Cake Decorating?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Cake Decorating?

My niece has asked me to decorate her cake for her wedding. The wedding flower is sunflowers. The colours are blue, white, and yellow.

I used to do cake decorating, but haven't in years. Even gave away all my equipment for doing it. But this is not the first time this has come up. I am kicking myself for giving away my stuff. I have found a place where I can repurchase equipment. I figure the cost will be well under $50. I will consider it a gift to her.

I have a couple of questions. Any ideas how to use sunflowers to decorate a 2 tier wedding cake without overwhelming it?

Anyone with btdt experience? Or any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did 2 out of 3 dau's cakes. I have no idea how to make icing sunflowers, but placing silk sunflowers around the base, between layers, & a bouquet on top would look nice. A simple shell border with a blue dot between shells, would look fine. I would use what I have. 2 9x13's, stacked on top of each other, as my base. Dowels thru the bottom layer, 2nd layer-2 9x9, top layer, 2 8x8 or cut smaller to look right. Then I would have sheet cakes. Silk sunflowers scattered around them & again shell borders in blue. Good Luck! Actually everything depends on amt of guests & how fancy she wants the cake. I would look @ Goodwill for cake pans. I've seen Wilton cake pans there.
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The cake is already baked and in her grandmother's freezer. It's 2 tiers. I am not sure the sizes or shapes yet. I've sent her an email asking for more particulars. Her mother is growing small sunflowers "about the width of your hand" my daughter told me. I'm double checking that too. Those would be awfully small sunflowers! I'm guessing she meant LENGTH of the hand. In which case they'd be too big for the cake. But it depends. We'll see... We're debating putting live sunflowers on the cake at the moment.

Love the idea of the blue and white shell border Ali. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooooh Stinkbug! Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, so the cakes I like have gum paste sunflowers. But the wedding is in the open air the middle of August in PEI. Read: high humidity and high heat. So no gum paste. I think I'm stuck with a butter-less buttercream (I can use butter extract and a special shortening) and royal icing flowers...or the real thing.

Hmm...think I'll check out the Wilton cake decorating forums/boards to see what people have to say.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would rethink the live flowers. Bugs just love to nestle in all the center fluff.

piney

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about making royal icing sunflowers? Sunflower You can make them well ahead of time and in different sizes. They should hold up well in the heat. You might want to use hi-ratio shortening. It holds up better in the heat.
    Leah
    Married to DH (20 yrs) and mommy to DD(14), DS(12) and DS(6)
    21-
    2-

Debt free except mortgage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's the stuff! Where do I buy hi-ratio shortening? I am in a bit of a fix. The wedding is the other side of the country and I arrive 3 days beforehand. Is that early enough to make some royal icing flowers and have them dry? Or am I going to have to transport them as carry-on luggage to get them there safely and have them dry enough to use on the cake?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've seen Sweetex at my Cash N Carry, but it only comes in 50 lb blocks....so unless you are planning to do a lot of cake decorating, that probably wouldn't be the best bet. I know they carry it on Amazon, but I bought mine from thebakerskitchen.net. It was around $10 for 4 lbs plus shipping.

I've never made royal icing flowers that big before, but I've made smaller ones that dried within a days time, so I don't know how long it would take to have large ones dry. I would think 3 days would be long enough, at least to have them dry somewhat so you could handle them without messing them up.
    Leah
    21-
    2-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I'm sure you already know this, but the hi-ratio shortening is for the buttercream. The recipe I use for royal icing is the Wilton recipe on their website, so unless you already have some, you'll need to pick up some meringue powder as well for the royal icing.
    Leah
    21-
    2-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I knew that last part Iansmommy. I have meringue powder, but haven't used it before. I picked up some cheap shortening at the grocery store that has over 3.5 g. of trans fat per 2 tsp. That's as high as I could get. I'm thinking I'll check some other stores in town for the hi-ratio shortening first. Someone must sell it locally!

Found cake decorating stuff at Bulk Barn cheaper than Michaels, but not as cheap as the local craft wholesaler...not surprisingly. But it looks like a non-issue because two friends have tips/equipment they are going to lend me hopefully. I just have to wait till next week to get it. Bummer...I'll be putting in a lot of hours practicing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure to post pics of it, I would love to see it...
    Leah
    21-
    2-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm...one of my friends had to reneg on her offer of cake decorating equipment. Apparently she was offering up her daughter's! The daughter just happens to be decorating cakes this summer, so is obviously not interested in loaning it to me. Ah well. Hope the other friend can pull through for me. If not, it's off to buy the stuff again. This time I won't be so stupid as to give it away. I had NO idea how expensive the stuff has become.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Was 'talking with' dneice this morning on FB. She linked to a cake she likes... I find it a bit stilted, but I think I can work with it. I spent some time this morning comparison shopping silk sunflowers for it. Picked up more cake decorating books from the library too. And looked longingly at the cake decorating supplies at Michaels and the local craft store. Need to make a decision soon. Michaels has a sale on cake decorating supplies right now. Found a fondant icing recipe online that I like.

I have the size of the cakes. A 30 cm round cake topped with an 21 cm round cake. Now...what's the formula for figuring out circumference again? I've got to figure out how far apart to ice the scroll designs on the bottom layer of the cake. I'm off to do an Internet search.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast