Frugal Village Forums banner

Tide clone recipe

18K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  herbsgirl 
#1 ·
I made up this recipe, but I havent tried it yet. There are two 5 star reviews on Food.com already for it (Formerly recipezaar)

The SUN oxygen cleaner can be purchased a huge bucket at Dollar General. The SUN detergent with bleach can be purchased at Dollar Tree for $1. The Borax at Walmart, and the Washing Soda at alot of smaller chain grocery stores. I have made the liquid before, but this seems so much easier to mix up! I wanted something that would work as good as Tide with Bleach alternative! The SUN oxygen cleaner really does help whiten clothes!

Here is the link!

Tide Clone Laundry Detergent Recipe - Food.com - 359103

#5 ·
ON recipezaar, I posted the average cost... It may be more or less in your area depends on how much the supplies cost...

It also depends on how much you need to get your clothes clean.

1 Tablespoon per load = around 2 Cents per load
2 Tablespoon per load= around 3.5 cents per load
4 Tablespoon per load= around 7 cents per load

Tide does cost much more than this. I can get Xtra at Walmart for over 5 cents per load BUT Xtra may not whiten and brighten my clothes like I had in mind when I made this recipe, for the cheap cost the Tide Clone could??? I will mix up a batch and post on more updated costs, ect.

#7 ·
Just found a new recipe that is almost exactly like the one I created. (Tide clone) The only difference that it does not have the SUN with bleach alternative powder in it and she says you can add essential oils if you wish. Heres the link with more information about it. It can be used in HE washers too!

Cloth Diaper Laundry Detergent Recipe PIF by AikoArt on Etsy

#8 · (Edited)
Ok I have part of the ingredients... The Super Washing Soda and the Sun Oxygen Cleaner. I put 1/2 Tablespoon of each into my hot water wash for diapers, and it works! It is going to cost me about 1.00+ a month to wash my cloth diapers using 1/2 T. each in 1 hot water wash everyday. I dont have to pay for heating the water, and we dont have to pay for the electric OR the water because we live in the country, and it all comes with my DH job.

My diapers seem to come out brightened, a bit whitened and fresh. Loving the Washing soda/ Oxygen Cleaner so far! Will update on how the Tide Clone recipe comes out for me money wise! I still have to get Borax at Walmart and Sun with Bleach at dollar Tree

#9 ·
Thanks for the recipe! Already have the washing soda and Borax from a previous detergent recipe.

#10 ·
Update on my recipe! I made the original Tide Clone recipe (see below) and here is what I found: I bought all the ingredients, I found Borax at Walmart, Sun w/ Bleach at Dollar Tree, big bucket of Sun oxygen cleaner at Dollar General and Washing soda at my County Market Grocey store.

I added tax to each of the prices, and measured out how many cups were in each box, then did some math.

I came up with using 1 Tablespoon in a large load of laundry will cost 2.1 cents per load. I have tried it in my washing machine and it seems to help with whiten/brightening my clothes! Its so easy to mix up too. I just used a ziploc type bag, put equal amounts (1/3 cup) of each ingredient, closed the bag, then mixed it easily by tossing it back and forth.

Tide Clone Recipe

1 cup Sun with Bleach powder detergent( dollar tree)
1 cup Sun Oxygen cleaner (Walmart or Dollar General)
1 cup Borax (Walmart or grocey store
1 cup Washing Soda (Grocery store, ect)

Mix well. Use 1 Tablespoon for every load. 2.1 cents per load! This whitens brightens and you will have clean laundry too! You can use more for extra soiled clothes, but you will be shocked how much just one Tablespoon will do!

Cloth Diaper Detergent

1 cup Borax
1 cup SUN oxygen cleaner
1 cup Washing soda

Mix and use 1 Tablespoon per load, use vinegar in the rinse cycle. This is cheap and easy and also helps to get stains and stinks out of your cloth diapers, while also cleaning them, and preventing the buildup that you get when you use regular laundry detergnent on your diapers

#11 ·
Thanks for the recipe. I made this the other day. I have a question. Do you just use the 1tbsp per load and no other detergent? That is what I have been doing. Actually I've used 2-tbsp. Thanks again.

The sun oxygen cleaner is about how many cups per container? I could not find it at Dollar General only Oxy-clean. I did find a small 2-cup size at Dollar Tree.

#12 ·
I usually use it without any other soaps most of the time, and I only use around 1 Tablespoon for every load, even huge loads. If I was trying to get some really dirty stuff clean, I might add 2 Tablespoons. Even at 4 cents per load, that would still be a pretty good price.
The Sun oxygen cleaner at Dollar General is a nice sized bucket!
Here is the list of the ingredients and what I paid for them

SUN with bleach alternative...dollar tree $1.00 + tax around 8 cups
SUN Oxygen cleaner....Dollar General $5.00 + tax around 12 cups
Arm and Hammer Washing soda 2.63 + tax around 6 cups
Borax (Walmart) around 3.74 + tax around 10 cups

The Oxygen cleaner can be gotten at Walmart, Dollar Tree, or other grocery stores. and you can use Oxyclean in place of it, but it will be much more cost effective if you use the SUN or off-brand oxygen cleaner stuff, unless you get really good coupons with Oxyclean or something!

#14 ·
Anybody else try the Tide Clone, how much did you use, how did it work?

Ive been using 1 Tablespoon (2.1 cents) even with large loads, now Im going to try 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons...4.2 cents) and then 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup...8.4 cents) and just see what happens. No matter what, it still is cheaper than Tide with Bleach which runs around 20-22 cents per load.

I found some more information, someone took the Tide Clone recipe and made their own variation to it, she used Purex instead of SUN powder detergent, and used baking soda. I think the most important ingredient is the SUN oxygen cleaner. (dollar tree has an off brand oxygen cleaner that can be used also)

Heres the links......
MotheringDotCommunity Forums - View Single Post - Whats wrong with Purex?

MotheringDotCommunity Forums - View Single Post - Whats wrong with Purex?

#15 ·
:laundry: I've been using this for about 2 weeks now in my front loader.
I love it! The clothes come out so clean and bright.
They are not as stiff anymore either. I guess it was too much soap before. I'm using 1 tablespoon in each load.

#17 ·
I'm going to try this. I have the ingredients. I already make the other liquid laundry soap. I keep a box of Sun and add a bit to my loads when my whites need a little more zing. Also I keep the oxygen and add it on occasion. Going to mix some up.

#18 ·
I made the Tide clone in August when my HM liquid ran out. I absolutely love the Tide clone. And, it is so simple to make. I've used vinegar as a rinse for years and wouldn't change to fabric softener for anything.

#19 ·
Thanks so much for this!! I can't wait to try it. I have everything except for the Sun w/Bleach that I'll pick up today on my way home from work...and I'll use it this weekend!!! Going to use the vinegar for softner too...I'll post the results!!

#20 ·
Hijacking (well sort of)!

I've made the borax, A&H washing soda with a bar of grated ivory soap recipe and used it for months...loved the cost and how easy the recipe was BUT over time I noticed the borax was FADING my colours! That's some seriously strong stuff so be careful with your coloured clothes! Also, a friend of mine is convinced that it was eating the fabric of all her clothes (this was with regular use) and stopped using all the HM recipes that called for borax.

#21 ·
Leave the borax out! I dont see why you cant try leaving it out! The SUN oxygen cleaner is the main secret ingredient that makes it work so well!

I am using this Tide Clone for alot of my laundry! I like how that it helps to whiten my diaper covers, as they have a white ribbing around them!

It also really helps remove stains in my boys everyday pants and stuff.

It even removed most of the gum off of my son's Bible case!

If something is heavily soiled or VERY DIRTY I add extra Tide Clone to the washer kind of an alternative to adding Purex 2 or whatever. It adds extra cleaning power for those really dirty things.

#25 ·
i am gonna give this a try...

anything to save a few pennies...

#27 ·
I'm curious if anyone with sensitve skin has used this & what were the results? I *cannot* use the regular Sun liquid detergent, I break out into welts every time, I know that you're talking about the Sun with bleach alternative here for this particular recipe but I am still wondering if it would be worth it for me to buy the ingredients to give it a try.

Someone mentioned above me, momof2boys2005 (I think) mentioned using just the regular laundry detergent recipe & it taking the color out of the dark clothes...yes. it. does.
Whether it's the Borax or Washing Soda...or well, even the Fels Naptha, I can't say for certain but it will begin to drain the color out of your dark clothes.

Back to the recipe in *this* thread though, as far as using it with darker colors, has anyone noticed any fading over time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.