Frugal Village Forums banner

May's baking/cooking club theme

4K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  mgrear 
#1 ·
Lighten Up!

Gone (almost) are those cold days of winter and summers almost here. Time to break out those lighter recipes that put a spring in your step and a smile on your face as you are spending more time out & about and not hibernating. I'm talking light & luscious snacks, main dishes and everything inbetween. :sun:

#2 ·
This is a nice refreshing main dish.Love the lemon & the garlic!

Fusilli with Broccoli & Beans

1 bunch broccoli (1 1/4lbs),cut into small pieces

1lb fusilli (tight twist) pasta

1T olive oil

3lg cloves garlic,minced (use less if you must)

1 can cannaloni (white kidney beans) drained & rinsed

2T fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp S&P

1tsp lemon zest

2 oz shredded prosciuto (I use ham)

1/2 c.(or less) grated parmesan cheese

~Cook pasta adding broccoli the last 2 min.Drain,reserving 1/2 c. of the cooking liquid. Place in serving bowl,keep warm. In same pan pasta was cooked (or separate pan while pasta is cooking) saute garlic in oil 'til softened. Add reserved liquid & remaining ingredients except cheese. Heat through.Add to pasta, add cheese & toss together.

#3 ·
Thanks for that recipe - it sounds so good!

I'm excited to see what great recipes are posted! I have been looking for some "lighter" meals to cook now that the weather has warmed up. :D

#5 ·
Originally posted by Julia Kimber
Well our weather is getting cooler here in Australia as it's autumn (Fall) now, but this looks a tasty meal so will give it a go! :D
Julia
Sorry Julia, I'm in my own little bubble here and forgot about what it's doing in the rest of the world.:loop:

Please add your light and luscious recipes, I'm so looking forward to them!Pretty please.:D

#6 ·
I'll post a very quick, easy and fun family favorite.

Grilled Vegis

Marinate your favorite vegis (potato slices, zuchinni or other summer squash slices, onions are personal favorites) in a mixture of vegitable or olive oil, garlic salt and italian seasonings. Grill them on your BBQ for a fantastic side dish or appetizers at your next cookout.

BTW, we are doing the potatoes tonight.

#7 ·
Mmm sounds delish Debbie. Do you put your potatoes on a skewer or in foil or some other way?

#8 ·
Nope, I just lay the slices right on the grill. They get kind of crunchy on the outside and baked on the inside. DH is grilling them as I type this and I'm drooling. The onions do better in a foil packet though. I suppose you could also churck or cube the vegis and skewer them like shish kabobs adding some mushrooms and cherry tomatoes also. That should be pretty and delicious!:D

#9 ·
My parents do potatoes and onions on the grill this way: Take a baking potato and make several slices in it, but don't cut all the way through the bottom. Add chunks of butter into each cut, then add a large slice of onion into each cut. Wrap the whole thing in foil and grill until the potato & onion are cooked through. The outside gets crunchy, and the inside is just perfect. :)

We like to do shish kabobs on the grill- just cut up chicken or steak, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, etc and marinate in Italian salad dressing in a large ziplock bag. I do this in the morning and let them soak all day in the fridge. When you're ready to grill them, let each person make their own kabobs with the marinated ingredients-- yum! :chef:

Spring always makes me think of the "salad plate" lunches that are served at work (nursing home) this time of year. On those lunches we get a scoop of tuna salad or cottage cheese, half an apricot, half a pear, and fresh strawberries or grapes-- served with a bowl of mushroom or celery soup. It's a nice meal.

#10 ·
Darlene said:
Sorry Julia, I'm in my own little bubble here and forgot about what it's doing in the rest of the world.:loop:

Please add your light and luscious recipes, I'm so looking forward to them!Pretty please.:D

Don't worry about me over here Darlene, sometimes light recipes are all I fancy to eat even in winter!:D

I'll look out some of my own to post!
Julia

#11 ·
AmyMCGS said:
My parents do potatoes and onions on the grill this way: Take a baking potato and make several slices in it, but don't cut all the way through the bottom. Add chunks of butter into each cut, then add a large slice of onion into each cut. Wrap the whole thing in foil and grill until the potato & onion are cooked through. The outside gets crunchy, and the inside is just perfect. :)

These sound delicious Amy, will definitely try them when BBQ season comes around again! :D
Julia

#12 ·
High fibre salmon and vegetable casserole

This is a microwave meal, quick and easy, healthy too!

It's in grams, hope you can all convert!

15g Butter or margarine
1 Onion, chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Stick celery,chopped
1½ Cups cooked brown rice
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
90g Mushrooms, sliced
1 Small red bell pepper, chopped
220g can salmon or tuna (If using tuna, it must be in water not oil)
130g can whole kernel corn
1 Tablespoon chopped chives
½ Cup grated cheddar cheese

Combine butter or margarine, onion, carrot and celery in a dish, cover and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.
Add rice, lightly beaten egg, tomato paste, mushrooms, red pepper, undrained salmon or tuna, corn and chives and mix until well combined.
Sprinkle with cheese, cook on HIGH for 8 minutes or until heated through.

Enjoy!

#13 ·
Thanks for all of the great summer recipes! I'm always looking for new ideas for the summer!

Susie in MN

#14 ·
#16 ·
I like to make ranch pasta salad. There's not much of a recipe. Just cooked macaroni, packet of ranch powder, mayo, a bit of sour cream, tomatoes, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese.

#17 ·
Strawberry makes a wonderful iced coffee that I absolutely love. If you see this post, strawberry please post it in here, otherwise I'll try to get to it after bible study this morning. I've got the recipe upstairs, got to dig it out, it's a summertime classic around here.

#18 ·
Here you go....I love this recipe and have made it a few times this spring already. I have never drank coffee, don't like the taste, but I love iced coffee. I usually use decaff coffee if I'm planning on serving this in the evening.

Iced Coffee

1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup whipping cream(not whipped) - I use half & half instead and there's no difference

Dissolve sugar in hot coffee, add vanilla, milk and whip cream or half & half. Stir. Freeze in jar or juice jug until slushie. I usually make this up and freeze when I have any leftover coffee. Because it's frozen solid take out of the freezer a few hours (2 to 4 hrs) before serving. As it thaws it use a wooden spoon handle to break it up. Sometimes once it starts to thaw I pour it into a pot and use my potato masher and break it up. You want the coffee to be the same consistency and a slurpee.

If you want to be fancy, put iced coffee into nice glass mugs and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Most of the time I don't do this; I don't need the extra calories.

This is wonderfully refreshing and makes a great usual summer dessert.

#19 ·
Ladies you have to try it, I love this drink of Strawberrie's. It is REALLY wonderful!:D

I need to buy a little cream this payday I think, it's getting that time!

I make it with the half and half, and I like it best that way too.

#20 ·
Thank you-that sounds terrific!!!

#22 ·
STRAWBERRY SUNDAE SALAD

1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled & sliced
¼ cup fresh orange juice, divided
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 lb. (2 cups) cottage cheese
1 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel
½ cup granola cereal
Salad greens

Combine in electric blender container 1 cup sliced strawberries, 2 Tablespoons orange juice and sugar. Cover and process until pureed. Mix cottage cheese with remaining 2 Tablespoons orange juice, orange peel and granola cereal. Arrange salad greens on 4 individual serving plates, topping each with ½ cup cottage cheese mixture and remaining sliced strawberries.

Serve with pureed strawberry sauce and sprinkle with additional granola cereal, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

FRESH STRAWBERRY SAUCE

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

In a food processor, combine strawberries, sugar, lemon or lime juice and vanilla. Puree, then chill. Serve sauce over custard, ice cream or pound cake. Yield: 2 cups.

#23 ·
Tuna-Macaroni Salad

Makes 6 servings
Prep: 20 min; Chill: 1 hr

7-ounce elbow macaroni
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces), if desired
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, if desired
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 stalk , medium celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 (9-ounce) can tuna, drained

Cook and drain macaroni and directed on package. Rinse with cold water; drain.

Mix macaroni and remaining ingredients.
Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.

#25 ·
Originally posted by Julia Kimber
Originally posted by Darlene
This is a nice refreshing main dish.Love the lemon & the garlic!

Fusilli with Broccoli & Beans

Tried this the other day Darlene, it was really yummy. We halved the quantity as there's only two of us. Thanks for the recipe!
Julia :D
:yippee: Glad you liked it!

#26 ·
I'd like to thank all of you for adding such delicious recipes to try! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.