Frugal Village Forums banner

What laundry detergent do you use?

18K views 129 replies 103 participants last post by  Neeley 
#1 ·
I'm currently using Purex (store had a great sale on it) and it seems to be doing a good job and is not as costly as other brands. It irks me to spend so much money on the name brands (Tide, etc). What is your fav laundry detergent? I need some ideas please!!!

#2 ·
I use Tide exclusively, I have found it gets our clothes cleaner. With two messy young girls in the house, it is important for me to have something that works efficiently the first time I use it. With other detergents I found I was washing some things twice to get all the stains out, even with pretreatment. That wastes both time AND money. And the Tide with Febreeze smells yummy!

#5 ·
I use to use what was on sale, but then I started using Wisk. Now that dh has the new army uniforms, I have to use Cheer. There are only a few laundry soaps that you can use to wash them. I hate having more than one detergent just in case I grab the wrong one, so I just started using Cheer on everything.

#8 ·
I use them all. Whatever is on sale, but I like the smell of Gain. I always seem to use too much of any laundry detergent. I always end up putting more in, I don't know why because I know more is not always better, but having four kids I tend to overload the washer so I add more. I buy Purex most of the time becuase it is cheap. Does anyone else overload? I hate when my kids do laundry and put in four things when the hamper is loaded!!

#9 ·
yeah. . I tend to overload too and it's only me in the household. . lol. And then I put more detergent in to compensate for the additional clothes. I have to be really conscious about not doing it. I'm 50 years old. . you'd think I'd learn. . !!!

#11 ·
well i normally use whats one sale. but lately i ahve been buying "era" at menards. they always have it for $10.99 for a 300oz bottle. but lately ia hve had alot of coupons for "all" and i've been picking that up on sale too.

#12 ·
I use liquid All Free and Clear. I have sensitive skin and most other detergents make me break out in a rash.

#14 ·
Whatever is cheapest. Haven't really had a problem with any detergents not cleaning or anything... Era is usually really cheap, actually bought Save A Lot's brand the other day and it worked pretty good for me... doesn't smell as good as the more popular brands, but it gets the job done.

#18 ·
We're a Purex family here. Hubby is a ramp agent for airlines and it actually gets his uniforms clean. I'm allergic to Tide and this seems to have been the best alternative we've found.

Wife to Eric (3.5 years)
Mom to Ethan ( 2.5 years)
Mom to be to Landon ( scheduled c-section 8-4)

#115 ·
I don't know if you are aware of this, but I have a front loader washing machine and when I was going to purchase it the salesperson said I had to use special soap. I said I couldn't buy it because I had too much stocked laundry soap. He looked it up in the book and you can use regular detergeant just 1/2 the amount. Problem is if you use full strength there are too many suds because of the less water

#20 ·
I have to be careful because DD has excema, but I find she is ok with most detergents, just have be careful of fabric softeners, and I can't use fabric softener sheets at all for her. I like Purex, but prefer Arm & Hammer.
Whatever is cheapest.

#24 ·
I really like Tide with Febreeze and when I'm feeling ummm not so frugal I will buy it, most of the time it's when I start shopping for something different and smell it I fold and make the purchase. I use Surf most of the time and am satisfied with it, though I have noticed that the choices at WM are getting slimer and slimer when it comes to powder. Is there some kind of liquid detergent conspiracy ?

#25 ·
Tide is definitely my favorite, but will use others when on sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.