My ventures in cheese making! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The results are in!!!

We cracked open our cheese wheel, well ok it was only 5 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall, but it was round.

Our Monteray Jack cheese wasn't quite what we expected. It is good, definitely, but it isn't MJ.

The flavor is sharp and the texture is crumbly. Overall it reminds me more of cheddar that hasn't mellowed yet. I think our variation of the recipe happened when our "high tech" thermometers didn't register the temperature differences in the hot water bath and the curd was allowed to sit for double the length of time. (I'm not sure if this may have lowered the pH, adding to the sharpness.)

We've been grilling portabello mushrooms and layering carmelized onion and then the cheese on top and popping it all in the broiler for a few minutes. DELICIOUS!

I am looking forward to our next attempt.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post

We've been grilling portabello mushrooms and layering carmelized onion and then the cheese on top and popping it all in the broiler for a few minutes. DELICIOUS!
    That sounds sooo wonderful! Congrats on your cheese. I just requested a catalog from the link you provided earlier...thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job!

One of the best parts of having a family milk cow is filling the fridge with cheese. It's sooooo good! My favorite cheese so far is Swiss. Oh...my!!! It's soooo good, I almost swooned...LOL! I'm saving a big wheel of it until Christmas as a gift to myself (ok...I guess I'll share a little with Hubby and the kids...but mostly, it's MINE! ). All my extended family want cheese for Christmas.

Variations in temps will definately give you different cheeses. Especially on the low temp cheeses, the temps are critical to get the results you want. I'm sort of relaxed about it, though, because as you found out, the cheese might be a little different than you expected, but it's still usually very good.

I've found that cultured buttermilk makes an excellent alternative to mesophilic starter, and yogurt is an excellent alternative to the thermophilic starter. Both can be cultured and refreshed indefinately at home, so it's very economical.

Here's a thread from another site where I posted a picture tutorial of how I make the 30 minute mozzarella from Rikki Carroll's book. It's so easy and good! [ame="http://minionreport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4220"]MINIONREPORT[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never did get to make any cheese. The lady that was going to teach us had to cancel.

I'm thinking of ordering the stuff and trying it on my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odilia View Post
    Great job!

... My favorite cheese so far is Swiss. Oh...my!!! It's soooo good, I almost swooned...LOL! ... Variations in temps will definately give you different cheeses. ...

So how do you make swiss? I LOVE swiss cheese. This seems like it might be great fun to make as presents for Christmas. Is there still time, or would I be working on next year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Swiss uses thermophilic starter and an inoculate that I can't think of the right name right now...I'll look it up in the morning -- it's the stuff that causes the cheese to swell and make holes.

The methods for all hard cheeses are the same: heat milk, stir in starter, bring to/hold at specific temp, rennet the cheese, bring to/hold at another temp, cut curds, etc... With Swiss cheese, you have the extra step of ripening the pressed cheese first at a cooler temp and then at room temp to encourage eye formation. I use the directions in Home Cheesemaking Made Easy by Rikki Carroll, which is an excellent book.

It would be cutting it close to make Swiss for Christmas gifts, as longer aging is preferred. Colby or other cheeses that need 2-4 months aging would work well. There are also lots of soft cheeses that don't require any aging that could be made into cheese balls, spreads, etc., that would make nice gifts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12