Frugal Village Forums banner

Like Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Nishu 
#1 ·
Something for the lunchbox

Oatmeal Cream Pies
Adapted from Recipe Zaar. Via The Craving Chronicles.

Ingredients
1 cup butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour (1 1/2 cups for silpat bakers)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (The original recipe said quick oats but I don’t think it matters that much, my research just said that quick oats are mushier. The general consensus was that you shouldn’t ever use quick oats in baking because they are too soft.)
Cream Filling
2 tsp very hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening (Yuck, I know. I rarely use this stuff. I tried to substitute butter once and it was a giant failure, so you pretty much have to use shortening.)
1/3 cup powdered sugar (I might increase this to 1/2 next time, I didn’t think it was that sweet, but I have a major sweet tooth.)
1/2 tsp vanilla (will probably double this next time)
Process
1. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add in eggs, beating after each. Finally beat in molasses and vanilla.
3. Add to the flour mixture to creamed mixture and beat until just blended; mix in the oats with a wooden spoon.
4. Drop dough by tablespoons (seriously, don’t go bigger than this, they spread out) on parchment lined sheets, with plenty of space in between. (I fit three across on my commercial sized baking sheet, two for a regular sized baking sheet.) Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 10-12 minutes, or until just starting to brown around the edges. They will look moist; don’t overcook (10 minutes was perfect for me). Let sit on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
5. While the cookies bake prepare the filling. In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Set aside and allow this to cool.
6. Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl; mix on high until fluffy (it never really rises like an egg-white based frosting, but you can tell it’s fluffier after 3-4 minutes).
7. Add the cooled salt water and mix well (I thought this made the filling a bit too salty, which is why I’ll either be adding a bit more sugar or a bit less salt next time).
8. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.
Makes 1 1/2 – 2 dozen

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Polly

#3 ·
Your welcome Niko. I just made these for DH's lunch kettle this week and I got two thumbs up!

#4 ·
#6 ·
I tried to use butter in whoopie pie fililng once and that was a complete failure, too.

I wonder if you could take this person's shortening-free whoopie pie filling and put it in the oatmeal cookies?

the barmy baker: Makin' Whoopie...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.