Frugal Village Forums banner

For Those Who Make Homemade Gravy...

986 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bamamomto4 
#1 ·
For those who make homemade gravy (as in gravy and biscuits), do you have a certain recipe that you use or is it just "eyeballing" the ingredients? My mom has always just made it with adding this and that, no particular measurements, just what she thought looks right. I have been experimenting with this and getting better, but it is a work in process. So, just wondering if anyone uses a recipe and if so, would you share it here? Thanks.

#3 ·
I never measure with gravy either. My husband calls my gravy "race gravy", he says it is so thin that it races off his plate. I guess I am not the one to ask for gravy instructions, but I love my own gravy and thats all that really counts right? (to heck with the rest of em...more for me!)

#4 ·
Here's my cousin's recipe:
Sawmill Gravy

12 oz. sausage
cooking oil
1/2 c. all -purpose flour
2 c. milk

Cook sausage. Drain, and reserve drippings. Measure drippings, add enough oil to make 1/2 cup. Heat in skillet, stir in flour. Cook and stir for 3 mins., until browned. Add milk seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly, cook and stir 1 minute more. Crumble in 1 or 2 sausage patties. Makes 4 cups.

#7 ·
I never use a recipe either, just a bit of this and that. I just make it like my mom, my grandmother and my granny all made it. Our gravy I guess would be called "generation gravy". :D

Robin, I like the name of yours as well. There have been times when I could have called my gravy that as well. :toothy:

#10 ·
LOL When I first started trying to make gravy..it looked liked mashed potatoes.....then it would be like Robin's 'race gravy' well,I have finally,after about 13 years can make decent gravy. I don't use a recipe though...just bacon or sausage grease,flour and milk....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.