What's your cost per load?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What's your cost per load?

Just wondering - I used to sell Amway and I LOVE the SA-8 laundry soap. Cea questions it's value but we don't know exactly how many loads we get or what the cost was of the stuff we would buy at BJ's.

What do you buy/use and what is your cost per load? I'm being nerdy and want to compare.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Charlie's Soap (powder) and purchased a 5-gallon bucket that is supposed to contain 1,280 (1-tablespoon) loads. When I figured the cost divided by the number of loads (1,280), that equaled 9-cents per load. Based on the average number of loads we do each week, we figured this amount of detergent would last us at least 3-1/2 years. I started using this bucket November 2007.

For additional savings, I don't use any kind of fabric softener. Clothes washed in Charlie's Soap are soft, even if you dry them on a line.

Safe, Non toxic, Biodegradable Soap - Charlie's Soap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I honestly have no idea....we buy Tide HE, so I'm sure it's up there. Not much of a choice right now though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    I use Charlie's Soap (powder) and purchased a 5-gallon bucket that is supposed to contain 1,280 (1-tablespoon) loads. When I figured the cost divided by the number of loads (1,280), that equaled 9-cents per load. Based on the average number of loads we do each week, we figured this amount of detergent would last us at least 3-1/2 years. I started using this bucket November 2007.

For additional savings, I don't use any kind of fabric softener. Clothes washed in Charlie's Soap are soft, even if you dry them on a line.

Safe, Non toxic, Biodegradable Soap - Charlie's Soap
    Wow

That's a third or so of Amway's SA-8...
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make my own with Ivory soap, Super Washing Soda and Borax. By my calculations it comes out to about $.10 a load. The Ivory soap is really smelly so my clothes come smelling nice. No need to use fabric softener or drying sheets.
    Each box lasts me three rounds of detergent and each round does about 25 loads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a detergent snob. Gain is the only detergent I will use and I won't use the powder, just liquid.

I get the 170 oz jug (110 loads) for $14.49. We only use 1/2 of the recommended amount per load, making it 220 loads per bottle for us.

It comes out to 6.59 cents per load for just the detergent. But, I also use Gain liquid fabric softener and Gain dryer sheets with each load. I love the smell of Gain and use all of the products just for the smell it leaves on all of our clothes, sheets, etc...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Tide HE and fabric softener as well as Clorax/Clorax 2. I pay around 35 cents a load and average 2.5 loads a week.

The HE washer costs me more for the HE detergent, but the extra cost is more than off set by the water savings.

Also, I don't use a dryer but if I did the HE gets more of the water out of the clothes so a dryer would have to run for a shorter amout of time, thus increasing the cost off-set.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

After checking out Charlie's Soap's site, I ordered their liquid detergent. Thanks GL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default a question for GrainLady

GrainLady!

I'm looking into purchasing some Charlie's Soap and I was wondering if you have any experience with any of their other products.

I'm looking for a small product I can carry on me to prevent stains from setting in while I'm out and about and the "emergency stain treater" caught my eye but I get the feeling it is just a dilution of their All Purpose Cleaner. If it is, then I'll add the All Purpose to my cart.

Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
    Ceashels
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    GrainLady!

I'm looking into purchasing some Charlie's Soap and I was wondering if you have any experience with any of their other products.

I'm looking for a small product I can carry on me to prevent stains from setting in while I'm out and about and the "emergency stain treater" caught my eye but I get the feeling it is just a dilution of their All Purpose Cleaner. If it is, then I'll add the All Purpose to my cart.

Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
    Ceashels
    I regularly use their liquid all-purpose cleaner for pre-treating stains on clothes, as well as general cleaning, but wasn't aware of an "emergency stain treater".

I keep a TIDE to go pen in my purse, which works well as a stain remover. A small container of Charlie's All-Purpose might work well too. If you use Charlie's All-Purpose full strength, you really need to rinse the treated surface with water. If you use it 1/2-strength, you can rinse the treated area with a wet sponge or cloth after applying it as a pre-treatment. You'll find that information on their web site - Safe, Non toxic, Biodegradable Soap - Charlie's Soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Excellent, thank you.

The "emergency stain treater" is in the Cleaning Combo Kit - Powder Laundry and NO where else on their site so that made me think it was just a small spritz bottle for their regular All Purpose Cleaner.

I'll save myself some money and pick up a small spritz bottle for myself when I get my order.

Thank you so much!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use Tide, but I will only buy laundry detergent that is equal to $.10 or less a load.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    I use Tide HE and fabric softener as well as Clorax/Clorax 2. I pay around 35 cents a load and average 2.5 loads a week.

The HE washer costs me more for the HE detergent, but the extra cost is more than off set by the water savings.

Also, I don't use a dryer but if I did the HE gets more of the water out of the clothes so a dryer would have to run for a shorter amout of time, thus increasing the cost off-set.
    I'm don't know if you are interested, but I have an he washing machine and I just use 1/2 of regular soap. Its way cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use whatever is on sale.Target had Arm and hammer clearanced @ $3.98/46 loads-$1. coupon=But i only use about 1/2 of what they say so $2.98/92 loads so 3 cents plus cold water and electricity. Never use dryer sheets.stain removers or fabric softener but I do dry them. I got 6 boxes for DD.

Tide= huge box at Sams was bashed in but still all there $12. for 360 loads by using 1/2 amt. so about 3.5 cents + electric and water.

I will check that Charlies soap too. DH uses purex and i get that at Big Lot when i get the Buzz Club extra 20% off . So that about $4.-20%=$3.20 for an average size bottle (don't know oz.) He needs the FREE though. i also have Gain stocked (3). So i am good for the year and into next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH has skin sensitivities so we have to be a bit more careful with what we buy. Usually we buy Purex liquid soap. I figured out that it costs us about $0.05/load. We also buy generic brand fabric softener, which costs us about $0.02/load. So all together it's about $0.07/load. At this time, we don't have a dryer, so everything is hung on a drying rack in the diningroom or on the deck.

I would like to start using Purex's 3-in-1 sheets, which will come out to be about $0.15/load. But that isn't any good to me til I get a dryer. And that won't be til August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast