Making Au Jus gravy mix from scratch?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Making Au Jus gravy mix from scratch?

I've stopped buying packets for just about everything, and I'm making stuff from scratch, such as chili mix, taco mix, etc. I always did like gravy from scratch when I make a roast beef.

But a quick work-night recipe that I like is hot roast beef sandwiches (with sliced deli meat) on Kaiser rolls (with a dab of horseradish ).

I'm wondering if I can pre-make the au jus mix from scratch, the kind that is sold in the envelopes? Or if I can make the au jus itself and just freeze it? I suppose it's just thin gravy.

And... Has anyone here ever frozen gravy before?

Thank you for any tips!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you can make the aujus with beef boulion (sp?) This is a receipe I use to make chicago style italian beefs

1 to 2 lbs italian roast beef (but regular is fine and usually cheaper)
    2 cps water
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    6 pepperoncini peppers
    pepper to taste
    1 tsp oregeno

combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook slowly 1 - 2 hours
    serve on sub rolls

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The term means "with juice" -- and that's pretty what I use -- the "juice" from cooking the roast in the crockpot. Seasoned beef broth in other words -- no thickening. I de-fat the broth first. You can season it with a number of things, apparantly some use soy or worchestershire sauce. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus"]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus[/ame]

You can freeze beef broth, you can also freeze gravy no problem. My suggestion would be next time you cook a roast put some of the broth in the freezer for when you want to make your sandwiches. If you do a web search you will find more ideas for seasonings.

If you use bouillion or canned broth watch out for the sodium -- both can be pretty salty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dad makes gravy - a huge whopping batch at a time....but its not the au jus kind, its actual gravy.

He takes real pan drippings from a roast or he'll cheat and use a blln cube. He'll make a rhue - flour/oil-fat paste in a heated pot and ladle in the stock bit by bit while wisking. He makes oh I dont know - 4L at a time and freezes them in 2 cup portions - great use for cottage cheese/sour cream containers - and lets them cool completely before shoving them into the freezer. So when you thaw a container its exactly how much we'd need.

Some people have blocks of ice in the bottom of their chest freezers to help fill the space so the freezer doesnt have to work as hard to keep things cool - we have tubs of gravy! LOL

Forgot to mention - when you thaw it out you may need to add a lil bit of water to thin it out as it will be thicker then before you froze it.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow thanks for these tips! They'll save $$$ and I'm sure the gravy will taste better too

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make it all the time. I saute some onions or shallots in some butter. Then sprinkle on some flour. Cook that a bit, then add a can of beef consume or beef stock/broth. Cook until it is a bit thickened.

I usually make it with deli roast beef sandwhiches and toss the roast beef in with the sauce to warm it. Then put it on bread and server some of the sauce in a little bowl for dipping.
    Nicole, Mom of 4 ages 8-18~