Frugal Village Forums banner

Faux Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Missy 
#1 ·
Has anyone made these, and if so, did you use peppermint oil/extract? Has anyone ever made it with just "mint extract"? My store was out of the peppermint extract. These were a HUGE hit over the summer when I made them. I used peppermint extract then, and I want them to be just as yummy this time. I'm giving them to my IL's as a hostess gift when we go over on Christmas Eve.

Here's the recipe for anyone who isn't familiar with it. Sunshine was the OP.

Faux Girl Scout Thin Mints

"These taste like the Girl Scout Thin Mints." - Submitted by Cori Walkden of Greenville, North Carolina

6 ounces chocolate candy coating*
12 to 18 drops peppermint oil flavoring
1 sleeve buttery round crackers

1. Melt chocolate candy coating in double boiler.
2. Add peppermint oil to taste minty enough to your liking.
3. Dip Ritz crackers in chocolate and place on waxed paper to solidify.

Makes about 36.

*Note: You can substitute with 6 ounces chocolate melted and 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the mint extract spearminty? If so I'm not sure how they'd taste.
When I made them I used the peppermint extract. Sure you don't have some hidden away in the cabinet? good luck.

#5 ·
Hard to explain..it's just minty...it's just much milder, I've discovered. I made a test batch...going to ask Dave what he thinks when he comes home for lunch. I had to use a LOT more of the mint extract than the peppermint.

Yeah, I'm sure I don't have any more because I only buy it to make these cookies, and I ran out when I made them last time.

Oh well...I'll wait and see what he thinks. I'm sure they won't go to waste, and I'll check the grocery store again tomorrow :D

#4 ·
My DH is an addict of these during the cookie season. I will have to try them

#7 ·
I love thin mints, too. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

#8 ·
hubby loves those during cookie season - thanks for re-sharing the recipe - so in the end, are you saying that we could use either peppermint or reg. mint extract? how much of the 'mint' did you use?

thanks!! :)

#9 ·
hubby loves those during cookie season - thanks for re-sharing the recipe - so in the end, are you saying that we could use either peppermint or reg. mint extract? how much of the 'mint' did you use?

thanks!! :)
Yes, that's what I'm saying, though I think the flavor is better with the peppermint extract. I had to use a lot more of the mint extract. I used almost an entire 1 oz. bottle for 12 oz. chips and 2 tbsp. shortening.

HTH :)

#11 ·
Well, I guess that depends on how much you pay for mint extract. I got mine for $.99, so not too bad. Plus, you can't get Girl Scout cookies this time of year, and they're fresh w/o all the preservatives & chemicals, so I'd say for me anyway it's cost effective and worth it :)

#15 ·
great then, guess what i'm making for hostess gifts !! Thnaks for the recipe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.