HELP! My washing machine is making my clothes stink!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default HELP! My washing machine is making my clothes stink!

I inherited a front loader washing machine with my new place, but everytime I do a wash, the clothes come out smelling like a cross between stinky feet and a wet dog. It's really gross!

Any suggestions for how to get the stink out of my machine? I'd really prefer to not have to buy a new one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Have you ran an empty load on hot with bleach? Then take a soapy rag and scrub it out, especially around the seal. Leave the door open to let it air dry between uses.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Was looking online and I guess it's a common problem with Front load washers.Mold/mildew kinda thing. Constance gave you some good advise and I hope it helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Was gonna suggest what nuisance suggested however using vinegar instead of bleach. Both should work well. I'd go the bleach route first though to 'disinfect' it first.

Oh! Another tip DF told me to do with his HE washer - once the load is done washing and in the dryer...NEVER shut the door. He keeps his door opened wide after washing and open a decent sized crack after a day of letting it 'air dry' naturally. This way you won't be trapping the moisture inside at the base of the drum allow for a healthy growth of mold and mildew etc.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Agreed with the door open comments. Ours is in a small room and if left open, the door sorta blocks the 1/2 bath door. So I put a tennis ball on a string hanging in the door so it doesn't get closed inadvertenly.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Think for yourself, question everything.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Could be your water heater. Ours stank too when we first moved in here. Replaced the water heater a few weeks later and the smell went away.

Also, we have pretty "chunky" water. Technically it is some of the "cleanest" in the country but really it has a lot of "safe" biological stuff in it and if wet laundry sits for any length of time, especially in summer it gets that mildew smell pretty fast. So make sure you are cycling right into the dryer and not letting stuff sit.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

also try running a load of CLR or LimeAway - it will remove any crud in the washer. then a load of bleach.

agree about leaving it open. i have a regular ol top loader, but, it stays open when not in use just so it can air dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have one and I found that you have to leave the door open after a load for it to dry out.... otherwise yuck! the smell is horrid... also the vinigar wash sounds like what I would do..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the same problem with mine. A co-worker of mine said that the repair man told her to run the machine empty and use powdered diswasher soap. It will probably smell as it cleans. Do this once a week to keep it clean. Also wipe down the seal really good. Also wash your clothes with a cup of whit vinegar in the bleach section. This will help soften towels, brighten clothes and help with the odor in the clothes. also leave the door open after you have finished washing to let it dry out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gah, this is why I hate my front loader. I will never buy another again!!

Yes to leaving the door open all the time and also very good tips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Gah, this is why I hate my front loader. I will never buy another again!!

Yes to leaving the door open all the time and also very good tips.
    Thanks..........glad I read this thread.......I won't buy one...but my machine is still 'fairly new'.....not front load.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my front loader, but I wipe it dry after the last load of the day. Wipe the door, the rubber seal, the space in between the seal and the tub, and every other place where water can collect. And leave the door open.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We looked at these a few months ago and I'm so glad now that we didn't buy one. You'd think they would test machines and identify/fix problems like this before putting them on the market?

It's things like this (and having to flush the energy efficient toilet two or three times instead of once like with the older model) that make me less receptive to purchasing energy efficient models of anything. I know that's not a politically correct stance, but if people want me to embrace energy efficiency then they need to design products that work as well as the earlier, "less energy efficient model" and the products need to be convenient to use. Having to combat mold/mildew is not convenient, and I think it's something the manufacturers should fix rather than expecting consumers to just deal with it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
    We looked at these a few months ago and I'm so glad now that we didn't buy one. You'd think they would test machines and identify/fix problems like this before putting them on the market?

It's things like this (and having to flush the energy efficient toilet two or three times instead of once like with the older model) that make me less receptive to purchasing energy efficient models of anything. I know that's not a politically correct stance, but if people want me to embrace energy efficiency then they need to design products that work as well as the earlier, "less energy efficient model" and the products need to be convenient to use. Having to combat mold/mildew is not convenient, and I think it's something the manufacturers should fix rather than expecting consumers to just deal with it.
    Amen!!! I had to call the repair man the first year we bought ours!! I still don't feel our clothes get as clean as our ancient model did. Those suckers are so touchy, anything will clog those suckers.

I like the dryer though....but...I've never ever noticed a decrease in our electric nor water bill. It was the worst purchase and waste of money me and dh ever spent. I rather have my 70's washer back that I gave to my sister and it's still running strong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is what makes me hesitant....everyone I know who has one has this complaint. Mine is in an area where leaving the door open is just not practical!!! Not to mention open doors, drawers, cupboards of any kind drives me nuts! (OCD issues)
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast