Frugal Village Forums banner

Wanted: Alfredo Pasta Sauce recipe

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Marie78 
#1 ·
I have read (mainly on the What's for Dinner thread) that many people make Alfredo pasta for dinner.

Would anyone be willing to share their recipe for this. I am looking to be cooking it from scratch.

#2 ·
Here is the one that I make for dd whe she comes home from college. I modify it just a tad bit. I add a couple of cloves of fresh pressed garlic and I add an organic paste of bullion instead of cubes. I also add a sea salt that is called REAL SALT and it has not been refined so it is kind of pinkish gray in color. Then I add fresh cracked pepper as well. Good luck! HUGS, Lynn

Ingredients
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup parmesan cheese
garlic powder, to taste
Directions
1Dissolve chicken boullion cubes in 1/2 cup water.
2Melt butter over low heat in saucepan.
3Gradually, stir in flour.
4Continue stirring and gradually add half-and-half.
5Add chicken boullion.
6Increase heat to medium and continue stirring.
7Cook until thickened.
8Stir in parmesan cheese and garlic powder, if desired.
9Serve over hot pasta and garnish with parsley.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Darlene, that nutmeg sounds good! I use nutmeg in dd's stuffed ricotta shells and am now going to try it in her alfredo sauce as well. Thanks for the tip.

#6 ·
This is the one I use regularly. If you wanted a richer sauce, you could sub whole milk or heavy cream (or half cream/half milk) for the skim milk:

almost fat free alfredo sauce

1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 C skim milk
1 C chicken broth
4 T cornstarch
1/2 grated parmesan

Saute onions & garlic in nonstick spray intil brown. In medium saucepan, add mil, chicken broth, cornstarch, salt & pepper. Cook over medium heat until smooth & thick. Add parmesan cheese & continue cooking until mixture is very thick.

#8 ·
I use the one I found in one of Sara's online entries, we love it :):

Fettuccine Alfredo

10 ounces fettuccine pasta or wide egg noodles
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter
3 to 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
parsley, dried or fresh to taste

Cook’s note: The amount of butter you use depends on how much onion and garlic you use. If the sauce is too thick, thin it with milk. Add broccoli and chicken to make it a main dish.

Add pasta to a large pot of boiling water and cook until al dente; drain and set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter and add the garlic and onion. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables soften. Whisk in flour 1 tablespoon at a time to make a roux.

Pour 1/4 cup of the heavy cream into a small bowl. Add egg yolk and beat together with a fork; set aside. Pour the remaining 3/4 cup of heavy cream into the pot. Increase the heat to medium. As the cream starts to bubble, whisk while gradually adding the cream/egg mix. Continue whisking until well blended.

Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese, and continue to whisk the cream mixture in the pot. Pour in the remaining Parmesan and parsley, and mix until smooth. Immediately remove from stove. Add pasta to pot and toss to combine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.