Frugal Village Forums banner

Lots of eggs

Tags
eggs lots
2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  acidcookie 
#1 ·
Between getting eggs at the food bank at union hall and getting them for WIC, we have A LOT of eggs. Several dozen at least. So, does anyone have any ideas of things I can make to use up these eggs? Any good recipes that take a lot of eggs. I made french toast the other night and tonight we had egg and cheese on english muffins. Maybe someone has some cake or cookie recipes that take a lot of eggs. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Lisett

#2 ·
omlettes for dinner
hard boiled
and my favorite, a HUGE pan of "kitchen sink" scrambled eggs, you name it you can add it, cheese, onions, tomato, potato, ground beef, sausage etc.

With all our hens I do the scrambled at least once a week, and I always keep hard boiled on hand for anything from pasta salads to just snacking on.

kj

#4 ·
We make this sometimes for supper, even though it's meant for brunch. It makes a lot though (like a dozen servings), so I only make half:

Need:
4 cups day old bread (French, cubed)
2 cups grated cheddar
10 eggs lightly beaten
4 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
dash pepper
8-10 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Directions:
Spray (or grease) 9X13 casserole dish. Spread bread cubes evenly on bottom of dish, sprinkle with cheese. In large bowl mix eggs, milk, and spices. Pour evenly over cheese & bread. Cover, refridgerate up to 24 hours. Before cooking, sprinkle with bacon and mushrooms.

Bake 325º for about 1 hour, or until set.

#5 ·
Quiche! I have a basic custard recipe somewhere. I'll look it up and post it for you. It's so cool....you make the custard (eggs and milk) and you add a certain amount of veggies and a certain amount of cheese and meat (any kind) and you pour it into a pie crust and bake it, and it's quiche!

#6 ·
How about something sweet? Angel food cake. . .pound cakes. . . .cookies. . .etc. I would probably make the some of the things already mentioned. . . .quiches. . .breakfast casserole. . .egg salad. . .boiled eggs to be cut up for cobb salad. . .breakfast sandwiches to be frozen for later. . etc.

#8 ·
I second the quiche idea. I would make up a bunch of quiches of all different sorts from whatever fillers I had in the house and after baking and cooling I'd freeze them so you had a stock of ready made dinners for lazy nights. Of course I am a quiche addict and could eat it almost everyday lol. I don't make it very often right now myself because eggs prices here are rising to outrageous prices and still climbing. You can also take the french bread you've been making and freeze it and bag it for quick breakfasts. Same for most baked goods. Then you win twice, by not only usuing up all your surplus eggs but also having a freezer stock of quick heat and eat homemade yummy foods. Another thing you can do is freeze eggs (use an ice cube tray and freeze whites in one tray and yolks in another, when frozen solid pop em out and put in baggies) They don't make very good scrambled or fried eggs but can be used same as fresh for baking and cooking in other foods, if you don't feel like going on a big cooking binge right now to use up your eggs.

#9 ·
Ditto to quiche. We like it with spinach & parmesan cheese.

Also rice custard. Oh my heavens is it good. I have some leftover rice I'm going to use up by making this. This is MIL's recipe:
RICE CUSTARD

4 eggs
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C cooked rice
1 cup coconut, optional
3 1/2 C milk

Beat eggs and sugar. Stir in rice and remaining ingredients. Pour into casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until knife comes out clean. **I believe it took mine longer than 1 1/2 hours but it might depend on the oven....Enjoy....**

#12 ·
OH OH I KNOW

MY favorite thing is deviled eggs. boil up a whole bunch of them, add a boiled egg to lunch boxes but make a big ole thing of deviled eggs and set them covered in the fridge and everytime i walk bye i will grab one. YUMM YUMM YUMMY for the tummy then take a cholestrol pill in the morning.

#14 ·
I make 5 breakfast burritos for my husband every week. He takes them to work for breakfast. I use a burrito size tortillas, either bacon (precook and freeze) leftover sausage, ham (lunchmeat), leftover refried beans, or anything else I can think of. I use 3 eggs for 2 burritos. One egg isn't enough but two is too many. I wrap them in wax paper then in foil. He unwraps the foil at work, and put them in the microwave still in the wax paper. They freeze well too.

We have breakfast for dinner here weekly and usually have a big brunch on Saturday mornings. We are a family of 5 and a dozen eggs is barely enough for a meal.

I also boil eggs for snack or salad toppings.

#16 ·
An egg surplus can be a very good thing!!

French Toast Casserole

Ingredients:
1/2 c. margarine or butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 slices of bread
8 eggs
pinch of salt
2 c. milk
Directions:
Melt margarine in a 9 x 13 pan. You may do two round ones in pie plates or one large sheet cake size, also. Rub sides of the pan with this melted butter.
Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the top.
Lay bread on mixture.
Beat eggs and salt together in a separate bowl.
Add milk and mix well.
Pour over bread.
For best results, cover and place in refrigerator overnight (or at least 2 hours).
The next morning, uncover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Cut into squares and place upside down on plates so the sugary syrup is on top. OR, I prefer to turn upside down on a platter and cut and serve at the table. If you bake it in pie plates, you may invert and serve on plates or smaller round platters.
This recipe is easily halved for small quantity, also.
Serves 6. (Well, that is what the recipe says, but I share it with a warning!)
----------------------------------------------------------------

I have another great recipe--a breakfast casserole--that I'll seek n find n post later today.

~~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.