Frugal Village Forums banner

hot lunches

Tags
hot lunches
1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  perSue 
#1 ·
I neeome help making something different for my dh's lunches. I always put something hot in a thermos container but you can only eat so much soup,beans ect. Any ideas would help. I do use leftovers when we have any.He works in a lumber mill and is out in the cold all day so I ike to make sure he has something hot with his lunch. TIA

#2 ·
I occasionally make mini casseroles for DH's lunchs. If it is a wide mouth thermos what about mac and cheese or mixed up lasagna/hamburger helper types of meals?

#3 ·
We do tacos. I put the warm meat in the insulated container, and pack the cold stuff to go with it. Then, the kids build their tacos at lunch time.

#4 ·
Hot Lunches

My husband never knows when he is going to be in the field or not. So I figured out that whatever can go into the crock pot can be put into a thermos. I have given him pot roast with all the fixings. Chicken pot pie with dumplings. Stir Fries are good too. Those are his favorite. He is not to thrilled with Soup and beans so I stay away from those. Although he does like stews. Remember if you can stick in the crock pot to cook it can go into the thermos.

#5 ·
-What about a hearty 'forkable' pasta, like cheese tortellini? You can toss it with alfredo sauce, red sauce, or garlic and olive oil, sprinkle in some parmesan or pack that separately....

-Sloppy joe meat in the thermos, bun packed in a separate container.

-Hot tuna melt filling, bun packed separately

-Cheddar broccoli rice w/diced chicken

#7 ·
I put anything that fits into the thermos-
Hot dogs and sausages-send bun along
meat and cheese to pour over chips for nachos
mashed potatoes&gravy
hamburger gravy
casseroles-mac&ch, tuna, hamburger'helper', spaghetti,
slices of meatloaf
anything you can squish in there is great, also when it's warmer I send ice cream in the thermos and a straw-instant milk shake

#8 ·
Hey thanks everyone. These sound great. I trid the pasta but always ended up not getting enough sauce on it and it was kinda dry. I thought about thehot dogs since he could live on them. Do you put them in the thermos with boiling water or just put them in hot? The thermos I found is great for keeping stuff hot even after 6 hours. Thanks again for the ideas I love them

#9 ·
I boil water and put into the thermos and leave it for five minutes or so to warm the thermos, then I dump it out and just put the warmed hot dogs into it. The kids say it's ok this way.

#10 ·
well i'm guessing there's not a microwave or other way to heat up his lunch at work...

so what about pulled or bbq'd pork in a thermos?
buying an insulated lunch bag? (they usually come w/special boxes for food to keep cold/hot)

a thermos is a great tool...
pastas, soups, beans, "string" meats or small chunks, like a stir fry with noodles (rice could get stuck in there), oatmeal too.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.