's now a go-to recipe for me. Very simple and very little hands-on time.
    No Knead Bread: so easy a 4-yr old can make it!
    Read the entire thread.

Never be afraid to experiment. You don't have much to lose if something doesn't work out, and a lot to gain WHEN it does.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Never be afraid to experiment. You don't have much to lose if something doesn't work out, and a lot to gain WHEN it does.
    This is so true and a great thing to remember. I've only been making yeast bread for about 9 months, and making all the bread we eat for about 4-5 months. So, obviously, I am no expert and I have made mistakes. However, I have yet to make some inedible. Even my worst mistakes have been fine made into croutons or bread crumbs or bread pudding.

In the beginning, I thought of teaching myself to make bread as a frugal hobby. I let myself experiment and kept it frugal by not buying expensive ingredients or tools. As I got better, it has become less a hobby, and more just a way of life (since I make all our bread now), but I still really enjoy it and now I let myself spend a bit more on ingredients (bread flour, rye flour, etc.), but I have definitely learned that I don't need any "fancier" tools. No breadmaker needed, for instance. But, I did already have a KitchenAid mixer, which I use a lot.

Anyway, that's a lot of babbling to say that anyone can learn to make bread (I did!) and enjoy it, even the mistakes.

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The resident deer in our front yard are always happy to take any failed baked experiments right off my hands.