Frugal Village Forums banner

Microfiber towels losing ability to absorb water

10K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dcompton 
#1 ·
We have purchased microfiber towels and washcloths based on demos of their incredible ability to absorb water. They worked fine initially. However, after just a couple of washings, they repel water like duck feathers! Water literally beads up and runs off. We also purchased some moisture-wicking polo shirts for my husband last summer, which kept him dry and comfortable during sweaty summer months. He now tells me they no longer work. We have medium hard city water and use All Free & Clear. I do not use fabric softeners. How do I keep these fabrics working as intended? Have any of you found a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance for your advice.

#2 ·
Interesting. I find that water can bead and flow over my microcloths but once they start absorbing it they suck it up. I tend to submerge the cleaning cloths first then wring them out. They still absorb a lot of moisture but do the job better when they are not dry to start.

The brand of cloths I have are reported to last about 1000 washings, so it might be the life of the fiber that is causing the problem.

If there is any conditioner in the All Free and Clear that could also inhibit absorption. Have you tried giving your cloths a soak (and boil) in just water and a little Dawn detergent to see if any oils have built up and can be removed.? It may be worth a try.

#5 ·
I hate microfiber. Bought some for dishtowels and dishcloths and ended up using them for rags after maybe 2 weeks. Never again. I like it for furniture ... nothing else.

#6 ·
The ones I have say to dry them on low. Are you drying them too hot? I usually pull them out and air dry with the other things don't put in the dryer, and I've had no problem. I use an apartment laundry room and the dryers get really hot, so I thought that was the best option for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.