Dawn dishsoap as Laundry detergent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Dawn dishsoap as Laundry detergent

I just read a recipe online you mix 7 cups of water with 1 cup of Dawn dishsoap and use it with the Tide measuring cup for each load. I dont know if its cost worthy, but I want to try it! I do have greasy clothes, so this might help. Also, One would have to play around with the **amount** measured for each load. The Tide measuring cap could be way too much! Frugally, one would want to use the least amount possible that would still do the job.

I also read about using 2 tsp of Ajax for laundry detergent, so you could try the same with Dawn using 1 or 2 tsp per load.

Equal amounts of Ammonia, Dawn, and Water are supposed to be really good for stains too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out. You would think there would be alot of bubbles. It would be great for DH's greasy clothes from the shop.
    Oct No Spend Days - 17 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 257 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $85 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1480 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am thinking that this would be great for DH's "play" clothes. He works on the car and does other oily and smelly things out in his shop.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am anxious to follow this topic! Post your results, please!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yup - I want to hear about your results too - wish I hadn't already washed the curtains from preschool - would have been perfect to do. Changing bed linens today - have found the test wash!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post
    I just read a recipe online you mix 7 cups of water with 1 cup of Dawn dishsoap and use it with the Tide measuring cup for each load. I dont know if its cost worthy, but I want to try it! I do have greasy clothes, so this might help. Also, One would have to play around with the **amount** measured for each load. The Tide measuring cap could be way too much! Frugally, one would want to use the least amount possible that would still do the job.
    sodium lauryl sulafte is sodium lauryl sulfate.

not sure if this would be a savings, though...
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, from dollar general I just bought Ultra Concentrated Dawn the other day. IT cost me 1.35 + tax for 10.3 oz. Which is around 55 cents for 1/2 cup Dawn. I will post more on amounts soon as I exermemint... on amounts ect. People have said Dawn works as a pre-treat for stains, so maybe as a laundry detergent it would keep the stains down...

If you doubled the 55 cents would be around 1.10 for 1 cup of Dawn to 7 cups water in the recipe. Lets say you use 1/8 cup per load would be a respectable cost of 1.7 cents per load. Even 1/4 cup per load would be 3.4 cents per load. The 1.7 cents per load is cheap detergent, even at 3.4 cents per load is pretty good.

That is just figures, I will try it soon and let you know how the 1/8 cup or 1/4 cup work out whether it is too much soap, not enough, or just right.

Also I read that using vinegar in the rinse when you use this seems to help cut the soap ect...or whatever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried it it works in a pinch if you have run out of laundry soap, it did not get the clothes as clean, I have used this method when I am out and the stores are closed.

It seems to be more water and bubbles then anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I still had a regular top loading washing machine, I would put a few drops of Dawn in with the detergent to get some of the oily smell out of DH work clothes. ((He's a auto mechanic)) Worked pretty good, but now that I've got this HE machine, I haven't tried it...little leery about that one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea. Ds is washing the cover for his futon mattress he's had for year. I don't remember it ever being washed before?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use liquid dish soap as a pretreater for food drips on our clothing. It generally works and is much gentler than Spray and Wash.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ran out of regular liquid laundry detergent (I don't have a washing machine so I hand wash everything) about a week ago and since then I've been using cheap store brand dish soap. It works fine. Maybe the clothes aren't as clean but we don't get our clothes dirty - DH is a teacher and I'm a housewife, so we're not covered in oil or anything hehe. I certainly don't think they aren't clean, they smell good, look good.

We're moving in 15 days (aaahhh!!!! LOL) and I just don't see the point in buying a whole bottle of detergent for two weeks and then having to move it with everything else. "Use what you have" is my mantra these days

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Great idea. Ds is washing the cover for his futon mattress he's had for year. I don't remember it ever being washed before?
    Hahaha! Thanks for the chuckle-I can't stop laughing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried to spot treat with Dawn dishsoap but never tried using it as detergent. I did however try to use it as a dishwasher detergent with some very bad results. I would only assume that the same would occur in the washing machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I am using the new Dawn Stain recipe
    (1 cup water, 1 cup Dawn, 1 cup Ammonia) in place of the expensive Oxyclean!!!!!!!!

When I used the Dawn that was not concentrated I just used 1 part dawn, 1 part Ammonia! Much cheaper than Oxyclean!

Grease is one of the main stain problems in our household. Grease and grasstain!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast